The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
I'm not going to fast simply because my Parents won't let me as I have Epilepsy and tend to have low energy
Reply 281
Yup! I will fast throughout the month inshAllah:biggrin:.Fasting is mandatory and can only result in good.Obey Gods command and things will work out for you.
In my opinion you should fast:smile: .Hydrate your self throughout the night and have a good sehri, youll be just fine!
If your carefull and take good precautionary measures, fasting will be as easy as...well...PIE!
PS:Good luck for your exams:smile:
I'm going to fast
Original post by PrincessZara
I'm going to fast

Are you a convert?
I'm fasting. I don't think it will hinder my grades, cause I don't usually eat as much during exams because I'm too anxious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Powerpuff Girls
I do believe in a god, I am just in limbo right now. I just dislike when being threatened and put under pressure with the prospect of the hell fire for committing a sin or making a mistake. It just makes me hate my life. :/

Deist. I guess you're describing?
Original post by Noara
I get where you're coming from honestly. Nothing should be forced or pressurized upon someone when it comes to religion. It is just one of those fragile things that people should be allowed to deal with at whatever pace seems optimum to them.

If religions would do away with the "spread the word" aspect of their beliefs, this might be a fairly benign change for them to do, and go a long way towards helping people be a bit easier with it.
I have seen many of you say that it is haraam to miss fasts for exams but then later go on to point out two major flaws in your logic towards that (I will get to them in a second).

What is more important than the letter of the law that Allah has sent us is the intent behind it which he wrote them. Admittedly if you follow it word for word you should do no harm to yourself, however you will miss the beauty of why it is given to us. Allah gives us wisdom that can be followed blindly but backs it up with significance again and again.

When Allah tells us not to drink do you link it to the fact that alcohol causes your self control to dissipate in the short-term - preventing you from having an eye out for danger or removing your inhibitions so that your judgement is flawed - or in the long run causing numerous proven diseases (cancer, failure of your liver, etc.)? When Allah tells us not to eat pork, or any non halal meat for that matter, why do you think that is? Is it just because he felt like it or the fact that if incorrectly prepared pork that has been infected by parasites will infect you with said parasites, or that if the animal's body is not fully drained from its blood and the blood is allowed to sit in the muscle (the meat) it will start to degrade the muscle, breaking it down and causing the release of toxins?

My point is that with Islam there are set rules which we should abide by, that I am not contesting. However, if you take the letter of the law and use it to make clauses which align with the intent of it haraam, you have misunderstood your faith and you have misunderstood Allah's reasoning for it in the first place. As other's have stated, Allah is the most gracious and makes it so we don't find this life difficult. You just have to look at the instance where Allah had considered making us pray 17 times a day, but reconsidered, reducing it to 5 to simplify and ease our method of worship. If Allah can show flexibility and understanding of human nature, may I ask who are you to be so inflexible?

So I did promise earlier on that I would point out your two flaws in your argument, and here I am coming through with said promise.

1) As you have stated yourself whether exams are a valid or not excuse to miss fasts is not stated anywhere in the Quran or hadiths. Hence, your ruling that it is haraam and 'pathetic' to do so is completely a human made interpretation of text - which is entirely subjective.

2) As you have stated yourself both travel and illness (of which I am going to discuss the menstrual cycle) negate you from fasting. They negate you from fasting (wait for it, I'm going to explain the very obvious intent behind why it is haraam to fast whilst in these circumstances) because they cause physical strain on your body by demanding more energy (your calorie intake) from you in a given time than what you would normally require.

Whilst menstruating females require more calorie intake than their normal level to compensate for the loss of blood - it is very well known that we get cravings during this time - and whilst there have been days during my period that I have felt perfectly fine and have felt frustration that I could not fast as a result, I understand that in the weeks spam my body is recovering and for someone who is already anaemic, to fast during this time would harm me (which in itself is haraam) and I understand the intent on which Allah has given me this break.

