Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovo_zverit)
    No copy exists from that time, because it wouldn't survive through the ages?
    we have written material that is much older than Islam so again you are mistaken

ReputationRep:
    I'll see that it's "never" favourable??? Is that what you gathered from your group of uncultured and unethical friends? Niceeee ;D

My hypocrisy has been exposed? Hahaha, your hypocrisy was exposed the day you came out the womb.
    Ah I see it didn't take you long to revert to form

all of about 8 posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Ah I see it didn't take you long to revert to form

all of about 8 posts
    And note how assiduously he avoids actually addressing the substance of the matter at hand; Mohammed's history as a bandit and pilferer, and his (consummated) marriage to the 9 year old Aisha.

These are indisputable facts, which is why he obfuscates and muddies the waters with ad hominems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    And note how assiduously he avoids actually addressing the substance of the matter at hand; Mohammed's history as a bandit and pilferer, and his (consummated) marriage to the 9 year old Aisha.

These are indisputable facts, which is why he obfuscates and muddies the waters with ad hominems.
    Of course they avoid the questions

it must be sad for them that people know more about their faith than they do (as it seems these claims come as somewhat of a shock to them)

But my favorite mistake so far is their claim that a book 1600 years old would not survive this long (which is of course untrue as we have older documents than this (one about twice as old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Smith_Papyrus) )

but they will ask for facts then dismiss them as untrue when they are inconvenient (such as the child molestation, banditry and murdering people all well recorded by previous Muslims)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    To your bolded point we are criticising Islam, not Muslims as a whole. For about the millionth time. :rolleyes:

What is it about that concept that you can't get? A serious question, not a rhetorical one. Why can't you grasp it?

To the italicised, Godwin's Law.
    Go back to the comment I was replying to. Actually read it. Does it say Islam anywhere?

Does it? (not rhetorical)

What you are suggesting only proves my point. You believed that the fact I was replying to that individual meant that I was replying to all of you who agree on hating Islam. You're making a mockery of yourself. You're literally doing the very thing that I accused you of, and most astoundingly, you're doing it to yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    The thing about Karma is that I view it not as some supernatural force but the ways that society governs itself and how people view each other and the constant bias that everyone has about everyone. and how your own actions even if no one knows about them you will always know and that will change you.
    Exactly! Doing bad deeds will cause you to experience guilt and stress as well as possibly having a negative impact on your relations with other people. Doing good deeds improves your relations with other people and also makes you happier in general as people are nicer towards you. That's all Kamma/Karma is.

(Original post by champ_mc99)
    Do you not believe in the spiritual side? Is it still possible to be a Buddhist?

I always thought most Buddhist converts reject God and totalitarianism but can't bear to believe in a wholly materialistic, naturalistic view of the cosmos, so choosing Buddhism is a leeway (almost as a form of desperation) between the two - not believing in God but wanting to believe there's more to the world than the laws of Physics (ie. spiritualism).
    To quote the Buddha:

"An experienced elephant hunter, searching for a big bull elephant, comes across a large elephant footprint in the forest. However, he doesn't jump to the conclusion that it's the footprint of a big bull elephant. Why? Because there are dwarf female elephants with big feet. It might be one of theirs. He follows along and sees some scratch marks and tusk marks high up on the trees, but still doesn't jump to the conclusion that he's on the trail of a big bull elephant. Why? Because there are tall female elephants with tusks. The marks might be theirs. He follows along and finally sees a big bull elephant under a tree or in a clearing. That's when he concludes that he's found his bull elephant."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....044.than.html

The Buddha encouraged people to test it out for themselves instead of following his teachings in blind faith. Since there's no way of testing whether reincarnation works or not, I won't put any faith in it. However, since his teachings on the different mental states and psychology have actually been proven (you can actually see the rewiring of the brain taking place in people "reaching higher mental states" in PET scans), I can believe that it happens.

Buddhism is like a pick n' mix religion, which is exactly how the Buddha encouraged his followers to think of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Exactly! Doing bad deeds will cause you to experience guilt and stress as well as possibly having a negative impact on your relations with other people. Doing good deeds improves your relations with other people and also makes you happier in general as people are nicer towards you. That's all Kamma/Karma is.

