Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skillzaismine)
    I think what she meant was make educated guess about the situation, like don't create a whole new story that isn't found in the text. Eg: "he had a picture of his wife in his wallet" so you'd say "I love my wife blah blah"

For question two she said that you shouldn't use individual words bc it's unlikely that they'll be in the mark scheme. By effect she meant why use that phrase instead of a more simple word. What image does it create etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didnt mean single words I meant you do ur quote then u go into word level wjich shows u are focusing on the effect of specific words but anyway thnks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skillzaismine)
    Question one:
    Possible writing styles:
    - report - talking about past events
    - journal - being reflective
    - speech - use rhetorical devices consistently
    - letter
    - newspaper report
    - magazine article - headline will be provided , use short quotations and over dramatise event (same applies for newspaper)
    - interviews - use the questions provided, DO NOT ADD YOUR OWN QUESTIONS AND DO NOT GIVE THE INTERVIEWER ANY PERSONALITY

It's important to develop the style of the individual you are writing in the context in and evenly address all three bullet points. For A3 (where you have to infer) use ideas from the passage to develop your answer but DO NOT make things up.

Question two:
    - write six words for each paragraph if you have enough time. You will not get penalised for this.
    - if you chose a safe word, most likely you won't get credited for it
    - always say the meaning of the word, if you write the effect only then you won't get higher marks (meaning makes up 6/10 of your marks along with the right words that you've picked)
    - always say the effect of the word NOT the effect of the reader (e.g. Don't say "this makes the reader feel....)
    - you can structure your answer like this: choice -> meaning -> effect

Question three:
    - you cannot write more than 15 points below the lines provided
    - if you have two points as a bullet point then you will only receive one mark
    - if you have more than three as one bullet point you will receive zero
    - make sure your points aren't too similar as this is where you could lose marks
    - write in plain English, you're not writing as anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This was helpful. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellamoon_22)
    I didnt mean single words I meant you do ur quote then u go into word level wjich shows u are focusing on the effect of specific words but anyway thnks.
    Ohhhh as in go in greater depth? And it's okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who's totally scared for this exam???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by char.george)
    Who's totally scared for this exam???
    Me! The rest of my exams are fine because at least I can prepare for them with decent revision. Even with the literature; a decent amount of revision results in a decent grade. I feel like this exam is very hard and I never seem to improve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HouseOfRichman)
    How do you need 39 marks? The grade boundary for an was 32 for an A in 2015 so it should only go up to roughly 35 for an A this year. Also, if I am incorrect about the 3As = A* system then you would only need around 19 marks in the exam in order to reach the 92 grade boundary for an A* they had last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dunno tbh, it's just what my teacher told me. What did you get in the coursework and s & l, and what do you need for an A*? I don't know much about the grade boundaries and it is the first year our school is doing cie, so they know nothing I'd be relieved if I only 35

ReputationRep:
    So in 2015 the grade boundaries were 106 for an A*. What are the odds that this goes up or down this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    So in 2015 the grade boundaries were 106 for an A*. What are the odds that this goes up or down this year?
    It depends on how easy the exam is.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno why but I'm excited for this exam.

ReputationRep:
    TIP FOR Q1
    PLAN BEFOREHAND AND SET OUT 3 BULLET POINTS AND ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THE MARK SCHEME
    WORKS FOR ME any advice on q2 as i tend to overwrite and q3 B as i dont know how to summarise and end up making it like a list!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me out? I have just done a past paper... and I cant find the mark scheme. I did the Oct/Nov 2014 paper 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSlayerr)
    I dunno why but I'm excited for this exam.
    I wish I could feel the same way as you!

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys find the guide useful?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
    A journal is the same as a diary right?😂I noticed there has been a lot of newspapers and speeches recently, but as you say they are unpredictable.Do you have any tips for a formal report? I haven't actually done a report yet and I'm not sure how to write it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Did you guys find the guide useful?
    I can't access it for some reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    If you notice from 2013 the grade boundary for an A* goes up by 1 every year. So maybe this year will be slightly easier than last year so it will go up by one (depending on how well people do as well), or I think since its the last year with this syllabus, I feel like they're going to give us a really hard paper just to end it hahaha so grade boundaries are likely to go down if that's the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On question 1, should you do an introduction? Conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byaakun)
    is question 1 on paper 2 classed as directed writing?
    because I'm doing extend - which is where you do paper 2 and 3 (as opposed to 1 and 2 - for core)
    anyways for paper 3, isn't there a directed writing question on that as well?

I'm confused..
    Yes, Question 3 contains 2 sections.
    SECTION A - directed writing (25 marks). However it differs from paper 2 because you need to be more evaluative and focus more on the way you write (the passage is always more subjective than that for paper 2)
    SECTION B - where you have to write a description or narrative based on a choice of 4 questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    If you notice from 2013 the grade boundary for an A* goes up by 1 every year. So maybe this year will be slightly easier than last year so it will go up by one (depending on how well people do as well), or I think since its the last year with this syllabus, I feel like they're going to give us a really hard paper just to end it hahaha so grade boundaries are likely to go down if that's the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In Nov 2015 A* was 104. So it really depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    In Nov 2015 A* was 104. So it really depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I am basing it off the June ones hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.