The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    Welcome to this thread! I'm doing Lang and lit combined if that helps, and I'm doing an EPQ too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, nice one! What's the combined lit and lang like? I do them separately, as you can see. Too much English!

What's your EPQ about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Oh, nice one! What's the combined lit and lang like? I do them separately, as you can see. Too much English!

What's your EPQ about?
    In Year 12 I studied Frankenstein and the Mean Time anthology of poems by Carol Ann Duffy for the literature section. I found Frankenstein quite hard at the start because of the lexical choices used (this is what sixth form has done to me) but I soon started to get to grips with it. The poems were okay, I'd already studied one in Year 11 for GCSE, so that was all well and good. For the language part I had a Paris anthology where we had to read lots of texts and explore genre, audience and purpose alongside many linguistic features overall I found it quite hard in Year 12, I even wanted to drop it at one point, but couldn't as I was only doing 3 AS levels

In Year 13 it looks more interesting. We do coursework which I'm so excited for!! We study the Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire!! I've been reading both over the summer and bought the study guide for Streetcar, and they're really interesting! Then we have to go over what we learned in Year 12, as AS content pops up in the final A level exams. I'm excited for it, I think I'll enjoy it more than last year

For EPQ I'm looking at how autism is portrayed in television and how it has helped people to understand it. I have autism myself, so it's really interesting seeing how different the portrayals are. I'm dreading the presentation part though even though I'm getting better at standing up in front of the class and doing presentations by myself, it's still scary I'll get through it though, it'll be worth it when I get a good grade. What are you doing in yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's interesting! It sounds similar to what I do in my courses.

In year 12, we studied purposes, audience, context, grammar, pragmatics, etc etc in English Language. In Literature, we studied A Streetcar Named Desire (feel free to ask me if you need any help or advice, I've done that text to death!), 1984, Paradise Lost, and Hamlet.

In year 13, we are doing Language Acquisition in English Language as well as the development of the actual English Language (I am really looking forward to that because I'm a History nut). For English Literature, we are doing the same texts but swapping Streetcar for the handmaids tale.

Oh that's really interesting! I have autism too, actually. (Aspergers syndrome is my diagnosis). My EPQ is about to what extent did enlightenment ideas and French Philosophers cause the French Revolution!

ReputationRep:
    I started two weeks ago!! Hey guys, I think I'll join in this thread if that's okay.

Anyone doing any of these subjects?

English Language
    English Literature
    History

(also doing an EPQ!)
    I'm doing Lit and History, what texts are you studying /topics in history ?

ReputationRep:
    I started two weeks ago!! Hey guys, I think I'll join in this thread if that's okay.

Anyone doing any of these subjects?

English Language
    English Literature
    History

(also doing an EPQ!)
    I'm doing Lit and EPQ

ReputationRep:
    I have Aspergers myself, so it's nice to talk to others who can relate your courses sound really interesting, I wanted to take literature on its own but the head of sixth form suggested I do the combined instead ! Your EPQ sounds really interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm starting on the 18th

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheHorizon)
    I'm starting on the 18th

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my gosh!!!!, you must have a long summer....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    True that, I wish I went to a school in which everyone lives locally, only seen like 5 friends this summer as they are the only ones who live in like a 5-10 mile radius
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    IKR it is mad and some unis are even worse (I think bristol had like 1 acceptance for every 17 applications last year). I hope not either, need all the hope I can get Though If I do not get in first time, decided I will take a gap year (if I get good A2 results) do loads of work experience, make the perfect PS etc and try again. If I am rejected AGAIN then I think the medicine dream is over and I will just take my 5th choice
    Same! If i do want to see anyone, the public transport costs are so expensive! Can't wait until i can just drive to see people
    I hate that statistic :lol: I like to think in applying smart, but what if I'm not, you know? I'm trying my best...
    I'll do the same thing, I think. My fifth choice will probably be chiropractic...

(Original post by OnTheHorizon)
    I'm starting on the 18th

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so late :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    I'm doing Lit and EPQ
    Yay! What texts are you doing, and what is your EPQ about!?

I have Aspergers myself, so it's nice to talk to others who can relate your courses sound really interesting, I wanted to take literature on its own but the head of sixth form suggested I do the combined instead ! Your EPQ sounds really interesting Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks so much!! Like I said, if you need any tips with Streetcar, I have a lot of knowledge about it!

Yeah, I have aspergers, I'm proud of it but it gets a little annoying sometimes when people don't understand or aren't lenient when I do something or say something I can't help. It gets really frustrating...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling to write their personal statement. I love writing and have quite a bit to talk about but I've just got personal statement block lol- lots of pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I start on Wednesday but not sure if I have lessons r if I'm just picking up my timetable etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    I start on Wednesday but not sure if I have lessons r if I'm just picking up my timetable etc.
    At the end of the school year my sixth form sent us a letter saying that all students in the sixth form must attend an assembly on 7th September to collect our timetables, so it'll be interesting to see who will be in my Year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the school year my sixth form sent us a letter saying that all students in the sixth form must attend an assembly on 7th September to collect our timetables, so it'll be interesting to see who will be in my Year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think my sixth form has probably halved this year (not many people returning)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jealous of those of you who haven't started yet... I'm already busy with A2 work.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of really want to know who didn't get back in, and who dropped my classes...
    I feel like biology will be substantially smaller, but I'm not completely certain...

Am I a bad person? :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    I think my sixth form has probably halved this year (not many people returning)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, a few of my friends dropped out to go somewhere else! Also a considerable amount of people got Us in multiple subjects, so they had to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I kind of really want to know who didn't get back in, and who dropped my classes...
    I feel like biology will be substantially smaller, but I'm not completely certain...

Am I a bad person? :hide:
    I'm the same haha.

Although I'm more excited to see my history teachers and celebrate getting an A!! Also I want to see my marks in each question on Edexcel Online or whatever it's called.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm such a nerd lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a few of my friends dropped out to go somewhere else! Also a considerable amount of people got Us in multiple subjects, so they had to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I don't know much of the grades but I think people are just leaving because they want to. I think the people who got Us in my year will probably resit or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I'm the same haha.

Although I'm more excited to see my history teachers and celebrate getting an A!! Also I want to see my marks in each question on Edexcel Online or whatever it's called.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm such a nerd lol
    I've been dying to know what my marks for each question were in history is the account yours or does a teacher have to find out for you?? (also, I have to ask: which topics did you do for AS/going to do for A2??)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.