The Student Room Group

Mass shooting in Munich

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
What confuses me is that if he is far right why wouldn't he shoot up a refugee centre or somewhere like that ?Shooting in a mall or crowded area seems like an Islamic extremist attack,or maybe the shooter targeted ppl he thought were immigrants/refugees?

I suspect if it is a far-right group, they probably might target certain people. Though they may perceive the people they are shooting to be liberals whom they probably perceive to be guilty too.

I think refugee camps probably have a greater level of security (though I could be wrong). There have been incidents of disorder and violence in refugee camps, so I imagine it would have greater security than a mall would in order to deal with such events..
Original post by JohnGreek
What's up with these saddo ****s mass murdering people as of late?

saddos have been murdering people for a long time. it happens all the time in certain parts of earth.
Original post by Lujubi
Police rule out Islamic Terrorism. Read before you make assumptions Trapz. You have been known to do this.

Fam I don't even know who you are, yet you seem to know me... wth

Anyway there are now reports that the attacker shouted Allah Akbar
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 283
Original post by Trapz99

It's funny how CNN is the only news outlet (besides the DM who changed their headline) who state that the attacker shouted "Allah Akbar" whilst the rest of the media are leaning towards a right-wing nutjob with an anti-immigrant agenda.

I've seen most of your posts around here and I'm not impressed by them. You claim to be a Christian but all I see is you spreading hate. You're so eager for it to be Muslim that you're too blind to read news reports to gain more information. I'm disappointed in you, Trapz. :redface:
Original post by Trapz99

Haven't seen that, there are reports he yelled an anti-foreigner slur, maybe you are meaning the knife attack on Monday?
CNN claim police say suspects have an "Islamist background".
Odd though, as I've spent a good 15 minutes looking for official police statements regarding suspect's background and they haven't released anything publicly.

CNN either has a private police source or is making it up?

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/07/22/hunt-underway-for-one-or-more-shooters-on-the-run-lead-ripley-live.cnn
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TelAviv
CNN claim police say suspects have an "Islamist background".
Odd though, as I've spent a good 15 minutes looking for official police statements regarding suspect's background and they haven't released anything publicly.

CNN either has a private police source or is making it up?

We shall have to wait and see what official statements are released in the coming days.
Original post by CatusStarbright
We shall have to wait and see what official statements are released in the coming days.

There's also a press conference in about 40 minutes (1am BST). They might give some good info then
I think it's safe to say that regardless of who did this, this was a horrific act and there is no doubt some suspicions behind who might be behind the attack.

What I find annoying is that there seems to be a 'tug of war' game between two groups of people on this thread, as if far-rights extremism and Islamic extremism can somehow deflect blame on either ideologies.

Both ideologies are not acceptable. Whatever motives these attackers have will not alter the harmful nature of these ideologies. As a continent we are still not facing these arising problems seriously enough. We are more ready to shift blame than addressing both ideologies head on. At the end nothing is done but mere child's play.

A mixed solution is obviously required, I would like governments to start consulting and enforce prevention policies. Uncontrolled acceptance of refugees cannot remain in place. Countries must do more to encourage existing ethnic minorities to be included in society, not by positive discrimination but to ensure equal distribution of resources. Potential sources of radicalisation must be closely monitored. Governments must consider regulating faith schools and make sure that faith serves as an enrichment, not a curriculum.

However tough or 'politically incorrect', governments must start acting with meaningful purpose and direction. You cannot expect these ideologies to simply go away if you do nothing, they will simply grow.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Haven't seen that, there are reports he yelled an anti-foreigner slur, maybe you are meaning the knife attack on Monday?

No I don't mean that one. All the tabloids are saying that the guy shouted Allah Albar and that a bystander called the attacker a foreigner, to which he apparently replied to with 'I am German. I was born here'
Gunman acted alone.
Original post by ivy.98
YES i know but in this case it was a Muslim incident, of course..

make space in your inbox
According to the Munich police, it was an 18 year old iranian man. Chances are it was Islam that was the primary motive, if we look at the religious demographics of Iranian people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Police confirm shooter was an 18 year old 2nd generation Iranian immigrant.

Not exactly the "white supremacist Neo-Nazi" he was made out to be?
I've never seen a 'leftie' say Islam is the religion of peace. Nine times out of ten it is an anti-Islam person premeditating the response from the left because standardised arguments are too much for them.
Not quite sure if this is a terror attack or if it is a lone wolf. Only one eyewitness reported hearing him say Allah Albar
Reply 296
"It appears the shooter hacked a Facebook account and sent a message urging people to come to the mall for a free giveaway at McDonalds. "

:lolwut:
Original post by Trapz99
Not quite sure if this is a terror attack or if it is a lone wolf. Only one eyewitness reported hearing him say Allah Albar

So the definition of whether or not it is a terror attack is based on an Islamist motive? :rolleyes:
Well said Foo. I agree with it all.
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
Oh piss off you vile person, multiculturalism has been working for centuries and is continuing to work fine. Just because a handful of these people go on shootings or commit attacks, it doesn't mean 'multiculturalism has failed' lmfao. The shooter yesterday 'liked mass shootings' and was a half German half Iranian, he'd been in the country for 18 years, ie - his entire life. So get over this delusion that all of our problems are caused by a few immigrants coming in. Clearly there is a weapons black market in Europe which needs to be tackled, but apparently this is a foreign problem :rolleyes:, go ahead and bring up the axe/truck attacks, but people who openly hate the refugees, just as you are doing, no doubt make them feel segregated. Maybe their culture is 'backwards', but they're in here, stop crying, stop putting fuel on the fire and start accepting them instead of marginalising them as brutes.

There's a difference between multiculturalism and a melting pot. What should happen, and what mostly did happen before mass muslim immigration became a thing, is different cultures uniting, bringing their best aspects to the table, but mostly assimilating and integrating into their host culture, leaving the worst aspects of their cultures behind. Unfortunately, muslims don't make any effort to integrate, and don't reject the crappy parts of islamic culture.

Quick Reply