The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
there's really no leaving this site is there :lol:

welcome back

what is it that you do sir, i want to be involved in this conversation

Trade fx algorithmically using python on ECNs. Main reason is because of the scale of liquidity, and leverage available, which lends it itself well to lucrative market manipulation.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Trade fx algorithmically using python on ECNs. Main reason is because of the scale of liquidity, and leverage available, which lends it itself well to lucrative market manipulation.

Hi Barry,

here's a question for you

my main investment to date seems to have been in education capital,

but with regards to my £150k portfolio, which has made a (modest) loss two quarters running,

what do you think i should do with this capital?

Leave it all with irwin mitchell asset management who take the populist route at diversifying in the market, to my losses,

or take it all out and put it all in bitgold?

What do you think of that plan??

john robinson
Legally classified as "sole trader".

I said it may have been a factor, which you agree with.

Never said I wanted to be an African dictator I just admired the particular dictator's tactics.

Look, if you've got the wits and the skills and the resources to trade for yourself then good luck to you and whilst I disagree with your idea of risk free amongst other things, you certainly could make yourself some money.

I disagree with the idea that all of these things are possible with any such ease within the structure of the corporate world. When you've worked and achieved great things within a bank or a fund, come back and argue your point.

I would suspect that your attitude and maybe more is the reason for you not being employed by such a firm.

No, sorry, you were definitely of the opinion that I was hired by men who just saw a v***** over my CV and average face. Re read your own comments and try again.

Great, you and said African dictator can agree on tactics over in Africa and far away from the rest of us thanks.
Original post by john2054
Hi Barry,

here's a question for you

my main investment to date seems to have been in education capital,

but with regards to my £150k portfolio, which has made a (modest) loss two quarters running,

what do you think i should do with this capital?

Leave it all with irwin mitchell asset management who take the populist route at diversifying in the market, to my losses,

or take it all out and put it all in bitgold?

What do you think of that plan??

john robinson

Unless you have a particular reason to invest in bitgold, and a way to quantify your exposure to risk, then I wouldn't invest in it. I would be inclined to leave it with Irwin Mitchell. But I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable in long-term investing.

I very much doubt that you are regularly manipulating the foreign exchange market as a sole trader from your bedroom to any significant extent with regards to your PnL.
Original post by leavingthecity
Look, if you've got the wits and the skills and the resources to trade for yourself then good luck to you and whilst I disagree with your idea of risk free amongst other things, you certainly could make yourself some money.

I disagree with the idea that all of these things are possible with any such ease within the structure of the corporate world. When you've worked and achieved great things within a bank or a fund, come back and argue your point.

I would suspect that your attitude and maybe more is the reason for you not being employed by such a firm.

No, sorry, you were definitely of the opinion that I was hired by men who just saw a v***** over my CV and average face. Re read your own comments and try again.

Great, you and said African dictator can agree on tactics over in Africa and far away from the rest of us thanks.

+1

Posted from TSR Mobile
I very much doubt that you are regularly manipulating the foreign exchange market as a sole trader from your bedroom to any significant extent with regards to your PnL.

Do you understand how an ECN works? (Not being rude this time, genuinely)

All I have to do in essence is send out quotes at prices which I can hedge at an arbitrage instantly, or I am likely to be able to hedge at an arbitrage in the near future.

I don't need to be a tier-1 liquidity provider in an ECN. An ECN simply matches trades. Hence why I can do what I say I do.

I could easily call that "racist", as you called my comment "sexist". I'm London born, half English. But I'm not a liberal. See, taking offence is a choice.
I could easily call that "racist", as you called my comment "sexist". I'm London born, half English. But I'm not a liberal. See, taking offence is a choice.

Errr you've commented so much on my appearance how have you been able to miss the fact that I am the same....

If you admire that tyrant so much, and want to freely spout sexist drivel without confrontation, then, go live with him.

why do you plan on going back to university, i havent read all this thread but are you in a completely different sector to finance atm that you cant apply as experienced hire/network?
Errr you've commented so much on my appearance how have you been able to miss the fact that I am the same....

If you admire that tyrant so much, and want to freely spout sexist drivel without confrontation, then, go live with him.

dont feed it sweety, let it be
Do you understand how an ECN works? (Not being rude this time, genuinely)

All I have to do in essence is send out quotes at prices which I can hedge at an arbitrage instantly, or I am likely to be able to hedge at an arbitrage in the near future.

