Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    Hi

Wasn't that good of a paper but not that bad imo. There was nothing there which was unexpected. I personally found the way they tried making the questions hard to interpret pretty annoying like test our knowledge not reading skills under time pressure... I really don't understand timed exams with maths and science either you know your stuff or you don't. As for the paper I made some silly mistakes and is very to do so on unit 2. I am worried about about how I said tertiary carbocation when it was secondary... How many marks will I lose because after that I talked about stability with secondary when it should be secondary with primary... The question about reactivity of Mg and Sr or something like that why is something higher... I talked about the other one and why it was lower lol would I get still get the marks? Because if the other is smaller in ionisation energy the other must be higher lol?

Also the question about fermentation and the use of ethene it asked for advantages and disadvantages of fermentation however again it was badly worded IDK why they do that they also did it with the table one and how we had to name the alcohols not just say primary or secondary... Anyways my next point is if you did advantages and disadvantages of ethene would you get 0 marks I didnt do this however some did and they are kinda opposites in the sense one is renewable one isn't, one is a batch process isn't etc... With conditions for the question I wrote high temp 300 degrees which is right him pressure which is right but I wrote 7 atm instead of 70 ... and got the right catalyst but don't remember if I wrote hydration or not... How would I have done?

There was also a question on isomers drawing pen-1-ene and 2 other isomers what did you guys write for that?

I think the metal extraction questions were quite nice but I made some silly mistakes....

The calculation were ok and again made some silly mistakes will get 2/3 for shwoing forumla and working outs?

I got elimination and electrophilic addition with the right mechanisms and i cant remember the last question but it was really nice can someone remember it?

After writing this I think I have done quite badly

EDIT: It was aldehyde and carobxylic acid for some question was about to write ketone for carboxylic acid luckily I didn't and I then talked about hydrogen bonding I also messed question 3 up ffs on the free radical subsitution I didnt got one wrong propagation step when that was so easy... ticking boxes what did u tick?

Nothing unexpected ...

Really? You expected an empa style question on how to make it a fair test?

ReputationRep:
    hello guys
    i did my unit 2 paper today, personally i thought it was okay but the only thing i am scared of is how specific the answers will be for example you must include a specific word or sentence or else you wont get mark for it. Also me making very silly mistakes such as i wrote down CCl3F when it was something like CClF3 so good thing that i went back over it.

My best advice to everyone is to literally focus on past exam paper and look at the answers and don't memorise because you will forget ( unless you have a photographic memory) so try to understand how you get the answers. Also during exam make sure you give yourself 30 mins on section b and rest for A and if possible 15 min to check over to make sure no silly mistakes

Theres definitely a patterns in the section b so maybe a day before exam go through the section b from past paper so at least you solid on some knowledge

Don't worry anymore you can't change what you did so theres no point worrying about something you have no control over - learn from your mistakes and prevent yourself from repeating them in the future.( Also its okay to repeat mistakes thats what makes us humans - we aren't robots)

for people who are worrying about uni- don't worry honestly it will work out theres always another path to reach that one destination- it might require a bit more hard work and time but if you are passionate of what you want to achieve you will enjoy that journey

so guys chin up and get revising for unit 4 and 5

and remember in order to feel success you will fail many times in life- so embrace it because this is part of life.
    ( i know sometimes its easily said than done but don't worry you are not alone)

best of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    Nothing unexpected ...

Really? You expected an empa style question on how to make it a fair test?
    It was just talking about adding silver nitrate and drop-wise nitric acid to both solutions and how quickly a white precipitate is formed. To make it a fair test you use the same amount and the one which reacts fastest with hydrolysis forms precipitate first. You use the amount of silver nitrate and nitric acid (at the same temperature didn't write same temperature damn it). Made so many school boy errors even in standard enthalpy of combustion I wrote The enthalpy change when one mole of a compund completly combustes in oxygen to form carbon dioxide water it must take place in standard condtions (298K, 100KPA) but I didn't write standard state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mafzal10)
    hello guys
    i did my unit 2 paper today, personally i thought it was okay but the only thing i am scared of is how specific the answers will be for example you must include a specific word or sentence or else you wont get mark for it. Also me making very silly mistakes such as i wrote down CCl3F when it was something like CClF3 so good thing that i went back over it.

My best advice to everyone is to literally focus on past exam paper and look at the answers and don't memorise because you will forget ( unless you have a photographic memory) so try to understand how you get the answers. Also during exam make sure you give yourself 30 mins on section b and rest for A and if possible 15 min to check over to make sure no silly mistakes

Theres definitely a patterns in the section b so maybe a day before exam go through the section b from past paper so at least you solid on some knowledge

Don't worry anymore you can't change what you did so theres no point worrying about something you have no control over - learn from your mistakes and prevent yourself from repeating them in the future.( Also its okay to repeat mistakes thats what makes us humans - we aren't robots)

for people who are worrying about uni- don't worry honestly it will work out theres always another path to reach that one destination- it might require a bit more hard work and time but if you are passionate of what you want to achieve you will enjoy that journey

so guys chin up and get revising for unit 4 and 5

and remember in order to feel success you will fail many times in life- so embrace it because this is part of life.
    ( i know sometimes its easily said than done but don't worry you are not alone)

best of luck xx
    great advise and yes another thing to add to the list of making it hard to read it is formed from this had to make sure I had reactants and products the right way around messed up the maths calculations omfg....