As for travelling, this is what clinches my view point imo. The Quran was sent down to us in a time where we had no cars, or trains or planes, where we had no air conditioning to keep us cool and our mode of transportation was not seated but on our two feet walking in the sun. If we were to travel then it would cause serious exhaustion and dehydration to not eat or drink during this time. Now in modern day, we do not have to travel in such circumstances, but yet it is still applicable to prevent us from fasting because travel causes a mental exhaustion - have you ever wondered why you feel tired after a long car journey even though all you did was sit? The only way I have found travel easy is to stay hydrated and well fed, because the mental exhaustion from having my surroundings changed has meant I need more food (I.e. Calories) to function.

This brings me on to my final point. To realise what the intent behind exemptions from fasting, you can most certainly see how not fasting during the exam period would apply. You are sat in an exam hall, stressed, focused, trying to recall all of the information you have learned from the past year in a 1.5-2 hour exam. This is incredibly mentally exhausting. I have left many exams so mentally drained that I can not remember 80% of the questions or my answers to them because I have regurgitated everything I had for them in that time and have nothing left in me. You hands ache, your head hurts, you're nervous and you realise that your future may very well depend on how you just performed. So you are telling me that being in that position is less mentally exhausting and less worth of breaking a fast than sitting in an air conditioned first class plane seat?

If you choose to fast during your exams you feel free to do so and good for you. But it is not your place to tell others how to show their faith especially when they are trying to follow its true meaning rather than just do it out of habit.

Your faith is between you and Allah. Mine is between me and Allah and I won't be fasting. What that means is that I am taking responsibility for my actions and if on judgement day I am told I was mistaken for not fasting this year I will repent to Allah wholeheartedly and not to you for one second.

May your Ramadan be enlightening, enriching and bring you closer to Allah.
Original post by safiyyah98
Theres many of us muslims who have exams (I have my A2 exams) during Ramadan. My question is will you fast?

I myself will miss out a fast on the day of an exam and I worked out I will only miss 5 which isn't too bad as I can make them up after. However I was considering fasting even on exam days because I feel as if Allah will give me the strength to pull through but then I thought Allah doesn't want to make things hard for us and obviously Ramadan is to strengthen your personal relationship with Allah so missing 5 fasts won't be too bad considering I have good intentions, and these exams are make or break so messing it up isn't an option as it will affect the rest of my life.

So will you or will you not fast, either on exam days or the entire exam period, I was just curious to see what others are doing.

When is Ramadan this year? in June?
I'm having my edexcel paper 4H math and arabic in ramadan isa...but i think it will be easy I'm already doing great at math and arabic is so easy. good luck for you.
At first I was having doubts if I should fast or not. Having 2 exams on the same day, as well as another clash of Eco and Sociology papers both two hours long, really made me think twice.

As the others said, the baraka in the month of Ramadan is real. And I would be a fool to miss out. Plus it's all about having faith in Allah.

So I shall be fasting in shaa Allah :smile:.
Original post by safiyyah98
This thread was specifically for muslims, your opinion is unwanted right now, maybe they'll be useful in another thread. If people want to fast then what has it got to do with you? Grades are not the be all or end all, I personally like to think of the bigger picture.

:five:
Original post by *Alisha*
When is Ramadan this year? in June?

June 6th In Shaa Allah :h:
Original post by أنيسة

Can't wait:h:
Good luck to everyone who's fasting whilst sitting their exams!
Original post by أنيسة

Is it? Im sure it was on June 7th, 1 day after my birthday? :rolleyes:
Like taraweeh starts on June 6th
Original post by Ayaz789

It could be either day i think, doesn't it depend on the sighting of the moon? :smile:
Hope you have a great Birthday! In Shaa Allah :smile:
Original post by أنيسة
It could be either day i think, doesn't it depend on the sighting of the moon? :smile:
Hope you have a great Birthday! In Shaa Allah :smile:

Hahaha yeahh having a taraweeh on your birthday shows its going to be great haha :P Inshaa'Allah
Original post by Ayaz789

Actually, i think your right :smile: - i was thinking of my exam date
Original post by أنيسة
Actually, i think your right :smile: - i was thinking of my exam date

Yepp :smile:
Original post by DaVinciGirl
I'm fasting. I don't think it will hinder my grades, cause I don't usually eat as much during exams because I'm too anxious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally the same :five:

Quick Reply

Latest