MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the function  \displaystyle f^{i}gf^{j}gf^{k} = 4x + 4k + 2j + i , you worked this out in iii)

so if you want to find the different ways to get  \displaystyle 4x + 4m then comparing constant terms of your large function (the fgfgf thing) and the required function

we get  \displaystyle 4x + 4k + 2j + i = 4x + 4m so therefore  \displaystyle 4k + 2j + i = 4m
    but surely thats just calculating the number of possibilities for when you are doing the function
    \displaystyle f^{i}gf^{j}gf^{k}

what about if you did something like \displaystyle g^{2}f^{m}

EDIT: nvm i get it now, j and k would be zero in that case, I understand now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    i just dont get why the dx is above the cos3x
    \int_0^{\pi/8} \! \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} can just be treated as \int_0^{\pi/8} \! \frac{1}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} \, \mathrm{d}x, as it is basically treating \mathrm{d}x as a scalar multiple, thus being on the numerator:

\frac{1}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} \, \times \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm {cos} 3x}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by some-student)
    \int_0^{\pi/8} \! \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} can just be treated as \int_0^{\pi/8} \! \frac{1}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} \, \mathrm{d}x, as it is basically treating \mathrm{d}x as a scalar multiple, thus being on the numerator:

\frac{1}{\mathrm {cos} 3x} \, \times \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm {cos} 3x}
    Okay, I didn't know you could treat \displaystyle dx like that, thanks. Are there any other ways you can use \displaystyle dx where its not\displaystyle f'(x) [x] dx or \displaystyle f'(x) [dx/x] ?

ReputationRep:
    Also, is anyone here going to that MAT support event thing tomorrow at manchester uni?

ReputationRep:
    Also, is anyone here going to that MAT support event thing tomorrow at manchester uni?
    No, but could you do me a favour and let me know what they say? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain MAT15 Q3 Part VI?

I have absolutely no idea where they got anything in their solution from.

ReputationRep:
    Is from now till the 2nd of November adequate time to prepare for the MAT? Had a change of heart recently and decided to take MAT with hope of offer from Imperial. I have scored above 90 ums in all my maths and further modules. Will 3 weeks be enough time to prepare?

ReputationRep:
    how was the MAT thingy in manchester, did they talk about anything helpful?

ReputationRep:
    how was the MAT thingy in manchester, did they talk about anything helpful?
    not really, kinda **** tbh. the only new things we did were modulus graphs and floor function graphs which only really appear with step. although, they said they were gonna email some additional resources to our maths teachers to give us. if any of the stuff they give us is useful, ill pass it on.

ReputationRep:
    not really, kinda **** tbh. the only new things we did were modulus graphs and floor function graphs which only really appear with step. although, they said they were gonna email some additional resources to our maths teachers to give us. if any of the stuff they give us is useful, ill pass it on.
    PRSOM, thanks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the joys of being from NI, we get none of these days

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM, thanks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the joys of being from NI, we get none of these days
    you didnt miss out on anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aggirus)
    Is from now till the 2nd of November adequate time to prepare for the MAT? Had a change of heart recently and decided to take MAT with hope of offer from Imperial. I have scored above 90 ums in all my maths and further modules. Will 3 weeks be enough time to prepare?
    Work hard and find out tbh.
    Not tryna be a dick btw just saying it how it is no one can say whther it is or not enough time for u but Mat aint possible just do all the papers and see what happens. Tips are all over thread so read thru

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm trying to leave aside a few MAT papers for later on so i'm thinking of doing some STEP 1/2 questions. I dont think i'll have time to do full papers especially since some topics aren't included in the MAT. with the spreadsheet on the STEP thread showing the different topics of the questions, are there any topics that i should focus on and do for STEP which would help for MAT? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aggirus)
    3 weeks is not much but if you're good at maths you don't need to study too much.
    BTW, search for DrFrost, he is your lord and saviour .

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_4871.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  496.2 KBCan someone tell me where I went wrong? This is MAT 2013 Q5 last part

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with question C on the 2008 MAT please? I know you have to rearrange them so they equal to x and then set both equations equal to each other, but i'm not getting the same arrangement as the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitchb777dotcom)
    What's everyone scoring on the 2008 paper? I just got 67 but it's 2 years before the score data, as it's still a relatively recent paper I hope 65-75 is still a very competitive score?
    How did you do question C on the 2008 paper? I know you have to rearrange both equations so they equal to x or y and then set them to each other, but im struggling to get the same answer as the mark scheme. How did you do tis question?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 19.08.32BST.png
Views: 69
Size:  12.0 KB

Attachment 586746586748

How do they get (A+B) +B=1
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1998P)
    Can anyone help with question C on the 2008 MAT please? I know you have to rearrange them so they equal to x and then set both equations equal to each other, but i'm not getting the same arrangement as the mark scheme.
    Think of the two equations as equations of lines (sin and cos are just numbers/cooefficients and re-arrange to make \displaystyle y the subject;
    \displaystyle

(sin \theta )y=(cos \theta )x-2 \gets Equation One

(cos \theta )y=1-(sin \theta )x \gets Equation Two

Eqn1:   y= ((cos \theta )x -2) /sin\theta

Eqn2: y= (1-(sin \theta )x)/cos\theta

As these are both straight lines, they will only have solutions if they intersect.

Gradient of Eqn1 is Cos/Sin =1/Tan
    gradient of Eqn2 is -Sin/Cos = -Tan

As those gradient are different, they both are not parallel, so they intersect at some point, so they always have a solution

ReputationRep:
    For someone that hasnt prepared at all yet, what would be the best way to prepare?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.