ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    hopefully once a week...might be less during the summer time
    rightt, ok icic
    plsss remember to tag me in doe

(Original post by mariam687)
    rightt, ok icic
    plsss remember to tag me in doe
    i will, did I tag you in the post last night?

ReputationRep:
    i will, did I tag you in the post last night?
    Yes you did

So...hehe, this is here I see.
    I wanted to write about a lot of stuff the last few months but if I'm honest I was just too lazy. But I'm not right now so you're welcome.

Anyway, recently I've been away on holiday to Australia and HK and I thought that might be something interesting to write about since the last really long haul place I went to was Thailand a few years ago. This will most likely be a really long post and I will probably go off on multiple tangents but I'll put those tangents in spoilers to make it a little easier to read

So, where to begin? Well I flew out of Heathrow
    Spoiler:
    Show
    can I just say I know nothing about the politics and stuff behind the third runway thing, but I think there should be a new runway. I fly out of Heathrow maybe 3 times a year, my dad much more when he goes on business and there is always a lot of congestion and delay. Heathrow is put under a lot of pressure and it seems logical that a new runway should be built. waiting 45 minutes on the tarmac to take off is not ok.
    on Cathay Pacific. It was a nice enough flight (A lot of first world problems if I'm honest, but I won't talk about that because I don't really want to be seen as spoilt or whatever so yeah ) and landed in Hong Kong 12 hours later.

We had around 12 hours layover in Hong Kong before catching the onward flight to Sydney, so we decided to have a little explore of the city. We took the metro to Hong Kong central station, saw the big skyscrapers, Victoria Harbour, IFC Mall, then took the metro to Tung Chung. Here you can find the Ngong Ping cable car which takes you to Ngong Ping Village, Po Lin and the Tian Tan Buddha one of the largest freestanding bronze Buddhas in Asia.

The cable car was great, we bought the crystal package which meant our cable car had a glass bottom so you could see the forest and the Tung Chung bay. It was hot and humid in the city centre but up in the mountains it was much cooler and pleasant. Ngong Ping village is marketed to be very traditional, but in my opinion it was on the verge of being cheesy :/

We walked around the village and took a couple of pictures
    Spoiler:
    Show
    before i forget, none of these pictures are actually mine, i simply took them off google to give you guys an idea of what it was like. all the pictures i took are saved on my snapchat and i cant really be bothered to screenshot them then upload them to my computer and put them on here soooooo..i'm sorry
    and then took the cable car back down to the base and took the bus to the airport which was about 10 minutes away.

We got back into HKG passed through immi and had about four hours before our onward flight to Sydney, by this time i was knackered so we checked into the The Bridge Lounge and I had a shower and dozed off for a bit. We didn't have any lunch in Hong Kong and I had about 100HK$ left so decided to be adventurous and have something traditional. That was a mistake, even know I don't know what I had to eat. It was an incredibly bony piece of meat with some sticky rice and bland sauce. In the least offensive way possible it smelt of cat piss. (I'm really sorry if I offended anyone, but it did.) The dim sum was alright though

Eventually we got onto our 10 hour flight to Sydney, in fact we were incredibly lucky, there was a typhoon apporaching Hong Kong and if we travelled one day later, we could have been stranded there :eek:. Anyway, we landed in Sydney the following day made our way to the hotel.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the border people in sydney stopped us, because my mother and i are dual bulgarian uk citizens and they had to do background checks on us and stuff, to make sure we weren't travelling on stolen passports :sigh: that was pretty annoying ngl
    Yeah so by this time, I was more or less dead, i didn't know what day it was, so when we got to the hotel (nice place in Darlinghurst) I basically had a shower and crashed on the bed until the next morning. I didn't even have dinner lmao.

Our first day was nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    why is hotel breakfast so much nicer than regular breakfast? and why do we always have such a bigger appetite whilst on holiday? like in sydney i would have bacon and hash browns and sausage and eggs and toast and danish and fruit but at home, i can barely stomach a slice of toast lmao it's weird
    . It was fairly cool, not cool but not boiling hot either. I needed a thicker jacket than the one i bought unfortunately. we walked downtown past St Mary's Cathedral and Hyde Park to Pitts Street and saw the major skyscrapers of sydney (sydney tower eye, David Jones and Stockland)

Those of us who live in london, know of the two Westfields (one in Sheperd's Bush and the other in Stratford.) Westfield is actually an australian brand with far superior brands and branches in sydney

We basically just walked around on the first days so that's really all we did. I would say downtown sydney reminded me of america, bu tplaces like Potts Point and Darlinghurst definitely reminded me of Pretoria or Cape Town with it's kind of tropical vibe. They also say Sydney is very expensive and it is-kinda- but at the same time, not really. for example, a litre bottle of Fiji water cost $2 (£1.25) but a jumper in H&M cost $30 (£18.70) Idrk i guess it depends, but for us as tourists sydney wasn't that expensive as say Geneva or Moscow.

