Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I really struggled this morning and early afternoon. For the first time, I challenged BDD instead of just blindy going with it and giving into it. I mostly failed and it caused nothing but distress, guilt, anger, shame and panic attacks but I tried. That's the first step done on a long road ahead.

Feeling a bit better now from it but not 100%. Just gonna take it easy for the rest of the night

ReputationRep:
    I miss hanging around here, but as I allways have things left on my table, when I quit the evening and we have a lot of practise and games currently, I have not much time left. (Time besides I need for myself. though I am pretty fine.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)

Feeling a bit better now from it but not 100%. Just gonna take it easy for the rest of the night
    It's good to hear you're feeling a bit better now you definitely deserve to take it easy :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    Feeling much better lately pushing my limits with studying actually seems to have quelled a lot of the anxiety, or at least I'm too tired to notice it much

can I please make a suggestion to some other things that need a trigger warning? I've not spotted any with it yet but I know there are so many people, including myself that find them triggering:
    - numbers in relation to weight, calories, eating, or 'Good Numbers' and 'Bad Numbers' in relation to OCD
    - disturbing intrusive thoughts (personally unacceptable or violent mainly)
    - extreme body image stuff can very often be triggering too

I do think this is an absolutely wonderful part of TSR as so many people our age suffer from mental health issues and it's so valuable to have support, as so many people feel unable to speak to anyone in real life. You are all wonderful and please know that there is /always/ someone who understands, and that means you're never alone. <3

ReputationRep:
    Have had to cancel my driving lesson because I'm in the middle of a downward spiral yet again. I just really don't want her to see me the way I am at the moment, it's been coming on for the past week and I know that she's probably noticed that something is probably up.

I'm just struggling to see how I'm going to cope with things when I can barely do anything right. I've moved my driving test as I'm too ****ed to cope. I've had exams where I just want to cry. I should probably admit that things are hard but I honestly struggle to see what they could do. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    can I please make a suggestion to some other things that need a trigger warning? I've not spotted any with it yet but I know there are so many people, including myself that find them triggering:
    - numbers in relation to weight, calories, eating, or 'Good Numbers' and 'Bad Numbers' in relation to OCD
    - disturbing intrusive thoughts (personally unacceptable or violent mainly)
    - extreme body image stuff can very often be triggering too

I do think this is an absolutely wonderful part of TSR as so many people our age suffer from mental health issues and it's so valuable to have support, as so many people feel unable to speak to anyone in real life. You are all wonderful and please know that there is /always/ someone who understands, and that means you're never alone. <3
    Hadn't thought of the OCD side but body image/weight/abuse stuff definitely needs to be spoilered where possible- it's in the OP but we try and keep an eye out anyway for where people forget or whatever so can edit. If you see anything let us know though or report it. But definitely agree with the second bit, I wouldn't be here without this thread and I'm not the only one- as Panda said the other day it's an award winning thread for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    So i set up delivery for my meds so i didnt run out of meds again.
    Ordered my meds monday as i knew id run out by sunday. And iv had none delivered... so im gonna run out :facepalm: cheers'en

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    Ordered my meds monday as i knew id run out by sunday. And iv had none delivered... so im gonna run out :facepalm: cheers'en

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's really not good enough. Are you going to give them hell for it? Some psychotropic meds in particular have horrible side effects from missing just one day so it's ridiculous that you didn't get them before you were due to run out.

ReputationRep:
    Gonna have to find time to go in on monday. Just one more bloody thing to deal with/do/think about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is what I'm worried about because I set up mine to be delivered to a pharmacy, with text notifications, and then they added on another medication the week after meaning I had to go down and request it to be added. Pretty sure I've done it wrong and if I end up without one of mine I pretty much won't be able to do much, hay fevers been bad this year even with my meds. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    It's my birthday tomorrow and I just can't handle seeing all of my family. The voices are deafening and I can't concentrate well enough to talk to people

ReputationRep:
    This morning I was triggered by something I read which doesn't usually happen to me. I'm more triggered by things in person or my own thoughts trigger me rather than what I read or see online, on TV etc but today made me realise just how careful you have to be when discussing things that could be triggering to others and also that things that couldn't be seen as a trigger for anyone, could be a trigger to someone.

It'll make me be more careful when I write posts of that kind of nature because I wouldn't want anyone to feel the way I did earlier. It was hellish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    That did occur to us but I think we were just worried at how frequently it was happening?
    Like MM, I would take rep as a sign of "I don't know what to say but I feel what you're going through and hope you get through it". I tend to err on the positive sign when interpreting this thread as most people are lovely .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    This morning I was triggered by something I read which doesn't usually happen to me. I'm more triggered by things in person or my own thoughts trigger me rather than what I read or see online, on TV etc but today made me realise just how careful you have to be when discussing things that could be triggering to others and also that things that couldn't be seen as a trigger for anyone, could be a trigger to someone.

It'll make me be more careful when I write posts of that kind of nature because I wouldn't want anyone to feel the way I did earlier. It was hellish.
    I'm sorry you had this experience.

Was it something you felt could be avoided? I would probably personally find the anxiety of trying to predict peoples' vulnerability a bit debilitating but I do generally try to be as nice as possible.

Life has made me resilient to most words but I have weak points here and there. I don't very much like to be compared to a robot (my AS music class laughed at me because I seemed robotic when I conducted them singing and it's still a sore point that I think about during spirals) and when someone lifts their hand in my vicinity, I can flinch due to experiences I've had. I would mention certain things to friend but in general, I try to focus on intent as I wouldn't want people to walk on egg shells around me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Like MM, I would take rep as a sign of "I don't know what to say but I feel what you're going through and hope you get through it". I tend to err on the positive sign when interpreting this thread as most people are lovely .
    As we said; we just weren't sure what the reasons for it were and so given the nature of this thread and the mental health forum in general just wanted to reassure people that it wasn't something negative? I always act on the whole 'better safe than sorry' mantra with anything like this

We're incredibly glad that there wasn't anything un-toward surrounding the whole repping thing and if it's literally just people repping posts because they can relate to what others are going through but aren't sure what to say to them, we're more than okay with it continuing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Saw the psychiatrist. He says I do have schizophrenia and it just looks different to those I work with who have it. Still not convinced though
    Are you going to try to get a second opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Saw the psychiatrist. He says I do have schizophrenia and it just looks different to those I work with who have it. Still not convinced though
    That sounds really rough. I know how difficult it can be to hear that, especially when it's a diagnosis with such a lot of stigma attached to it.

I think Kvothe the arcane's idea of seeking a second opinion might be helpful for you.

ReputationRep:
    So the laptop I was given from DSA has been faulty all along so it's away for repairs on Monday. Dell could have it for up to 2 weeks.

Sad and I don't know why. Maybe it's cause I realised today that on Wednesday week I'm due another useless meeting with the psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    One of the crisis team added me on facebook :lol:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.