ReputationRep:
    great advise and yes another thing to add to the list of making it hard to read it is formed from this had to make sure I had reactants and products the right way around messed up the maths calculations omfg....
    hey look its human nature to remember the questions we get wrong or found really hard because we spend so much time thinking about it so focus on what you did well and you never know you might be surprised on the result day so put your worry in a box and put it under the bed or something and you can open it near the result day focus on your next exam and i am sure you haven't done as bad as you think

ReputationRep:
    i didn't put partial charges on the compounds in any of the mechanisms how many marks do u guys think i'll lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl :D)
    i didn't put partial charges on the compounds in any of the mechanisms how many marks do u guys think i'll lose
    1 mark per mechanism which requires it can you answer some of my questions from above please?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they ignore partial charges on mechanisms.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Wasn't that good of a paper but not that bad imo. There was nothing there which was unexpected. I personally found the way they tried making the questions hard to interpret pretty annoying like test our knowledge not reading skills under time pressure... I really don't understand timed exams with maths and science either you know your stuff or you don't. As for the paper I made some silly mistakes and is very to do so on unit 2. I am worried about about how I said tertiary carbocation when it was secondary... How many marks will I lose because after that I talked about stability with secondary when it should be secondary with primary... The question about reactivity of Mg and Sr or something like that why is something higher... I talked about the other one and why it was lower lol would I get still get the marks? Because if the other is smaller in ionisation energy the other must be higher lol?

Also the question about fermentation and the use of ethene it asked for advantages and disadvantages of fermentation however again it was badly worded IDK why they do that they also did it with the table one and how we had to name the alcohols not just say primary or secondary... Anyways my next point is if you did advantages and disadvantages of ethene would you get 0 marks I didnt do this however some did and they are kinda opposites in the sense one is renewable one isn't, one is a batch process isn't etc... With conditions for the question I wrote high temp 300 degrees which is right him pressure which is right but I wrote 7 atm instead of 70 ... and got the right catalyst but don't remember if I wrote hydration or not... How would I have done?

There was also a question on isomers drawing pen-1-ene and 2 other isomers what did you guys write for that?

I think the metal extraction questions were quite nice but I made some silly mistakes....

The calculation were ok and again made some silly mistakes will get 2/3 for shwoing forumla and working outs?

I got elimination and electrophilic addition with the right mechanisms and i cant remember the last question but it was really nice can someone remember it?

EDIT: It was aldehyde and carobxylic acid for some question was about to write ketone for carboxylic acid luckily I didn't and I then talked about hydrogen bonding I also messed question 3 up ffs on the free radical subsitution I didnt got one wrong propagation step when that was so easy... ticking boxes what did u tick?

hey so thanks for answering my question... umm i just looked though a couple of urs and well i kinda made allot of silly mistakes aswell so ur not alone and lol her i was thinking that im going crazy with stress think that i was the only one but dude ur more freaked out than me
    anyways i will try and answer urs as best as i can.
    in regards to the tertiary carbocation confusion i think that the section was only one or 2 marks so they will mostly likely just deduct one mark as long as u wrote something along the lines of- 'reaction proceeds with carbocations'. i think that i saw this in one of the previous papers. with the next question lol i can't remember reading Sr any where i remember something about Ca. ok so with the next question i f***** up on the first part lol i didn't even read the full question, all i saw was the work fermentation and conditions and was like yh ***** and then i just wrote the conditions for fermentation only to later realise that it said hydration. anyways the disadv and adv part of the question was 4 marks. with the isomers question i think that they wanted you to have the letters E and Z. however, if u drew the right structures i.e 2 heavy compounds on the same side for Z and the opposite for E u might get a couple of marks. sorry if this is no help i think my brain need some rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studious_Student)
    I'm pretty sure they ignore partial charges on mechanisms.
    omd yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    omd yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry I gave wrong info http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN13.PDF q5 doesn't show partial charges but I swear ive seen it on other papers I will check tommorow for you goodnight guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi

The ionisation energy question asked for why Strontium has a lower ionisation energy than Magnesium, you should get the marks.

For the conditions questions I just said high temp, high pressures and H3PO4 catalyst, I'm sure they won't penalise if you mess up the specifics on the conditions.

The pent-1-ene question really messed me up, I just drew the C3H7 group above and below for E and Z isomerism, I definitely got it wrong I think.

ReputationRep:
    Would C3H7 be accepted when putting the group on the stereoisomers?

ReputationRep:
    What will happen if we want to retake after this year? Can we resit these again or would you have to do all of the new spec a-level exams from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What will happen if we want to retake after this year? Can we resit these again or would you have to do all of the new spec a-level exams from scratch?
    You can't resit this spec again, you would have to do all of the new spec from scratch. :'(

ReputationRep:
    For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asyes)
    For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.
    You cannot resit this exam again as the spec has finished and they won't be making any more papers for it. However, you can resit CHEM4/CHEM5 once more next year.

ReputationRep:
    For the hydrolysis question I wrote some information that wasn't correct but then I also wrote about timing the formation of precipitates and using same conditions eg temp- will I still get marks?

ReputationRep:
    For the hydrolysis question I wrote that fixed amounts of silver nitrate could be added every30 mins then ppt could be filtered dried and weighed. Then that could plot mass of ppt over time and compare gradients. I know thus is wrong, how many marks do you think I could get?

ReputationRep:
    Why on Aqas 2017 timetable do they have chem1/2 resits on it? If we cant resit them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.