Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)
    Got a question I'm a bit stuck on, care to help Zacken or anyone else for that matter? It's more pure stuff :flutter:

The function \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f\end{equation*  } is defined by

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x)= \frac{1}{x^3(1+Inx)}\end{equatio  n*} where \displaystyle \begin{equation*}x>0\end{equatio  n*}

Show that \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow{-\infty}\end{equation*} as \displaystyle \begin{equation*}x \rightarrow{0}\end{equation*}

I've managed to show that \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow\infty\end{equation*} instead of showing \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow{-\infty}\end{equation*}, got no idea where the minus is coming from.
    Impressive \LaTeX!

\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x\to 0} (1 + \ln x) = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to 0} x^3(1 + \ln x) = 0 but in the negative sense, if you get me?

Look at the graph of \ln x for 0 < x < 1 to see why \ln x diverges to -\infty.

Although to be fair - if you have a limit that equals either plus or minus infinity, it's pretty much the same thing in that the limit does not exist.

(Original post by Zacken)
    Impressive \LaTeX!

\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x\to 0} (1 + \ln x) = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to 0} x^3(1 + \ln x) = 0 but in the negative sense, if you get me?

Look at the graph of \ln x for 0 < x < 1 to see why \ln x diverges to -\infty
    Haha I know right! Took me a while to get the hang of it.

We went through this is class earlier today, we knew it was obviously -\infty considering the graph but is this just an assumption we make? Is there no way to explicitly get \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow{-\infty}\end{equation*} or do we just go off assumption because of the graph?

Although to be fair - if you have a limit that equals either plus or minus infinity, it's pretty much the same thing in that the limit does not exist.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseGatz)
    Haha I know right! Took me a while to get the hang of it.

We went through this is class earlier today, we knew it was obviously -\infty considering the graph but is this just an assumption we make? Is there no way to explicitly get \displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow{-\infty}\end{equation*} or do we just go off assumption because of the graph?
    Saying that \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \infty is a shorthand way of saying that the limit doesn't exist, i.e: that it diverges. Having anything =\infty nearly almost always never makes sense. So fussing about whether it's plus or minus infinity is something that we don't really tend to do because in either case - we're still just saying that the limit doesn't exist.

If you want some justification for why \lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty, you could try looking at \lim_{x \to -1} \ln (1 + x) = \lim_{x \to -1} (x - x^2 /2 + x^3/3 - \cdots ), might work - I haven't thought about it properly though, I'm rushing this out.

Most of the things you do with limits is based on epsilon-delta proofs, that is, the formal condition for limits and once you start working with infinity in there, that falls apart because you can't have something converge to infinity - so at this level, you're reduced to looking at graphs and making assumptions instead of working with things like you would in a real analysis course.

This: http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...nity-not-exist may shed some light on what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the x^3 responsible for its divergence to -infinity, since as x approaches 0 ln(x) becomes large and negative therefore making the fraction small and negative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Isn't the x^3 responsible for its divergence to -infinity, since as x approaches 0 ln(x) becomes large and negative therefore making the fraction small and negative?
    x^3 is what causes the divergence to infinity. x^3 \ln x is what causes the divergence to -\infty. The user is enquiring as to the negative sign.

ReputationRep:
    x^3 is what causes the divergence to infinity. x^3 \ln x is what causes the divergence to -\infty. The user is enquiring as to the negative sign.
    sorry misread

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.