I don't need to be a tier-1 liquidity provider in an ECN. An ECN simply matches trades. Hence why I can do what I say I do.

Yes for the nth time. I am just leaving the interbank market, it was years ago that I had the experience of being a broker and being in a swap with a client so you can appreciate that this kind of broking is closer to what I am familiar with, though I have nothing to do with retail clients or people trading from their bedrooms. Unless you are trading at a bank with their money, your trades are going to be insignificant as will be your profits regardless of the kind of access you have to the market via an ECN.
Original post by welcometoib
why do you plan on going back to university, i havent read all this thread but are you in a completely different sector to finance atm that you cant apply as experienced hire/network?

It's just that the market is changing fast, and I want to gain the skills to stay alive! Broking, agency broking and research are all areas that I've been in and are undergoing massive reforms due to regulation and technological advances and I need to stay ahead of that. Also, an increasing number of firms are barring those without degrees from working for them, for example, I interviewed with GS maybe a year ago but was on the phone to a recruitment agent today who told me that they won't hire without a degree. So something changed in a year. Barclays did the same recently even going as far as to haul junior traders who had fought their way into the floor and were making good money for the firm without a degree, back into the middle/back office. They literally demoted traders who didn't have a degree. Broking, especially voice, is in major decline. I don't know how my friends and colleagues are going to live or how they're going to keep their jobs over the coming decades as the market changes. It's not happening to me and it's best to learn new skills young.
Yes for the nth time. I am just leaving the interbank market, it was years ago that I had the experience of being a broker and being in a swap with a client so you can appreciate that this kind of broking is closer to what I am familiar with, though I have nothing to do with retail clients or people trading from their bedrooms. Unless you are trading at a bank with their money, your trades are going to be insignificant as will be your profits regardless of the kind of access you have to the market via an ECN.

Ok. I am now convinced you understand how an ECN works.

Yes, I don't have the money to be able to influence the interbank market to any significant degree. However, enough of my quotes get matched for me to able to make a living. Am I a millionaire? Of course not. But I live rather comfortably, and I have no boss. Do I believe I could make more? Yes, hence why I spend my non-TSR spare time reading literature on quant finance and market making.

I appreciate that you take the time to justify your opposition to what I say, not just resorting to ad homs.
Original post by welcometoib
dont feed it sweety, let it be

I bet that makes all the women swoon.
Ok. I am now convinced you understand how an ECN works.

Yes, I don't have the money to be able to influence the interbank market to any significant degree. However, enough of my quotes get matched for me to able to make a living. Am I a millionaire? Of course not. But I live rather comfortably, and I have no boss. Do I believe I could make more? Yes, hence why I spend my non-TSR spare time reading literature on quant finance and market making.

I appreciate that you take the time to justify your opposition to what I say, not just resorting to ad homs.

Now, whilst I still disagree with your 'everything is possible' mantra, good for you that you can be your own boss and make money and do something you obviously like to do. Unlikely you'll become that billionaire, but so what? I went in to make money, couldn't care less about the stuff right now as long as I can eat and shop in Zara.
Now, whilst I still disagree with your 'everything is possible' mantra, good for you that you can be your own boss and make money and do something you obviously like to do. Unlikely you'll become that billionaire, but so what? I went in to make money, couldn't care less about the stuff right now as long as I can eat and shop in Zara.

ngl, your path is pretty admirable, if i knew ways to get into finance without a degree, that would've been my first avenue
Original post by gr8wizard10
ngl, your path is pretty admirable, if i knew ways to get into finance without a degree, that would've been my first avenue

Be glad you didn't. You really need one if you want to do really well and also keep your options open. It's a case of everyone has one, so you need one too. 30 years ago you were fine to do that, in the Big Bang you could get in and make a lot of money that way. I went in through that same traditional route but there's just less money and stability to be had today.
Be glad you didn't. You really need one if you want to do really well and also keep your options open. It's a case of everyone has one, so you need one too. 30 years ago you were fine to do that, in the Big Bang you could get in and make a lot of money that way. I went in through that same traditional route but there's just less money and stability to be had today.

You have quite an unusual situation. How are you planning to adapt to this kind of change?
Original post by glebp
You have quite an unusual situation. How are you planning to adapt to this kind of change?

Getting my degree, finally, and having a focus on tech. May or may not go back into it though. It's not an unusual situation, everything is changing for everyone with technological advancements and MiFiD and SEF.

Quick Reply