Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Accessing a Google doc can also reveal your RL identity.
    If an individual is willing to send a Google Doc they must be aware of this fact and not mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    If an individual is willing to send a Google Doc they must be aware of this fact and not mind.
    I'm talking about people who receive it. For example if, as Aph suggests, the Speaker just puts up a link to the doc all of us MPs have to open it in order to read it - not to mention the Speaker themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker ... Since when was it part of your job to ignore PMs and to reject legislations ? Don't want to do your job properly ? Then stand down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Mr Speaker ... Since when was it part of your job to ignore PMs and to reject legislations ? Don't want to do your job properly ? Then stand down
    I expect people to learn how to use the TSR text editor (which I feel the problems with are completely overblown) and to not go off-site to submit items.

I'm not sure what you mean by ignoring PMs?

ReputationRep:
    I am fairly sure that Fez has said previously that he wouldn't accept items via google docs. No problems were raised then, so I don't see the problem now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I am fairly sure that Fez has said previously that he wouldn't accept items via google docs. No problems were raised then, so I don't see the problem now.

To be fair, I can't remember when he previously said this...

ReputationRep:
    The speaker can decide not to allow legislation to be debated because it is boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be fair, I can't remember when he previously said this...
    I will withdraw my previous statement - having checked in the Speaker's chamber, Fez has asked for items to be sent to him via PM rather than tagging him in threads, but there's no mention of google docs as far as I can see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Fez, it appears you forgot to remove Lime-man (who has now returned from a long period of inactivity) from the MP user group so watch out for potential double votes.Our current MP list is as follows: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=916608
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I've decided to not remove proxied MPs from the usergroup on the grounds that if they are away they won't be voting, and if they are able to vote they don't need proxying.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to move our conversation here since I believe it requires input from others as well, especially in the light of multiple recent occasions when more than one vote has been cast from a single seat.

How can you tell if they're here or not? Are you keeping constant track of 50+ people? MPs who are being proxied can log in without being ready to make a full return and it's ultimately their prerogative to appoint their proxies even if they are technically able to vote.

It is difficult to figure our whether a poll contains ineligible votes before the results are announced, which is why I think there should always be at most 50 persons able to cast votes.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind, I'd like to move our conversation here since I believe it requires input from others as well, especially in the light of multiple recent occasions when more than one vote has been cast from a single seat.

How can you tell if they're here or not? Are you keeping constant track of 50+ people? MPs who are being proxied can log in without being ready to make a full return and it's ultimately their prerogative to appoint their proxies even if they are technically able to vote.

It is difficult to figure our whether a poll contains ineligible votes before the results are announced, which is why I think there should always be at most 50 persons able to cast votes.
    This is my point – if an MP has cast a vote then they clearly don't need to appoint a proxy and so that proxy's vote can be removed. However if an MP does not need a proxy it is also courteous for them to let me, their party leader and their proxy know so the proxy can be removed from the UG.

I always check for ineligible votes before declaring a result, the only exception is for amendments but even then I can request a list of voters if there are problems or suspected irregularities.

ReputationRep:

I think that last bit shoudl be reworded, the speaker, deputy, mod for this section and SL's (has anybody actually seen them??) still have to stay in the group for MP's at all times. However I agree with the sentiment that proxied seats should be removed from the group in favour of their proxy.

ReputationRep:
    I expect people to learn how to use the TSR text editor (which I feel the problems with are completely overblown) and to not go off-site to submit items.

I'm not sure what you mean by ignoring PMs?
    Copying a few paragraphs is'nt hard it is ? If you can't do that then why are you still in the speaker chair ?

ReputationRep:
    Copying a few paragraphs is'nt hard it is ? If you can't do that then why are you still in the speaker chair ?
    In which case, and I regret that it has to be taken to this level, there is no reason why you couldn't copy a few paragraphs and submit it properly?

ReputationRep:
    If it's so easy - you do it. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    In which case, and I regret that it has to be taken to this level, there is no reason why you couldn't copy a few paragraphs and submit it properly?
    1) I'm not speaker , YOU are speaker , YOU are responsible for legislation. MPs do not post their own legislation directly to the main forum
    2) You did not mention that google doc would not be accepted

ReputationRep:
    1) I'm not speaker , YOU are speaker , YOU are responsible for legislation. MPs do not post their own legislation directly to the main forum
    2) You did not mention that google doc would not be accepted
    I mentioned it as soon as I read the PM and asked you to re-submit it. That simple.

As Speaker I am not responsible for writing or submitting legislation. Given this is a TSR Model House of Commons you have to use TSR to do this.

ReputationRep:
    I think my opinion on the piece hazzer is referring to is predictable, but nevertheless I think on the meta-issue, Fez is right. It's always been standard to submit legislation in the TSR text editor; the speaker should absolutely reject submissions in other formats.

Regarding proxied MPs, personally I believe they should be removed from the UG, for posterity's sake if nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    If it's so easy - you do it. :laugh:
    No-one wants him.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Will this be updated at some point: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Privy_Council) ?

ReputationRep:
    MR speaker, when will the constitution and GD be updated?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.