Turn on thread page Beta

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    1. Teachers don't start on £30k
    2. If these 'routes' are backups, you'll have a tough time landing them. The competition for law/top grad jobs is intense, you need to be quite committed if you want to stand a chance in the recruitment processes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel like you are doing TSR a service with this thread. Too many ridiculous graduate salary expectations circulate on this site, that, and quite a few people just assuming they will walk into really competitive schemes without a problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Degree: Computer Forensics
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: Loads here, I haven't picked a specific path yet. Could be anything from generic police forensics, ethical hacking, counter terrorism/MI5 style intelligence and so on.
    Expected graduate salary: No idea since I don't have an entirely clear career goal. Probably in the region of 20-25K depending on what degree I actually come out with, how any placements stack up, etc. etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    I feel like you are doing TSR a service with this thread. Too many ridiculous graduate salary expectations circulate on this site, that, and quite a few people just assuming they will walk into really competitive schemes without a problem.
    Ahaha, that was my intention if I'm honest. I'm tired of seeing the same unsubstantiated BS numbers being thrown around. At least with this thread the tangential discussions add a bit more realism than the usual: 'kid gives ridiculous number (no mention of job), 'another user craps on them'. I'm trying to avoid the crapping bit aha.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Degree: Computer Forensics
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: Loads here, I haven't picked a specific path yet. Could be anything from generic police forensics, ethical hacking, counter terrorism/MI5 style intelligence and so on.
    Expected graduate salary: No idea since I don't have an entirely clear career goal. Probably in the region of 20-25K depending on what degree I actually come out with, how any placements stack up, etc. etc.
    Depends on the job and company more than anything...

ReputationRep:
    Ok bro, at least spell 'prime' minister properly PM is also not a grad job aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    when im primeminister of conservatives and I tax you low lives we will see who is laughing

Absolutely! Especially in a product manager role or like a data scientist role. I'm actually thinking about applying to Google's early internship (first year or 2nd year of a four year course) scheme or a startup to see what tech is all about in first year.
    Very Interesting, what uni will you/ are be attending? I'm going for Comp Sci + AI in September at Edinburgh.

Edit: Just saw that you are going for Comp Sci and Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JP298)
    Very Interesting, what uni will you/ are be attending? I'm going for Comp Sci + AI in September at Edinburgh.

Edit: Just saw that you are going for Comp Sci and Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Warwick or Bristol depending on how results go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Degree: German with Dutch
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: No idea. Possibly something related to European Politics... or teaching
    Graduate Salary Expected: ??? Probably like 18k if I'm lucky

ReputationRep:
    1. Teachers don't start on £30k
    2. If these 'routes' are backups, you'll have a tough time landing them. The competition for law/top grad jobs is intense, you need to be quite committed if you want to stand a chance in the recruitment processes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually the maximum starting salary for teachers in Inner London is £29970, which is pretty much £30k. It is possible at some schools, mainly for maths teachers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Actually the maximum starting salary for teachers in Inner London is £29970, which is pretty much £30k. It is possible at some schools, mainly for maths teachers.
    It's technically not £30k I'm p. sure OP isn't a Maths grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Warwick or Bristol depending on how results go

Posted from TSR Mobile
    waaat? what happened to notts?

ReputationRep:
    It's technically not £30k I'm p. sure OP isn't a Maths grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh yeah, I forgot about that lol

But tbh, if you were getting paid that close to £30000 you might as well say I earn £30000- just add the total value of birthday presents to your income or invest some of it and add the returns to your income to get that extra £30 you need.

£30000 seems really good though. Plus headteachers can earn £100000- my headteacher drives a brand new Jaguar lol

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, I forgot about that lol

But tbh, if you were getting paid that close to £30000 you might as well say I earn £30000- just add the total value of birthday presents to your income or invest some of it and add the returns to your income to get that extra £30 you need.

£30000 seems really good though. Plus headteachers can earn £100000- my headteacher drives a brand new Jaguar lol
    So did my former headteacher, maybe head teachers just love jags?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm great post

Either

Degree: Computer Science + PhD in Artificial Intelligence
    Jobs/Careers of interest: Research scientist
    Graduate salary expected: don't mind

Or

Degree: Computer Science
    Jobs/Careers of interest: Cryptography
    Graduate salary expected: dont mind

ReputationRep:
    I saw you mentioned PGCE. My partner is a teacher and she said a lot of schools only hire Teach First as they think the training is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega0448)
    I saw you mentioned PGCE. My partner is a teacher and she said a lot of schools only hire Teach First as they think the training is better.
    Really? My school has never hired a teach first graduate. Most teachers don't do teach first anyway - pgce is the most common option. But I think some of the more difficult, struggling schools would definitely prefer teach first since the teachers that do that training are more experienced with dealing with difficult students. Most schools don't really mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really interested in seeing whether TSR users are actually in touch with what opportunities there are career wise for their degrees and whether they have accurate expectations of entry level pay. My experience on here has been that people assume that say, any STEM degree will lead to 'high pay' but they never really qualify this statement nor do they express which jobs they are talking about.

So without further ado:

Degree:
    Jobs/Careers of Interest:
    Graduate Salary Expected:
    I feel like the sole purpose of this thread is so that you can argue with others and tell them why they're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Degree: Politics and Quantitative Methods
    Jobs/Careers of Interest: Civil Service/ Diplomatic Service/ Corporate Affairs/ Social Research
    Graduate Salary Expected: £20-25k

(Original post by Ras' Al Ghul)
    I feel like the sole purpose of this thread is so that you can argue with others and tell them why they're wrong.
    Nah mate you're totally wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BizzStrut)
    Nah mate you're totally wrong
    I think that was the intent but it's received such a wide net of jobs, it falls out of his scope of knowledge on salaries so he only argues with what he knows about.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.