Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Any particular reason why you think this?
    Because the Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with it personally due to reasons of faith but as long as religious institutions aren't forced to perform them against their will there isn't a lot I can complain about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeTravel_0)
    I am not religious at all but can't believe Jesus would agree with you. After all he disregarded much of the Old Testament.

ReputationRep:
    No i dont

ReputationRep:
    I have an interesting discussion point relating to the Bible that I have noticed. I am a Christian and respect all the goodness the Bible has to offer me, but sometimes it can be quite harsh.

The Bible says some weird and cruel stuff such as "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel."in 1 Peter 2:18 which sounds like it would support the slavery of black people.
    But of course, all good Christians understand that this is outdated and not relevant anymore as times have changed and we know racism is wrong.
    The same applies to marriage being between a man and a woman, especially in Leviticus 20:13 when it says "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death;their blood will be on their heads." Surely, a Christian who follows the Ten Commandments including "Thou shalt not kill" would not follow what the Bible says in this passage and understand that it is outdated and does not apply.

TL;DR: The Bible can be outdated and some scriptures don't apply to these times. ^Proof above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooliomed)
    I am not religious at all but can't believe Jesus would agree with you. After all he disregarded much of the Old Testament.
    Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible has nothing to do with secular marriage.

It doesn't get to come along later and demand everyone changes to it even if they don't believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    I never said if it was a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that it can occur and that gay marriage will be repealed in the future.
    The majority of people support gay marriage.

You suggested that the majority of Muslims, who are rising in number, are against gay marriage. Let's say 80% are against it (unless you can find me a real statistic).

Less than 5% of England's population is Muslim. Let's say 2,700,000. 80% of that is 2,160,000.

Over half the population is atheist, and rising, and mostly support gay marriage. There are over 60 million people in the country, so let's just say 30,000,000.

Unless something really drastic happens, gay marriage isn't getting repealed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    No it Haraam. Astagfurallah how can you be for it astagfurallah. They do dirty things with each other Haraam. And they go to Hell to burn
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.
    The Bible doesn't agree with anything; don't pick and choose according to what suits you, pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    I never said if it was a good or a bad thing, I'm just saying that it can occur and that gay marriage will be repealed in the future.
    How did you work that one out? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    How did you work that one out? :lol:
    Their idea was this:

Most Muslims are against gay marriage.
    More Muslims are coming into England.
    Therefore, in the future, more people will be against gay marriage and gay marriage will be repealed.

It doesn't take into account that Muslims still make up less than 5% of England's population, and atheists who tend to be more progressive make up slightly over 50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Their idea was this:

Most Muslims are against gay marriage.
    More Muslims are coming into England.
    Therefore, in the future, more people will be against gay marriage and gay marriage will be repealed.

It doesn't take into account that Muslims still make up less than 5% of England's population, and atheists who tend to be more progressive make up slightly over 50%.
    It's just complete drivel really. A lot of Muslims I know also don't care, lololol. People are getting a bit over the top with all of this Islam rubbish now - the government isn't going to become Islamic, calm yourselves. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's just complete drivel really. A lot of Muslims I know also don't care, lololol. People are getting a bit over the top with all of this Islam rubbish now - the government isn't going to become Islamic, calm yourselves. :lol:
    It's true that a majority of Muslims oppose gay marriage, though I feel it's the older generations more. The younger Muslims I know don't really care that much about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that a majority of Muslims oppose gay marriage, though I feel it's the older generations more. The younger Muslims I know don't really care that much about it.
    A lot of people oppose gay marriage... a lot of people also don't care enough about it to vote on it or even bother voicing the opinion, when it matters.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people oppose gay marriage... a lot of people also don't care enough about it to vote on it or even bother voicing the opinion, when it matters.
    The problem with that is that if someone were to try and push the vote through in that scenario, they wouldn't have that much opposition.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with that is that if someone were to try and push the vote through in that scenario, they wouldn't have that much opposition.
    I think people would oppose it very strongly - marriage goes beyond religion and we're in a time where people are seeing the absolute and undenied importance of rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness.

ReputationRep:
    I think people would oppose it very strongly - marriage goes beyond religion and we're in a time where people are seeing the absolute and undenied importance of rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness.
    As I said, I don't think gay marriage will ever be repealed in England.

Speaking of-
    rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness
    -are you doing anything for Pride this year?

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I don't think gay marriage will ever be repealed in England.

Speaking of-
    -are you doing anything for Pride this year?
    I'm in the London Pride Parade this year

ReputationRep:
    I was for gay rights before everyone was shoving it down my throat. My logic is, if it don't affect my life, i dont care about it. someone being gay, doesnt affect my life, so i could care less what they do.But on the other hand marriage is another name for civil partnership, marriage hold connotations of some religions for me though.Its not like were hunting gays and lynching then, I dont think the fact they couldnt call their love a marriage was a massive issue , wrong but not a real hardship. Overall I'm good with them having gay marriages, All kinds of people/races/religions and cultures get married, being gay doesn't make anything new to the list.

I'm must say as an avid supporter of gay rights, I feel likegay rights and their lives are shoved down my throat nowadays. Which I’ve cometo dislike, an example would be the amount of homosexual relations on TV. I haveno problems with it, i do have a problem when a period/ era TV shows haveit seem like everyone loved and supported gays, when they didn't. They make itseem like being gay was cool and safe all the time, when in the 60's even inthe UK, you could get you head bashed in by the police for being gay. I was thetruth about how gays were treated, not the candy fake ********. I think its aninsult to older gays, who formed the foundations of their rights. Lastly I thinktoo many people, young people especially, who have no idea what love or emotionsthey feel, claim they’re gay when they’re not to get some attention or sympathyfor the injustice of the older gay generation. All that being said, I willalways support gay rights, I have no idea why I would fighter against peopleenjoying love, It’s hard enough to come by, no need to make it harder but addingother people worthless thoughts and views.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.