We decided to eat in a korean place which was absolutely amazing. I had the waygu beef hot pot and I have to say, that was some of the most melt in the mouth meat I'd ever had. I was like wooooooooowowoowowowow.

The next day we took the hop on hop off bus and say two of the most famous structures in all of Australia and possibly the world, Sydney Opera house and Sydney Harbour bridge. They were alright, but I'll be honest here, once you see it you see it. It kinda lost the charm if I'm honest. Like yep that's the Opera house that I've seen numerous times in photos and videos and articles and whatnot here it is in real life. So the opera house is three separate buildings, one restaurant and two main buildings. the tiles to make it were imported from Sweden and designed in such a way that when it rains, dirt can easily slide off with the rain. Of course it was designed to look like waves on the sea- personally i don't see it. and they were currently showing the production of My Fair Lady directed by julie andrews. to the left of the opera house is the Harbour bridge and circular quay and to the right is Woolloomooloo Bay (iirc) I must say thought it was very nice to see in person. Afterwards we saw the rest of sydney on the bus like Central Station, the skyscrapers I had seen the day before, darling harbour etc.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry if i seem vague. i'm wracking my brains to try and remember exactly what happened but I just can't loool
    funny story actually, i had a jumper which i took off, but before we left i was trying to put on, just as i was putting it on the wind blew it out of my hand and into the bay oh well

That night we ate at a thai place that had some of the freshest thai food i'd ever had, as in the vegetables were so crunchy and good and :drool:

I believe the next day we decided to go to Taronga Zoo. It's located in Mossman (or was it Mosman) on the other side of sydney, we took the ferry from Circular quay and past by the opera house and sydney botanical gardens, fort denison and arrived at Taronga zoo.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    so we stayed in the city centre on the north side of the bridge (harbour bridge) the more residential areas of sydney were on the south side where taronga zoo is
    it was a hot and bright day, so it definitely had a nice atmosphere. But if I'm honest the actual zoo was not different to say Colchester zoo or even ZSL. We opted for the Sky Safari package which meant we entered the zoo by cable car. It was more of a gimmick really, nothing like the cable car in Hong Kong, but it did offer some fantastic views of sydney

I don't know how i feel about zoos if I'm honest. i know they're not great cos of the whole animal in captivity stuff but the animals didn't look depressed or anything idk. it's a touchy subject which i don't really want to get into. .

I think I'll leave this post for now as I am super tired. I'll probably finish it off another day.

thanks and goodnight

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to write about a lot of stuff the last few months but if I'm honest I was just too lazy. But I'm not right now so you're welcome.

Anyway, recently I've been away on holiday to Australia and HK and I thought that might be something interesting to write about since the last really long haul place I went to was Thailand a few years ago. This will most likely be a really long post and I will probably go off on multiple tangents but I'll put those tangents in spoilers to make it a little easier to read

Spoiler:
    Show
    can I just say I know nothing about the politics and stuff behind the third runway thing, but I think there should be a new runway. I fly out of Heathrow maybe 3 times a year, my dad much more when he goes on business and there is always a lot of congestion and delay. Heathrow is put under a lot of pressure and it seems logical that a new runway should be built. waiting 45 minutes on the tarmac to take off is not ok.
    on Cathay Pacific. It was a nice enough flight (A lot of first world problems if I'm honest, but I won't talk about that because I don't really want to be seen as spoilt or whatever so yeah ) and landed in Hong Kong 12 hours later.

We had around 12 hours layover in Hong Kong before catching the onward flight to Sydney, so we decided to have a little explore of the city. We took the metro to Hong Kong central station, saw the big skyscrapers, Victoria Harbour, IFC Mall, then took the metro to Tung Chung. Here you can find the Ngong Ping cable car which takes you to Ngong Ping Village, Po Lin and the Tian Tan Buddha one of the largest freestanding bronze Buddhas in Asia.

