Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For question 4, for the graph I did everything, except the two lines I drew did not intersect, only met at 40 seconds, how many marks would I expect to get?

ReputationRep:
    For question 4, you didn't need to put t=40 right because you wouldn't know that from the first part of the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiusMartius)
    For question 4, you didn't need to put t=40 right because you wouldn't know that from the first part of the question?
    That's right, it won't be on the sketch as we get the distance XY in the next part of the question. But we would need to get it for the second part.

(Original post by HoldtheDoor)
    For question 4, for the graph I did everything, except the two lines I drew did not intersect, only met at 40 seconds, how many marks would I expect to get?
    1 mark, a maximum of 2 marks I would say. The fact that they don't intersect would contradict the fact that they would have travelled the same distance from XY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMarques)
    Attached are my solutions to the paper in pdf format. If there any mistakes please do tell me!
    thanks, ive tried to attach it to the original post but it wont upload atm for some reason, ill try again in a few minutes!

ReputationRep:
    If you got d=1.6m and m=66 because you used the wrong distance initiall but did then working correctly, how many marsk would you grt?

ReputationRep:
    Attached are my solutions to the paper in pdf format. If there any mistakes please do tell me!
    For Question 7(a) I managed to work out the magnitude of F2 using sin and cos angles and it turns out the magnitude is right. Would i lose all 7 marks?

Also for Question 2(b) I used R - 0.5g = 0.5a instead

How many marks do you think i'd lose in total? these are the only mistakes i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    thanks, ive tried to attach it to the original post but it wont upload atm for some reason, ill try again in a few minutes!
    Just noticed a few typos.

Here is a more updated version
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf M1 JUNE 2016.pdf (124.2 KB, 178 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patel123)
    If you got d=1.6m and m=66 because you used the wrong distance initiall but did then working correctly, how many marsk would you grt?
    I would hazard a guess of you losing a maximum of 4 marks. If your method was right then you would get follow through throughout. Again, I'm not too sure.

(Original post by Kay Fearn)
    For Question 7(a) I managed to work out the magnitude of F2 using sin and cos angles and it turns out the magnitude is right. Would i lose all 7 marks?

Also for Question 2(b) I used R - 0.5g = 0.5a instead

How many marks do you think i'd lose in total? these are the only mistakes i did
    If for F_2 you got the same coefficients for i and j then you would get the answer, they never specified a specific method, so that method could be also correct.

You could potentially have lost 3/2 marks on that since you didn't consider the brick.

ReputationRep:
    For Question 7a, if I used a diagram and the sine rule in order to work out the magnitude of F2, but then did not work it out in vector form, how many marks would I pick up there?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Let's hope I fall the right side of the boundary 😊

ReputationRep:
    ALL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED - CLICK ON THE MODEL ANSWERS TAB!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

How many marks should I give myself?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When using an approximation such as 'g', your answers should be to three or two significant figures or you lose one 'A1' mark.
    Generally, every equation you form is worth a mark (that doesn't mean you can write random equations and get marks, they have to be part of the steps to get the answer)
    If you got your final answer wrong, either post in the comments how many marks you think you should get, or look up previous questions that are similar by googling 'edexecel m1 questions by topic', choosing your topic and then press CTRL + F to find a question with similar marks. Look at how the marks have been distributed and compare it to the question.
    Finally, mark it twice first harshly and secondly generously so you give yourself a range of possible marks, for example 59-63 marks earned.
    Question 1: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1(a) 104, (3 marks)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j (3 marks)
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) Q = 640i + 640j (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 2: (6 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2(a) T = 20.6N or 21N (3 marks)
    2(b) 15N or 15.5N (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 3: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 Ns (7 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 4: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4(a) (4 marks)

4(b) T = 8.75 s (8 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 5: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    μ=0.73 or μ=0.727 (10 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 6: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    d = 1.2m (4 marks)
    m = 42kg (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 7: (11 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (7 marks)
    (b) 13 ms-1 (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 8: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8(a) T = 11.8 N or 12 N(8 marks)

8(b) = 16.6 N or 17 N
    It has a bearing of 225
    or
    45 degree angle between horizontal plane and vertical rope
    or
    draw a diagram and annotate angles (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images).

Question Bank: (simplified)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question One:
    Q has velocity (20i-5j) and starting position (800j). P has velocity (15i+20j) and starting location (400i).

a) Find the bearing of Q.
    b) i) Find the location of P and Q at time = t.
    c) Find the location of Q when it is west of P.

Question Two:
    A scale pan of 0.5kg carries a brick of 1.5kg and is attached to a vertical rope. The body is accelerating upwards at 0.5m/s/s.
    a) Find the tension in the rope.
    b) Calculate the force exerted by the scale pan onto the brick.

