Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Is it not (1-cosx) in the bracket? I maybe wrong, did it in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickel_w)
    hey guys, does anyone know if we have to know double angle formulae for C3 or do they only come up in C4???

Also, does anyone know if this is the last year of the maths spec (like it was in chemistry)? Because today's chemistry paper was quite horrible and apparently it's because it was the last one from this syllabus.. I wonder if it will be the same for maths?
    Double angled formula is for C4 only I think. And next year is the last year I think. I think

ReputationRep:
    Also, a couple more questions if someone doesn't mind answering..
    say you have 2 functions f(x) and g(x) each with a different domain, and you are asked to find gf(x) or fg(x) and state its domain. How would you know what it is?

Aaaand one last thing, what's the hardest C3 paper you have done? I think I've nearly done all the past papers but would like to have a go at the hardest one and see how it goes ^^

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping for difficult differentiation and integration but please no graphs, I hate drawing

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, does anyone know if we have to know double angle formulae for C3 or do they only come up in C4???

Also, does anyone know if this is the last year of the maths spec (like it was in chemistry)? Because today's chemistry paper was quite horrible and apparently it's because it was the last one from this syllabus.. I wonder if it will be the same for maths?
    I think its a myth, every year complains their paper was hard, anyways its not the last year for the maths spec. There will definitely be at least another year as some of my friends in lower sixth are doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    I think its a myth, every year complains their paper was hard, anyways its not the last year for the maths spec. There will definitely be at least another year as some of my friends in lower sixth are doing it.
    Hmm, I guess, but judging by the difficulty of today's chem paper that myth has some truth in it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Did you use reverse bracket/chain rule there? If so, that is incorrect as what you have their doesn't look like it differentiates to the integral.

To use that rule, either the function inside the bracket must be linear, or the derivative of the function is outside the bracket, e.g. f'(x)*(f(x))^n

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I am hoping for difficult differentiation and integration but please no graphs, I hate drawing
    Yep, especially inverse trig graphs...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, especially inverse trig graphs...
    Oh my God they are the worst

ReputationRep:

Double Angle formulae are Core 4, you can use your formula book for them anyway surely?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Knowing how awful AQA are they'll come up tomorrow now and I'll be eating my words. But they're core 4....I did that Chem4 paper too..waved my A grade goodbye...
    This isn't the last year for this spec, the current AS pupils sat the same exams that any A2 students resat, the new spec in maths starts 2017. This is what my college told me. It better not be awful or I'll scream

ReputationRep:
    I just keep trying to draw them on my calc, intersecting random lines to get the end points.

ReputationRep:
    I did a paper yesterday (can't remember the year) and drawing/sketching graphs was in about half the questions. The other half had the graphs already drawn and you had to work stuff out... Not a pleasant experience

(Original post by mgill17)
    Double Angle formulae are Core 4, you can use your formula book for them anyway surely?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Knowing how awful AQA are they'll come up tomorrow now and I'll be eating my words. But they're core 4....I did that Chem4 paper too..waved my A grade goodbye...
    This isn't the last year for this spec, the current AS pupils sat the same exams that any A2 students resat, the new spec in maths starts 2017. This is what my college told me. It better not be awful or I'll scream
    I thought they weren't in the formula book? Wow lol I've written them out on a sheet and have been learning them
    And I know, tell me about it. Worst chemistry paper I've done... Hopefully maths will be better. I'm not even asking for an 'easy' paper, just a fair one :/

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 550209550203
    [Note. You may assume that cot(π/2-x)=tanx]

(Original post by MahuduElec)
    My attempt, no idea if correct.EDIT: +C of course
    Forget the first one.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I did a paper yesterday (can't remember the year) and drawing/sketching graphs was in about half the questions. The other half had the graphs already drawn and you had to work stuff out... Not a pleasant experience

I thought they weren't in the formula book? Wow lol I've written them out on a sheet and have been learning them
    And I know, tell me about it. Worst chemistry paper I've done... Hopefully maths will be better. I'm not even asking for an 'easy' paper, just a fair one :/
    They're on the bottom of page five. But you would have to derive the other two variations for Cos2x if you needed them so maybe if you've learnt them that's not in vain

I don't have any words to describe how awful the chem paper was. The AS papers were fairly standard in maths compared to every other year, similar sort of difficulty as last year, so hopefully C3 and 4 will be too.

Saying that I did the CHEM2 resit and that was pretty standard for a chem paper...then today happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fudge2)
    I think it's because the inverse function's range is the domain of the original function, so you know that the range of f^-1(x) is f^-1(x)>=3, and if you had the minus one then you'd get values less than 3 so it has to be the plus one?
    Ah yeah of course, thanks for that and good luck for tomos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    Name:  arctan integral.png
Views: 294
Size:  13.9 KB
    No way anything like that comes up, like, no way... I don't even know where to start on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    Name:  arctan integral.png
Views: 294
Size:  13.9 KB
    IMAGINE the riots if anything like that came up with no part A's or anything ,,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahuduElec)
    Did you use reverse bracket/chain rule there? If so, that is incorrect as what you have their doesn't look like it differentiates to the integral.

To use that rule, either the function inside the bracket must be linear, or the derivative of the function is outside the bracket, e.g. f'(x)*(f(x))^n
    wow ur right. I was gonna go into the exam thinking that xD. But I dont think they will give u tthat anyway unless its a substitution question or something

ReputationRep:
    say you have 2 functions f(x) and g(x) each with a different domain, and you are asked to find gf(x) or fg(x) and state its domain. How would you know what it is?

Aaaand one last thing, what's the hardest C3 paper you have done? I think I've nearly done all the past papers but would like to have a go at the hardest one and see how it goes ^^
    Can someone answer they above please if they have the time? Thanks

ReputationRep:

I dont think they will ask for the domain of fg(x). Do you have an example from anywhere it has come up?

As for the hardest paper definitely the 2013-2015 ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.