Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Even if you're pro-guns, why on earth are automatic rifles available in America? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by folieadeux)
    I can just about understand wanting a handgun for self-defense if you live in a rough area, but I believe that you should only be able to purchase one after extensive background checks and training. Trying to justify owning an assault rifle, or any other weapon with a rapid fire rate, is a load of sh*t. Nobody needs such a gun to defend themselves - they're intended to cause as much damage in as little time as possible. Unless you are in active military service, you do not and should not need access to that type of weapon.

Let's be real here, the conversation about gun control - at least in the USA - ended after Sandy Hook. If 2 dozen young children can be massacred in their classrooms, and the government rejects proposals for control, then there really is no hope.
    I somewhat agree with you, but you don't understand what an assault rifle is, nor do you understand that automatic rifles are not on sale legally in America...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    I somewhat agree with you, but you don't understand what an assault rifle is, nor do you understand that automatic rifles are not on sale legally in America...
    Got my words mixed up, sorry. Pretty sure that AR-15s are pretty easy to come by though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    Yes, I call them clips just as every shooter I know calls them clips. Thats because the term "magazine," actually refers to the area in the frame of the weapon where loaded rounds are stored.
    Uh no

No serious shooter calls them clips.

They are called magazines

You don't know any shooters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got my words mixed up, sorry. Pretty sure that AR-15s are pretty easy to come by though...
    Yes, but they're semi-automatic and are not assault rifles. I feel people in support of tighter gun control should just do a little more research is all.
    An Assault Rifle eg. M16, is a select fire weapon capable of shooting in at least 2 different firing modes. In the M16's case, it fires semi-automatically and in 3 round bursts. An AR-15 cannot do that. I also agree that AR-15's shouldn't be on sale to pretty much anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    The "joke" was your casual use of the word " legal".

In so many words you said that because BAE could produce these weapons legally than they were legal for citizens to own. It's a safe bet that BAE doesn't sell to walk-ins off the street. Your comment was an attempt to suggest that artillery is as easy to own as a shotgun. It's not.

Be honest now. Your really not the least bit put off by the number of guns in the U.S. are you?

I mean, I read about the number one cause of death for adult males in Britain is suicide and your youth drinking themselves into oblivion and I may think that life must be pretty bleak over there but it ends there. I certainly don't torture myself over it as you folks do over our guns. I bet alcohol use in Britain kills far, far more people than guns do over here.
    Citizens can own section 5. I never implied that it was easy to own one, that's why I said it is 'technically' legal. So it is your failure of comprehension. Any reason can be given to apply for section 5. It is up to the Home Office to decide on a case-by-case basis.

ReputationRep:
    The AR-15s made after 1986 are semi-automatics. However, under the Antiques and Relics provision of the Ca. firearms code you CAN own an authentic Vietnam era fully auto AR-15. All you need do is find one through someone with a class 3 license, pay the fees ,fill out the forms, then find someone with a class one licence who is licensed to sell to the public, fill out a mountain of forms, pay the fees, wait 2 or 3 months, wait 2 or 3 months then you can take possession of the weapon take home and enjoy. edit) Current price for an authentic legal to own AR-15 is 50-70 thousand dollars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    If those children being hit were allowed to carry their own sticks I don't see the perpetrator standing much of a chance.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.