The cable car was great, we bought the crystal package which meant our cable car had a glass bottom so you could see the forest and the Tung Chung bay. It was hot and humid in the city centre but up in the mountains it was much cooler and pleasant. Ngong Ping village is marketed to be very traditional, but in my opinion it was on the verge of being cheesy :/

Spoiler:
    Show
    before i forget, none of these pictures are actually mine, i simply took them off google to give you guys an idea of what it was like. all the pictures i took are saved on my snapchat and i cant really be bothered to screenshot them then upload them to my computer and put them on here soooooo..i'm sorry
    and then took the cable car back down to the base and took the bus to the airport which was about 10 minutes away.

We got back into HKG passed through immi and had about four hours before our onward flight to Sydney, by this time i was knackered so we checked into the The Bridge Lounge and I had a shower and dozed off for a bit. We didn't have any lunch in Hong Kong and I had about 100HK$ left so decided to be adventurous and have something traditional. That was a mistake, even know I don't know what I had to eat. It was an incredibly bony piece of meat with some sticky rice and bland sauce. In the least offensive way possible it smelt of cat piss. (I'm really sorry if I offended anyone, but it did.) The dim sum was alright though

Eventually we got onto our 10 hour flight to Sydney, in fact we were incredibly lucky, there was a typhoon apporaching Hong Kong and if we travelled one day later, we could have been stranded there :eek:. Anyway, we landed in Sydney the following day made our way to the hotel.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the border people in sydney stopped us, because my mother and i are dual bulgarian uk citizens and they had to do background checks on us and stuff, to make sure we weren't travelling on stolen passports :sigh: that was pretty annoying ngl
    Yeah so by this time, I was more or less dead, i didn't know what day it was, so when we got to the hotel (nice place in Darlinghurst) I basically had a shower and crashed on the bed until the next morning. I didn't even have dinner lmao.

Our first day was nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    why is hotel breakfast so much nicer than regular breakfast? and why do we always have such a bigger appetite whilst on holiday? like in sydney i would have bacon and hash browns and sausage and eggs and toast and danish and fruit but at home, i can barely stomach a slice of toast lmao it's weird
    . It was fairly cool, not cool but not boiling hot either. I needed a thicker jacket than the one i bought unfortunately. we walked downtown past St Mary's Cathedral and Hyde Park to Pitts Street and saw the major skyscrapers of sydney (sydney tower eye, David Jones and Stockland)

Those of us who live in london, know of the two Westfields (one in Sheperd's Bush and the other in Stratford.) Westfield is actually an australian brand with far superior brands and branches in sydney

We basically just walked around on the first days so that's really all we did. I would say downtown sydney reminded me of america, bu tplaces like Potts Point and Darlinghurst definitely reminded me of Pretoria or Cape Town with it's kind of tropical vibe. They also say Sydney is very expensive and it is-kinda- but at the same time, not really. for example, a litre bottle of Fiji water cost $2 (£1.25) but a jumper in H&M cost $30 (£18.70) Idrk i guess it depends, but for us as tourists sydney wasn't that expensive as say Geneva or Moscow.

We decided to eat in a korean place which was absolutely amazing. I had the waygu beef hot pot and I have to say, that was some of the most melt in the mouth meat I'd ever had. I was like wooooooooowowoowowowow.

The next day we took the hop on hop off bus and say two of the most famous structures in all of Australia and possibly the world, Sydney Opera house and Sydney Harbour bridge. They were alright, but I'll be honest here, once you see it you see it. It kinda lost the charm if I'm honest. Like yep that's the Opera house that I've seen numerous times in photos and videos and articles and whatnot here it is in real life. So the opera house is three separate buildings, one restaurant and two main buildings. the tiles to make it were imported from Sweden and designed in such a way that when it rains, dirt can easily slide off with the rain. Of course it was designed to look like waves on the sea- personally i don't see it. and they were currently showing the production of My Fair Lady directed by julie andrews. to the left of the opera house is the Harbour bridge and circular quay and to the right is Woolloomooloo Bay (iirc) I must say thought it was very nice to see in person. Afterwards we saw the rest of sydney on the bus like Central Station, the skyscrapers I had seen the day before, darling harbour etc.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry if i seem vague. i'm wracking my brains to try and remember exactly what happened but I just can't loool
    funny story actually, i had a jumper which i took off, but before we left i was trying to put on, just as i was putting it on the wind blew it out of my hand and into the bay oh well

That night we ate at a thai place that had some of the freshest thai food i'd ever had, as in the vegetables were so crunchy and good and :drool:

I believe the next day we decided to go to Taronga Zoo. It's located in Mossman (or was it Mosman) on the other side of sydney, we took the ferry from Circular quay and past by the opera house and sydney botanical gardens, fort denison and arrived at Taronga zoo.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    so we stayed in the city centre on the north side of the bridge (harbour bridge) the more residential areas of sydney were on the south side where taronga zoo is
    it was a hot and bright day, so it definitely had a nice atmosphere. But if I'm honest the actual zoo was not different to say Colchester zoo or even ZSL. We opted for the Sky Safari package which meant we entered the zoo by cable car. It was more of a gimmick really, nothing like the cable car in Hong Kong, but it did offer some fantastic views of sydney

I don't know how i feel about zoos if I'm honest. i know they're not great cos of the whole animal in captivity stuff but the animals didn't look depressed or anything idk. it's a touchy subject which i don't really want to get into. .

