There is no evidence for God

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    I assume you know at least a little about what a chemical is, and at least a little about nuclear structure.

If we have a huge cloud of hydrogen gas in space, and it was spread out perfectly evenly, then galaxies won't form because the forces would be perfectly canceled in every direction. The Universe was not spread out perfectly evenly, so the slightly more dense regions started attracting the less dense regions.

After a while, millions of years later, it can get dense enough and hot enough from all the moving about that the middle parts of these atoms called nuclei can smash together even though their charges are the same (think how hard it is to push two strong magnets together, same poles). A star is born.

These stars are factories that turn lighter elements into heavier elements, with a particular force called the Strong Nuclear Force. These stars change hydrogen into helium by changing their nuclear structure. And when these stars die and other stars made of helium form, they form heavier elements until it reaches iron (which doesn't require extra energy to do, lighter elements want to form heavier elements).

The heavier elements after that need energy to fuse together, you can't just convince them to do it on their own. The more massive stars happen to be quite good at that, as they can implode and explode. These form the elements on the periodic table.

If you have a bunch of this material around in space, they'd attract eachother and form planets. The Earth is one of them, with lots of elements that react with eachother to form stable compounds.

The precise way life itself emerged out of that, we're not really sure. But we know that all it would take is one molecule that can self-replicate and carry information, and use up the available energy outside to form life.

At that point, it becomes a matter of fulfilling whatever evolutionary roles are available (like taking up whatever job needs doing) because these creatures would be able to live when they do, and die out if they don't. Mammals at some point became a dominant species, and intelligence was clearly a trait that has advantages.

With agriculture, we eventually settled down and developed the highly complex societies we have today. So what does that mean in terms of life's purpose? I suppose to continue the legacy and make society better, but it can be more or less self-defined.

The most unique thing in the entire Universe that we know of, capable of complex experiences, is us. In that sense, we should live to maximise happiness and reduce suffering, live to experience what the world has to offer, and to better the world in what little way we can.
    the veil of science, makes it so hard to see the REAL truth.
    look science can do its utmost best to explain what happened in the early years of the creation of the universe, but it can NEVER explain why and how it was created, our knowledge is too limited to comprehend or even fathom the greatness of God. There is no physics principle, no mathematical equation, and no form of understanding that can adequately quantify God.
    God bless you m8.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you know at least a little about what a chemical is, and at least a little about nuclear structure.

If we have a huge cloud of hydrogen gas in space, and it was spread out perfectly evenly, then galaxies won't form because the forces would be perfectly canceled in every direction. The Universe was not spread out perfectly evenly, so the slightly more dense regions started attracting the less dense regions.

After a while, millions of years later, it can get dense enough and hot enough from all the moving about that the middle parts of these atoms called nuclei can smash together even though their charges are the same (think how hard it is to push two strong magnets together, same poles). A star is born.

These stars are factories that turn lighter elements into heavier elements, with a particular force called the Strong Nuclear Force. These stars change hydrogen into helium by changing their nuclear structure. And when these stars die and other stars made of helium form, they form heavier elements until it reaches iron (which doesn't require extra energy to do, lighter elements want to form heavier elements).

The heavier elements after that need energy to fuse together, you can't just convince them to do it on their own. The more massive stars happen to be quite good at that, as they can implode and explode. These form the elements on the periodic table.

If you have a bunch of this material around in space, they'd attract eachother and form planets. The Earth is one of them, with lots of elements that react with eachother to form stable compounds.

The precise way life itself emerged out of that, we're not really sure. But we know that all it would take is one molecule that can self-replicate and carry information, and use up the available energy outside to form life.

At that point, it becomes a matter of fulfilling whatever evolutionary roles are available (like taking up whatever job needs doing) because these creatures would be able to live when they do, and die out if they don't. Mammals at some point became a dominant species, and intelligence was clearly a trait that has advantages.

With agriculture, we eventually settled down and developed the highly complex societies we have today. So what does that mean in terms of life's purpose? I suppose to continue the legacy and make society better, but it can be more or less self-defined.

The most unique thing in the entire Universe that we know of, capable of complex experiences, is us. In that sense, we should live to maximise happiness and reduce suffering, live to experience what the world has to offer, and to better the world in what little way we can.
    Lol You still haven't told me anything?

Life itself can't seem to be explained by many scientists,, it doesn't seem to have many legit answers.

Where do these forces come from to even be able to be strong enough to do what they are doing? From nowhere?

Where does this concept come from? that we as humans should aim to maximise happiness and reduce suffering?

Sounds something like the God i serve wants from us : ) but hey lovely speaking to you! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidoriakhi)
    look science can do its utmost best to explain what happened in the early years of the creation of the universe, but it can NEVER explain why and how it was created, our knowledge is too limited to comprehend or even fathom the greatness of God. There is no physics principle, no mathematical equation, and no form of understanding that can adequately quantify God.
    God bless you m8.
    Neither can religion. It made thousands of guesses throughout the millenia, could you honestly say that all of them were right?

ReputationRep:
    God bless you m8.
    Amen! : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Both oxygen and wind can be physically and empirically detected, God cannot.
    you don't need to physically detect something before you can know it exists.
    can you see your brain? can you feel it?
    its obvious your brain is there because of the tasks you can perform (your ability to think and perform, your ability to retain memory and regurgitate it when necessary)
    God exists! even the scientists you put ALL your faith in can't answer everything. But God can, yes He can.
    thats life my friend,
    God bless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikaela!)
    Okay : ) Where do stars come from? : )

You are now telling me about evolution and species transforming

But where did the first specie of a particular form of nature come from to be transformed and evolve?
    I am not evoking a ' A supernatural explanation', i know there is one.

Everything has to come from something,nothing comes from nothing.
    No it doesn't. You've never heard of virtual particles have you? Take beta decay for example. A W+ or W- boson (depending on whether it's beta - or + decay going on) spontaneously (ie: with no cause/trigger) pops into existence by borrowing energy from the universe, interacts with the neutron or proton and then pops out of existence again and returns it's energy to the universe. I'm not even joking, that's how beta decay works.

The first link describes star formation, the second explains some basics of quantum electrodynamics and about virtual particles.
    https://www.spacetelescope.org/scien...tion_of_stars/
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...odynamics.html

ReputationRep:

Life itself can't seem to be explained by many scientists,, it doesn't seem to have many legit answers.

Where do these forces come from to even be able to be strong enough to do what they are doing? From nowhere?

Where does this concept come from? that we as humans should aim to maximise happiness and reduce suffering?

Sounds something like the God i serve wants from us : ) but hey lovely speaking to you! xx
    A thousand years ago we didn't know what forces were. Now we do. That doesn't mean forces didn't exist. But when the concept of forces came along, evidence soon followed.
    Just because we can't explain it now, doesn't mean you can either in a manner which is supported by evidence. You have an idea of how life started (albeit a weak one). I can simply state a magical bowl of spaghetti started it and it's just as likely as God. When your own belief is as likely as my statement, surely you should understand that, because you do not know what happened, you shouldn't assume something exists.
    I don't know a magical bowl of spaghetti that started the universe and explains everything exists. That doesn't mean I believe it does.

ReputationRep:
    its obvious your brain is there because of the tasks you can perform (your ability to think and perform, your ability to retain memory and regurgitate it when necessary)
    God exists! even the scientists you put ALL your faith in can't answer everything. But God can, yes He can.
    thats life my friend,
    God bless.
    So true God is great!

ReputationRep:
    Okay : ) Where do stars come from? : )

You are now telling me about evolution and species transforming

But where did the first specie of a particular form of nature come from to be transformed and evolve?
    I am not evoking a ' A supernatural explanation', i know there is one.

Everything has to come from something,nothing comes from nothing.
    Stars come from hydrogen and helium which were formed in the big bang.It is unknown where matter came from.The big bang merely describes the expansion of the universe from a single point.It doesnt describe anything before that.Where matter comes from.How life began.Whether this is the only universe.All unknown.But thats the job of science.Science is a process to find out some of the answers if we can.Just because you dont know something doesnt mean you can just say god did it.The correct response is to say ok we dont know but lets try and find out.Even if we never find out at least we tried.Some people cant stand not knowing so they say it must be god.But the truth is we dont know what its all about and anyone who says they do is lying.