To quote the Buddha:

"An experienced elephant hunter, searching for a big bull elephant, comes across a large elephant footprint in the forest. However, he doesn't jump to the conclusion that it's the footprint of a big bull elephant. Why? Because there are dwarf female elephants with big feet. It might be one of theirs. He follows along and sees some scratch marks and tusk marks high up on the trees, but still doesn't jump to the conclusion that he's on the trail of a big bull elephant. Why? Because there are tall female elephants with tusks. The marks might be theirs. He follows along and finally sees a big bull elephant under a tree or in a clearing. That's when he concludes that he's found his bull elephant."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....044.than.html

The Buddha encouraged people to test it out for themselves instead of following his teachings in blind faith. Since there's no way of testing whether reincarnation works or not, I won't put any faith in it. However, since his teachings on the different mental states and psychology have actually been proven (you can actually see the rewiring of the brain taking place in people "reaching higher mental states" in PET scans), I can believe that it happens.

Buddhism is like a pick n' mix religion, which is exactly how the Buddha encouraged his followers to think of it.
    Oh cool. So does Buddhism give dictate any specific morals?

ReputationRep:
    But my favorite mistake so far is their claim that a book 1600 years old would not survive this long (which is of course untrue as we have older documents than this (one about twice as old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Smith_Papyrus) )
    Indeed, we have many ancient texts that predate the life of Mohammed.

And in fact, in questioning whether texts from that period can survive, he is implicitly questioning the fundamental basis of Islam; that it has been passed down uncorrupted and untainted by editing.

but they will ask for facts then dismiss them as untrue when they are inconvenient (such as the child molestation, banditry and murdering people all well recorded by previous Muslims)
    Unfortunately denial seems to be the standard modus operandi for the modern Muslim apologist. Denial mixed with an unhealthy dose of victimhood and conspiracism

ReputationRep:
    In Mohammad's defense, pedophilia was most likely socially acceptable in those days, especially, given the early average age of mortality. Besides, whether he engaged sexually with a 9 year old or not, doesn't subtract from the fact that millions of people follow the religion and will continue to do so.

It also doesn't subtract from the fact that all religions seek to control people and do not offer any real substance. They simply fill gaps, where science wasn't able to provide answers at the time e.g. how the universe came to existence. We still don't quite know the answer, which is why religion is still around...

ReputationRep:
    we have written material that is much older than Islam so again you are mistaken
    Yeah, and you're telling me that they are physically still present today, intact and legible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Do you agree that those like @BaconandSauce who spread mischief about Islam should be crucified or otherwise brutally murdered?
    No, wtf???
    They should be taught to understand the religion, if they're willing to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and you're telling me that they are physically still present today, intact and legible?
    Yes. (Jesus I even gave you a link)

Here's another one for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

If I were you I'd stop now as you are not coming over very well here on a student forum with educated posters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    If you can't conduct a conversation without becoming abusive, perhaps you should reconsider your participation.

Again with the abuse and the ad hominems. Try to direct yourself to the point he made.

The more I learn about Islam the more it confirms my worst fears. The characterisation of Mohammed as a camel pilferer with a taste for underage girls is an accurate one; do you deny it?
    lmfao, you have 0 evidence to state that it's "accurate". Opinions aren't facts, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. (Jesus I even gave you a link)

Here's another one for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

If I were you I'd stop now as you are not coming over very well here on a student forum with educated posters.
    Sorry, missed the link.
    Educated posters? Hmmm, you don't seem to be educated on Islam at all though. Just guess-work and disrespectful opinions. No education needed there.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, missed the link.
    Educated posters? Hmmm, you don't seem to be educated on Islam at all though. Just guess-work and disrespectful opinions. No education needed there.
    Ah so proven wrong you go for the personal attack.

I suspect you don't even know (or would refuse to accept) how the quran you have today was created and by whom when you make such stupid claims as you have on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    lmfao, you have 0 evidence to state that it's "accurate". Opinions aren't facts, sorry.
    as you have already been shown on this thread just because you are unaware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    so I can only assume what you're going to say is false.

Ah! The argument of the intellectual

but loved this oxymoron 'You wouldn't know the facts because you choose not to believe'

and with that I'll go back to working on my thesis.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! The argument of the intellectual

and with that I'll go back to working on my thesis.
    Good luck on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Go back to the comment I was replying to. Actually read it. Does it say Islam anywhere?

Does it? (not rhetorical)

What you are suggesting only proves my point. You believed that the fact I was replying to that individual meant that I was replying to all of you who agree on hating Islam. You're making a mockery of yourself. You're literally doing the very thing that I accused you of, and most astoundingly, you're doing it to yourself!
    This thread is about Islam.

The title is "Why do leftists love Islam?"

I was doing you the courtesy of assuming you were staying on topic and attempting to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion. My mistake, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thequickspark)
    Islam is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

Christianity is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

Judaism is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

etc.
    How you define "religion of peace"?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.