I think I'll leave this post for now as I am super tired. I'll probably finish it off another day.

thanks and goodnight
    OH MY GOD! That first picture scene thing looks so beautiful! Where is that? I need to go omll! It's so beautifulll! You're so lucky You're taking me on holiday with you next time you pick some lovely destinations x
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Looks like you had a really nice time and offered a sacrifice to the gods of the bay.

ReputationRep:
    Keep snapchatting me babe :kiss:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This was really weird to say lol
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Love your photography :love:

(Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    OH MY GOD! That first picture scene thing looks so beautiful! Where is that? I need to go omll! It's so beautifulll! You're so lucky You're taking me on holiday with you next time you pick some lovely destinations x
    thanks it's on Lantau island in Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    thanks it's on Lantau island in Hong Kong
    ooohhh cool thanksss! Im defo gonaa go there! hope you enjoyed your holiday and your really good at taking photos

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Looks like you had a really nice time and offered a sacrifice to the gods of the bay.
    Thanks...and they gave me pot noodle on the flight :ahee:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nope it wasn't a godo sacrifice, i was very cold afterwards

(Original post by Imperion)
    Keep snapchatting me babe :kiss:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This was really weird to say lol
    you got it hun
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just go with it :ninja:

(Original post by serah.exe)
    Love your photography :love:
    wot? really? thanks u always know how to make a man feel good
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Our first day was nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

thanks and goodnight
    Sounds like you had an awesome time.

Hong Kong sounds so cool. :excited:

Some of my own pics from HK

http://imgur.com/a/ipVkY
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    x
    It looks and sounds like you had an amazing time over there! How much did it cost all in?

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Our first day was nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

thanks and goodnight

FINALLY!

i loved this one,the pics thooo, sounds amazing, glad u had a good time, u deserved it man

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    It looks and sounds like you had an amazing time over there! How much did it cost all in?
    roughly just under £6k

(Original post by mariam687)
    FINALLY!

i loved this one,the pics thooo, sounds amazing, glad u had a good time, u deserved it man
    haha thanks!

Ok so a continuation of the previous post...the zoo

We saw giraffes and kangaroos and animals in general...what one would expect from a zoo
    Spoiler:
    Show

there were these weird birds idk what they're called but they look like smallish vulture (i say small, they're about three times as big as a seagull) who grabbed our food that we bought in the restaurant at the zoo. Terrible birds if I'm honest. Another lady had a pint knocked over her, as a bird swooped in to steal her chips :lol:

The next day we booked a little lunch cruise which went around Sydney harbour. Sydney harbour is actually quite large. we left from Circular Quay which is next to Harbour Bridge and went all the way past double bay (Tom Cruise has a house there, it's known for being the most expensive part of sydney.), Rose Bay, all the way to where the harbour opens up into the pacific ocean, then back round to Manly Beach, then into Port Jackson (I think that's where the British spent their first night when they discovered Sydney?), back under the bridge to where the harbour goes into the Parramatta River. That was a lovely 2 hour cruise, beautiful weather, sunshine not too cold. Awww I think it was my favourite part of the whole holiday if I'm honest. I actually really love sailing, or just the general feeling of being on a boat
    Spoiler:
    Show

not to mention fresh seafood and fish and loads of Anzac biscuits, which I have developed quite the taste for

The same day we went into chinatown, which was great. Loads of restaurants and chinese stores and pawn shops (don't know why i talk about the pawn shops :/) I think we bought some chinese juju stuff from there, like keepsakes and charms and incense. Really we had the same stuff from when we lived in Beijing but we thought, why not?

We used the Australian subway a lot too. Those of us who live in London know how the tube can be a bit inefficient and filthy and smelly. The australian one is AMAZING. really clean and nice PLUS the trains have two decks (like in germany and on the RER in paris) which meant less congestion within the carriage it was great. Also air conditioned which was a plus!