Question Three:
    A particle of mass 0.4kg collides with a wall at a speed of 4m/s and rebound back 5m before stopping. The coefficient of friction on the ground is 1/8. Calculate the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the wall onto the particle.

Question Four:
    A car M overtakes car N at 40m/s at point A and travels for T seconds before uniformly decelerating to 0m/s at point X. Car N travels at 30m/s for 25 seconds before decelerating uniformly at the same point. AX = 975m.
    a) Draw a speed-time graph of both cars on the same graph.
    b) Find the value of T.

Question Five:
    Particle of mass 2kg on slope inclined to ground at 20 degrees. Being pushed up a rush surface by force of 4 N at angle of 30 degrees to slope. Calculate mew.

Question Six:
    Non-uniform rod of length AB has length 6m and mass 30kg. It has two supports S and T, where AS = 0.5m and TB=2m. When a particle of mass M is placed at A, the rod is at the point of tipping around S. When a particle of mass M is placed at B, the rod is at the point of tipping around T. The distance between A and the center of mass is D.
    a) Find D
    b) Find M

Question Seven:
    F1 = (-i + 2j) F2 same direction as (i+j). Resultant of F1 and F2 has same direction as (i+3j). The resultant of F1 and F2 has acceleration (3i+9j) and initial velocity (3i-22j).
    a) Calculate F2
    b) Find the velocity of the resultant of F1 and F2 and t=3.

Question Eight:
    Mew = 1/5. Particle A is on a horizontal plane and has mass 1.5kg. Particle B is on a verticle rope and hangs with mass 3kg. Both are connected to a pulley so that the angle between them is 90 degrees. A is to the left of B.
    a) Find Tension
    b)Find magnitude of tension on pulley
    If you want to try and calculate your UMS score, try this:I hope you all did well!

you are amazing! hope you have done as well in all your other exams

ReputationRep:
    I have gotten everything else correct but there is one thing bugging me, in question 1 I wanted to get it over and done with fast so I did what I never did before and I left p and q in the r1 = r0 +vt form, would I lose marks for not simplifying that or does it still count? After all it is the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie S)
    I have gotten everything else correct but there is one thing bugging me, in question 1 I wanted to get it over and done with fast so I did what I never did before and I left p and q in the r1 = r0 +vt form, would I lose marks for not simplifying that or does it still count? After all it is the same thing...
    you can answer it like that

ReputationRep:
    I would hazard a guess of you losing a maximum of 4 marks. If your method was right then you would get follow through throughout. Again, I'm not too sure.

If for F_2 you got the same coefficients for i and j then you would get the answer, they never specified a specific method, so that method could be also correct.

You could potentially have lost 3/2 marks on that since you didn't consider the brick.
    Ahh that's so annoying! At first I said R - 1.5g = 1.5a but after reading the question carefully it said 'force exerted on the scale pan by the brick' so i changed it because in other questions where the mass of the object is used it's always 'force exerted on the brick by the scale pan'

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the moments question I did everything right except for right at the end instead of doing (3/2) / (5/4) to get D as 1.2 I did it the opposite way round and got 0.83333 because I was really pressed for time and I lost focus

Im so mad because this means it screwed up my next question as well !!
    Will I get ECF maybe? How many marks do you think I will l lose for that simple mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifailedmygcse)
    Guys for the moments question I did everything right except for right at the end instead of doing (3/2) / (5/4) to get D as 1.2 I did it the opposite way round and got 0.83333 because I was really pressed for time and I lost focus

Im so mad because this means it screwed up my next question as well !!
    Will I get ECF maybe? How many marks do you think I will l lose for that simple mistake?
    youd lose at least 2 marks from not getting the right m and d. if you subbed your d into an equation to find m you would get a mark and im not sure what the other mark is for, so maybe 2-3 marks lost

ReputationRep:
    For question 2b, didn't it say the force exerted by the brick on the pan not the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    I drew the graph in Q4a as if the assumption was t was bigger than 25 and the car travelling at 40m s-1 started deceleration later than the other car? I then got the correct answer for the second bit at 8.75s. Then, I drew a modified graph and stated it with the correct lines and correct deceleration times later on. Would I get the marks for question 4a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordrohan731)
    I drew the graph in Q4a as if the assumption was t was bigger than 25 and the car travelling at 40m s-1 started deceleration later than the other car? I then got the correct answer for the second bit at 8.75s. Then, I drew a modified graph and stated it with the correct lines and correct deceleration times later on. Would I get the marks for question 4a?
    yes, marks are generally for the correct shape of each line and the correct values

ReputationRep:
    yes, marks are generally for the correct shape of each line and the correct values
    Ok so the length of each line doesn't matter in proportion to each other? Thanks anyway for answering my questions and the unofficial mark scheme. Think I dropped 5-6 marks in total so fingers crossed, 90 ums.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.