ReputationRep:
    So true God is great!
    Thanks bae

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    No it doesn't. You've never heard of virtual particles have you? Take beta decay for example. A W+ or W- boson (depending on whether it's beta - or + decay going on) spontaneously (ie: with no cause/trigger) pops into existence by borrowing energy from the universe, interacts with the neutron or proton and then pops out of existence again and returns it's energy to the universe. I'm not even joking, that's how beta decay works.

The first link describes star formation, the second explains some basics of quantum electrodynamics and about virtual particles.
    https://www.spacetelescope.org/scien...tion_of_stars/
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...odynamics.html
    Sorry to be pedantic, but virtual particles arise from vacuum energy, which is indeed something.

ReputationRep:
    God bless you m8.
    Hey, you don't know if a magical bowl of spaghetti started the universe, and since we can't explain ourselves how EXACTLY it happened, lets just go with this.

This is basically what your telling me?

ReputationRep:

It's your problem that you can't phrase your questions in a way that can be clearly answered, not ours. The interface between non-life and life on this planet is hard to figure out, you can't exactly dig up a fossil of a between-not-life-and-life cell to investigate.

The question about the forces doesn't make sense, they simply describe a property of matter. It is an intrinsic part of it. It exists as part of the Universe, with no clearly defined origin other than the Universe itself. It's not like deities that you have to "believe" to be real though, its effects still run whether you like or know about it.

The maximising happiness is based on utilitarianism, a branch of philosophy about what moral behaviours are. It's also based on the fact that we can feel and have experiences, whereas something like a puddle can't.

ReputationRep:
    Amen! : )
    So true God is great!
    Amen.
    Bloody echo chamber dweebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Sorry to be pedantic, but virtual particles arise from vacuum energy, which is indeed something.
    Fair point. I wouldn't go much further than that if I were you though, wouldn't want his tiny creationist brain to explode. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Neither can religion. It made thousands of guesses throughout the millenia, could you honestly say that all of them were right?
    dont get me wrong m8, i dont believe in religion.
    I believe in having a personal relationship with God.
    Christianity is not a religion, its just having a personal relationship with God.
    we dont need to pray 5 times a day or fast for a certain period of time, we dont do rituals.
    we worship God because we want to, thats the way we can thank him and praise him for our lives and what we have.
    im not saying other religions are right, and NO they do not all lead to the same God.
    God bless you.

ReputationRep:
    thats life my friend,
    God bless.
    The only instrument that should be trusted, is precise data-measuring tools. The things you're citing like brains have very specific mechanisms on how they work and interact with the world, Gods don't.

Faith - ie belief despite contradictions to reason - aren't desired or necessary in science.

Also, try to make yourself a little more understandable. The posts you make are hardly legible

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is not a religion, its just having a personal relationship with God.
    we dont need to pray 5 times a day or fast for a certain period of time, we dont do rituals.
    we worship God because we want to, thats the way we can thank him and praise him for our lives and what we have.
    im not saying other religions are right, and NO they do not all lead to the same God.
    God bless you.
    Christianity involves a belief against reason in a supernatural deity, of course it's a religion.

But suppose you can have a personal relationship with God, how do you interact with him exactly? Do you send SMS text messages to his phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Stars come from hydrogen and helium which were formed in the big bang.It is unknown where matter came from.The big bang merely describes the expansion of the universe from a single point.It doesnt describe anything before that.Where matter comes from.How life began.Whether this is the only universe.All unknown.But thats the job of science.Science is a process to find out some of the answers if we can.Just because you dont know something doesnt mean you can just say god did it.The correct response is to say ok we dont know but lets try and find out.Even if we never find out at least we tried.Some people cant stand not knowing so they say it must be god.But the truth is we dont know what its all about and anyone who says they do is lying.
    My questions were not rhetorical and i did not say 'God did it' you did. Yes i believe God did regardless but that is not the point i was trying to make.

My point is that science in itself cannot tell me much or tell me anything about the person that i am, or why i'm here, nor where life really came from, and this is what a lot of people put their trust in.

Yes, i believe many things are a process which was why i didn't wake up one morning and think 'i'll believe in this God called Jesus today' it was a process, but i can assure you that my God has all power over science.

But hey : )
    it was lovely speaking to you to! xx

ReputationRep:
    God bless you.
    How do you other religions are wrong and don't lead to the same God? I mean it can't be the Bible or anything since you just want a personal relationship with God and don't want to follow these traditions and 'rituals'.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.