Another day we decided to visit the aquarium in Darling Harbour. If i'm honest, it was underwhelming, but relatively empty, which was nice. We saw fish (as one would) and sharks and sea turtles and sea cows? I'm not gonna go into too much detail, it was just an aquarium...

the rest of the time, we just walked around, shopped and went to other places. One of them being sydney tower eye. Sydney Tower is Sydney's tallest structure and the second tallest observation tower in the Southern Hemisphere. Auckland's Sky Tower is taller but Sydney Tower's main observation deck is almost 50 m higher than the observation deck on Auckland's Sky Tower.
    SO we saw some pretty wonderful views of sydney from the observation deck, but we took it one step further. We went outside to the top of tower. The way it works is, you and a group of 10 other people are chained to the railings of the outside of the structure and basically get a guided tour of sydney. for that one hour i was the highest human in sydney :smug:

The rest of the holiday is basically a blur, with us travelling home and spending a night in Hong Kong

um, I want to post my own photos but I don't know how, so if anyone can give me some advice? they're all on my snapchat's memories thingy...

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok so a continuation of the previous post...the zoo

We saw giraffes and kangaroos and animals in general...what one would expect from a zoo
    Spoiler:
    Show

there were these weird birds idk what they're called but they look like smallish vulture (i say small, they're about three times as big as a seagull) who grabbed our food that we bought in the restaurant at the zoo. Terrible birds if I'm honest. Another lady had a pint knocked over her, as a bird swooped in to steal her chips :lol:

The next day we booked a little lunch cruise which went around Sydney harbour. Sydney harbour is actually quite large. we left from Circular Quay which is next to Harbour Bridge and went all the way past double bay (Tom Cruise has a house there, it's known for being the most expensive part of sydney.), Rose Bay, all the way to where the harbour opens up into the pacific ocean, then back round to Manly Beach, then into Port Jackson (I think that's where the British spent their first night when they discovered Sydney?), back under the bridge to where the harbour goes into the Parramatta River. That was a lovely 2 hour cruise, beautiful weather, sunshine not too cold. Awww I think it was my favourite part of the whole holiday if I'm honest. I actually really love sailing, or just the general feeling of being on a boat
    Spoiler:
    Show

not to mention fresh seafood and fish and loads of Anzac biscuits, which I have developed quite the taste for

The same day we went into chinatown, which was great. Loads of restaurants and chinese stores and pawn shops (don't know why i talk about the pawn shops :/) I think we bought some chinese juju stuff from there, like keepsakes and charms and incense. Really we had the same stuff from when we lived in Beijing but we thought, why not?

We used the Australian subway a lot too. Those of us who live in London know how the tube can be a bit inefficient and filthy and smelly. The australian one is AMAZING. really clean and nice PLUS the trains have two decks (like in germany and on the RER in paris) which meant less congestion within the carriage it was great. Also air conditioned which was a plus!

Another day we decided to visit the aquarium in Darling Harbour. If i'm honest, it was underwhelming, but relatively empty, which was nice. We saw fish (as one would) and sharks and sea turtles and sea cows? I'm not gonna go into too much detail, it was just an aquarium...

the rest of the time, we just walked around, shopped and went to other places. One of them being sydney tower eye. Sydney Tower is Sydney's tallest structure and the second tallest observation tower in the Southern Hemisphere. Auckland's Sky Tower is taller but Sydney Tower's main observation deck is almost 50 m higher than the observation deck on Auckland's Sky Tower.
    SO we saw some pretty wonderful views of sydney from the observation deck, but we took it one step further. We went outside to the top of tower. The way it works is, you and a group of 10 other people are chained to the railings of the outside of the structure and basically get a guided tour of sydney. for that one hour i was the highest human in sydney :smug:

The rest of the holiday is basically a blur, with us travelling home and spending a night in Hong Kong

um, I want to post my own photos but I don't know how, so if anyone can give me some advice? they're all on my snapchat's memories thingy...

OMG subbeeddd
    never seen this before :woo: What a wonderful thread! A zoo! In Hong Kong!
    Animallllllllllllz
    Boating is awesome :yep: Well jel bruh :cool:
    urm is it possible to screenshot them and then email them to yourself and then attach them here on your PC?

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    OMG subbeeddd
    never seen this before :woo: What a wonderful thread! A zoo! In Hong Kong!
    Animallllllllllllz
    Boating is awesome :yep: Well jel bruh :cool:
    urm is it possible to screenshot them and then email them to yourself and then attach them here on your PC?
    that'll take ages :cry:
    I uploaded some to imager though http://imgur.com/a/ipVkY

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.