Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: How many marks do you think you got out of 60?
    0 - 10 marks
    1.86%
    11 - 20 marks
    2.26%
    21 - 30 marks
    10.23%
    31 - 40 marks
    19.52%
    41 - 50 marks
    36.25%
    51 - 60 marks
    29.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anygy)
    the answer is no ions. Completely purifying water means the ions are removed so it can't conduct electricity.

<<< says the internet. I wrote no delocalised electrons.
    So would no overall charge to carry the current be right?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think this was the easiest paper AQA has given us, propably got around 56-60 marks. Im *****ing myself for p2 on Friday

ReputationRep:
    For the half equation I didn't put a minus after the 'e'. Will I still get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueribbons99)
    So would no overall charge to carry the current be right?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From previous posts in the thread, I'd say yes

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that didnt find it that easy? Im a triple student and I found C3 easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    Notice: I would like to apologise on my own behalf about getting a question on PH wrong. I put 0 instead of 7. I typed this on my phone so there was bound to be a mistake however I have now checked everything else and it all seems right.
    Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
    This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
    It does not contain all answers.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete
    1. Question on Temperature Change
    a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
    b)
    c)
    d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
    2. Question on Fertilisers
    What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
    Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
    6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
    3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
    Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
    Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
    Attachment 550689
    4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
    Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur was produced (see equation) which dissolved in the water.
    What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
    How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
    5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
    Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
    The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
    Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
    It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
    In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
    The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
    6. Question on materials
    How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
    Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
    Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.
    Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
    Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.
    This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
    easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme. Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
    Oh god the puns... I'm starting to sound like a CGP textbook...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
    I swear cool the liquid is wrong, i swear use a different concentration of acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moustafa123r)
    I think the answer is no free ions not electrons
    water is bonded covalently so no ions involved.

ReputationRep:
    210kg as 10kg is washed away like it showed on graph C

ReputationRep:
    For the improved accuracy you could put a lid on the beaker or insulate the beaker to prevent heat escaping.

ReputationRep:
    I put place a lid on beaker to reduce heat loss for the apparatus/more accurate question... Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    I swear cool the liquid is wrong, i swear use a different concentration of acid
    I wrote that

ReputationRep:
    They could do the experiment at 5 degrees Celsius by putting the conical flask in a water bath heated at 5 degrees Celsius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.m)
    I wrote that
    assuiming they kept temp the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livileesmith)
    I put place a lid on beaker to reduce heat loss for the apparatus/more accurate question... Opinions?
    Nah, the experiment was measuring energy loss. Why would you want to put a lid on to improve the apparatus. Suitable answer would be digital thermometer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    Notice: I would like to apologise on my own behalf about getting a question on PH wrong. I put 0 instead of 7. I typed this on my phone so there was bound to be a mistake however I have now checked everything else and it all seems right.
    Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
    This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
    It does not contain all answers.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete
    1. Question on Temperature Change
    a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
    b)
    c)
    d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
    2. Question on Fertilisers
    What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
    Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
    6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
    3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
    Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
    Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
    Attachment 550689
    4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
    Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur was produced (see equation) which dissolved in the water.
    What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
    How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
    5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
    Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
    The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
    Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
    It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
    In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
    The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
    6. Question on materials
    How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
    Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
    Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.
    Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
    Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.
    This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
    easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme. Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
    Oh god the puns... I'm starting to sound like a CGP textbook...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
    A* obviously will higher than 49 I think at least 52 for A* or maybe higher because this paper is the easiest paper in whole C2 past papers

ReputationRep:
    2. Ammonia reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce which salt?
    The salt created was ammonium chloride

ReputationRep:
    5. Describe the bonding process of Mg2+ and Cl-
    Ionic bonding. Mg2+ gives one electron each to two chlorine atoms so that they have full outer shells and are ions. Their opposite polarity causes electrostatic forces of attraction to pull them together in all directions to form a lattice.

ReputationRep:
    3. What type of bonding is in the diagram above?
    Covalent bonding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?
    I wrote the same hopefully its right!

ReputationRep:
    i put use a digital thermometer for the accuracy question, who else did this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.