The Student Room Group

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark V

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoseGatz
Got a question I'm a bit stuck on, care to help @Zacken or anyone else for that matter? It's more pure stuff :flutter:

The function
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}f\end{equation*}

is defined by

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x)= \frac{1}{x^3(1+Inx)}\end{equation*}

where

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}x>0\end{equation*}

Show that

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow{-\infty}\end{equation*}

as

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}x \rightarrow{0}\end{equation*}

I've managed to show that

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}f(x) \rightarrow\infty\end{equation*}

instead of showing

, got no idea where the minus is coming from.

Impressive LaTeX\LaTeX!

limx0lnx=limx0(1+lnx)=limx0x3(1+lnx)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x\to 0} (1 + \ln x) = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to 0} x^3(1 + \ln x) = 0 but in the negative sense, if you get me?

Look at the graph of lnx\ln x for 0<x<10 < x < 1 to see why lnx\ln x diverges to -\infty.

Although to be fair - if you have a limit that equals either plus or minus infinity, it's pretty much the same thing in that the limit does not exist.
Original post by Zacken
Impressive LaTeX\LaTeX!

limx0lnx=limx0(1+lnx)=limx0x3(1+lnx)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x\to 0} (1 + \ln x) = -\infty \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to 0} x^3(1 + \ln x) = 0 but in the negative sense, if you get me?

Look at the graph of lnx\ln x for 0<x<10 < x < 1 to see why lnx\ln x diverges to -\infty

Haha I know right! Took me a while to get the hang of it.

We went through this is class earlier today, we knew it was obviously -\infty considering the graph but is this just an assumption we make? Is there no way to explicitly get

or do we just go off assumption because of the graph?

Original post by Zacken
Although to be fair - if you have a limit that equals either plus or minus infinity, it's pretty much the same thing in that the limit does not exist.

:confused:
Original post by RoseGatz
Haha I know right! Took me a while to get the hang of it.

We went through this is class earlier today, we knew it was obviously -\infty considering the graph but is this just an assumption we make? Is there no way to explicitly get

or do we just go off assumption because of the graph?

Saying that limxaf(x)=\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \infty is a shorthand way of saying that the limit doesn't exist, i.e: that it diverges. Having anything ==\infty nearly almost always never makes sense. So fussing about whether it's plus or minus infinity is something that we don't really tend to do because in either case - we're still just saying that the limit doesn't exist.

If you want some justification for why limx0lnx=\lim_{x \to 0} \ln x = -\infty, you could try looking at limx1ln(1+x)=limx1(xx2/2+x3/3)\lim_{x \to -1} \ln (1 + x) = \lim_{x \to -1} (x - x^2 /2 + x^3/3 - \cdots ), might work - I haven't thought about it properly though, I'm rushing this out.

Most of the things you do with limits is based on epsilon-delta proofs, that is, the formal condition for limits and once you start working with infinity in there, that falls apart because you can't have something converge to infinity - so at this level, you're reduced to looking at graphs and making assumptions instead of working with things like you would in a real analysis course.

This: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/127689/why-does-a-limit-at-infinity-not-exist may shed some light on what I meant.
Isn't the x^3 responsible for its divergence to -infinity, since as x approaches 0 ln(x) becomes large and negative therefore making the fraction small and negative?
Original post by drandy76
Isn't the x^3 responsible for its divergence to -infinity, since as x approaches 0 ln(x) becomes large and negative therefore making the fraction small and negative?

x3x^3 is what causes the divergence to infinity. x3lnxx^3 \ln x is what causes the divergence to -\infty. The user is enquiring as to the negative sign.
Original post by Zacken
x3x^3 is what causes the divergence to infinity. x3lnxx^3 \ln x is what causes the divergence to -\infty. The user is enquiring as to the negative sign.

sorry misread:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending