x Turn on thread page Beta

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    We need a referendum based on:

- votes for 16 year olds and up
    - all four countries of the UK have to confirm the decision
    - lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
    - British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

The referendum we just had was manipulated to generate the result.
    Or, in other words, you want to run the referendum until you get the result you want, and are willing to manipulate the system from a simple one man, one vote, all counting equally, to include as many barriers to getting the result you don't want as possible.

You forgot to exclude all people older then 50, by the way.

The very definition of cynical gerrymandering.

Just get on with life and do your best to make it work for yourself and everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 900,000 signatures. So nearly a million...

This is now the most signed UK petition ever.
    It wont happen

ReputationRep:
    lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
    why so one sided?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    heavy rain reduce the expected turnout in london where voters overwhemingly voted for remain
    This is specious nonsense. There are virtually no polling stations in city areas that are further away from anyone's home than a reasonable walk, so disrupted tube services are irrelevant. If you aren't willing to undertake a short walk in the rain then your commitment to your vote is worthless.

At my polling station I saw an woman on crutches, who arrived at the same time as me, take an eternity to get out of her car and move fifty yards in the rain into the school to vote, helped throughout by her husband.

By the time I had returned to my car after voting she was only about a quarter of the distance to the entrance. It probably took her half an hour to vote, exclusive of the drive to the polling station, and she was in obvious pain throughout. That is a desire to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    But I think the question needs to be asked how many people voted to leave based on the 'assumption' that the £350m pledge given for the NHS was a fact and not an error in the Brexit campaign?
    You can apply that to both sides e.g. leaving the EU will not cost each household £38 a week, because GDP has never been, and never will be, a contributor towards household income.

ReputationRep:
    We need a referendum based on:

- votes for 16 year olds and up
    - all four countries of the UK have to confirm the decision
    - lies and anti-EU propaganda in most of the media be brought under control via an independent commission
    - British abroad and EU citizens living in the UK be allowed to vote, as is only right and proper

The referendum we just had was manipulated to generate the result.
    If you don't like a fair democratic vote, move to somewhere like North Korea, China, or Somalia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is specious nonsense. There are virtually no polling stations in city areas that are further away from anyone's home than a reasonable walk, so disrupted tube services are irrelevant. If you aren't willing to undertake a short walk in the rain then your commitment to your vote is worthless.

At my polling station I saw an woman on crutches, who arrived at the same time as me, take an eternity to get out of her car and move fifty yards in the rain into the school to vote, helped throughout by her husband.

By the time I had returned to my car after voting she was only about a quarter of the distance to the entrance. It probably took her half an hour to vote, exclusive of the drive to the polling station, and she was in obvious pain throughout. That is a desire to vote.
    the reasoning was from the fact that london turnout was lower than the average - which coincided with one months rains storms inside a few hours. various parts were water logged - im saying it would have had an effect on numbers.

ReputationRep:
    reached 1.2m signitures for 2nd EU referendum!

ReputationRep:
    the reasoning was from the fact that london turnout was lower than the average - which coincided with one months rains storms inside a few hours. various parts were water logged - im saying it would have had an effect on numbers.
    I know you are, yet I demonstrated that Londoners had no real reason not to vote as they live very close to their polling stations and nothing prevented them from demonstrating the same grit and determination to vote as the woman I described.

Maybe Londoners just didn't care enough to bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Why do people dislike democracy?
    If we disliked democracy, why would we call for a second referendum?

ReputationRep:
    I know you are, yet I demonstrated that Londoners had no real reason not to vote as they live very close to their polling stations and nothing prevented them from demonstrating the same grit and determination to vote as the woman I described.

When I went to vote it was really sunny, almost too sunny. I debated with myself whether it was worth getting sunburnt to vote so I can understand where these remainers are coming from :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    If we disliked democracy, why would we call for a second referendum?
    Because you refuse to accept the democratic result, its not hard to understand lol.

ReputationRep:
    There won't be a second referendum. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tes5983)
    reached 1.2m signitures for 2nd EU referendum!
    The government just announced we will be holding a second referendum because of the overwhelming numbers

ReputationRep:

im saying london would have had its fair share of fair-weather voters and any other area - and these may have been put off by extreme weather that day, and the travel disruption that ensued. it would explain the figures. espcially as london has as much to lose as any other part of uk from brexit

ReputationRep:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHC1UTyj-SX/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    The government just announced we will be holding a second referendum because of the overwhelming numbers
    No they didnt lol, anyone can go sign that.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a second referendum and people voted leave, the remain side would demand a 3,4, and so on. Just accept the result, I may have not wanted it but this is how democracy works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHC1UTyj-SX/

ReputationRep:
    im saying london would have had its fair share of fair-weather voters and any other area - and these may have been put off by extreme weather that day, and the travel disruption that ensued. it would explain the figures. espcially as london has as much to lose as any other part of uk from brexit
    Yes, you are. I'm saying that Londoners did not have sufficient excuse not to vote, as they live very close to their polling stations, so the lower turnout may simply be due to a lack of motivation or indecision.

If you cannot be bothered to vote you simply have to accept the decisions that others make.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.