The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahree_Ah)
    Hey everyone
    I'm Mahree, and I'm a September baby, with is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. I like to write, read, cook, run and a bunch of other things.

I'm taking 9 GCSEs (originally wanted to take 12, but I moved schools and their timetable only allowed for 9 subjects, could actually be a good thing)

I'm doing:

- English Language (WJEC)
    - English Literature (WJEC)
    - Maths (Edexcel)
    - Biology (AQA)
    - Chemistry (AQA)
    - Physics (AQA)
    - French (AQA)
    - Geography (AQA)
    - History (AQA)

I don't actually have a favourite subject, I just like learning, and if I'm learning I'm happy Chemistry is my favourite science, I prefer Language over Literature and I actually like doing French.
    I think I'm ready for Year 11. All through last year, I built up revision materials and folders for this year and I've spent quite a bit of time of them. I just want Year 11 to be as stress free as possible. :cool: The new GCSEs though, I don't know. I'm predicted 8s in all 3 of them, but I feel like I'm at a dead end. I've gotten 7s all year for English Lit and Lang but I always seem to buckle on major exams, idk. Maths I'd never though I'd be worried about but I'm actually am. I've baseline a 6, and since Year 7 I've always been keen to get a A* (8) on this. The new exams seem so much harder and there's still so much to learn.

I wish to persuse medicine and work in healthcare in the future and I'm a lot more excited to go to Uni, than to complete A-Levels.
    Welcome to the Current year 11 thread!
    You certainly seem like an enthusiastic pupil. I can't believe I've found another person with WJEC for English . How are you finding the specification? I'm personally finding it quite demanding especially as I find English quite challenging (although I enjoy the challenge!).

Be sure to drop me a PM if you ever need to discuss English or any other subject for that matter!

Well...

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm Cerian and I'm 15-years-old. I enjoy reading, using the internet and horse-riding, as well as being lazy as it's what I'm best at!

I study 8 GCSEs:

1) English Language (WJEC).
    2) English Literature (WJEC).
    3) Mathematics (WJEC).
    4) Additional Science (AQA).
    5) Welsh Second Language (WJEC).
    6) Geography (WJEC).
    7) I.C.T (WJEC).
    8) History (WJEC).

I'm also forced to endure Welsh Bacc as I'm from Wales. It was introduced to Key Stages 3 & 4 in September 2015, and it's a terrible subject. I hate it.

I guess I'm ready for Year 11. I was a bit lazy in Year 10, I must admit; however, I'm now prepared to knuckle down and work hard in the upcoming year. As long as I get at least A and B grades in all my subjects, I'll be happy.

My favourite subject at the moment is I.C.T, simply because I appear to be good at it. My grade for Year 10 was an A which I'm over the moon about! I also enjoy the Science subjects. I used to like English, but now I find it boring at GCSE level.

Lastly, my dream career is to be a forensic pathologist. I aspire to go to sixth form, get some A Levels and study Medicine at university; you have to study Medicine before you can be a pathologist, as far as I know. Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

(Original post by Oluwafemi.muyiwa)
    u man r nerds not gonna lie
    Tbh I am still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oluwafemi.muyiwa)
    u man r nerds not gonna lie

ReputationRep:
    A kind reminder to all members that non-constructive comments are not welcomed on this thread and that like any other thread exisiting TSR rules still apply. Failure to comply with these rules will lead to disciplinary action being taken.

Thank You,
    JTran38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    What exam board do you do?
    I do Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I do Edexcel too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMilkshake)
    Tbh I am still
    The majority of us are I guess and I'm proud of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikerio)
    Thank you
    For the osmosis one, I believe I brought about 7 pages of just copied and pasted info and wrote up 4 sides (with a 2 side bibliography). We were given a double lesson for that so I had plenty of time to sort out the parts most relevant to the questions in lesson. I'm sure you know this, but the bibliography is soooo important. Make sure you get everything your teacher tells you to include - the entire URL, the author, the date when it was last edited, when you accessed it and the company or organisation that made it. We were also told specifically not to use Wikipedia. Don't forget to reference as you go as well.

For the structure, I believe I just printed off a picture of the two different types of cells and used that as a reference. I had two sections; similarities and differences. If I recognised the part of the cell I would add what it was used for; i.e. mitochondria for respiration, because organisms need to respire etc etc. I also mentioned the names of some stuff that were in the diagram but I hadn't heard of like golgi apparatus. This probably wasn't the best strategy though. I would recommend finding out what parts of the cells we're required to know and discussing them in order to be efficient and cover anything that's required. Splitting it up into similarities and differences worked well. (bare in mind [I think] research isn't marked on content, but method, thus why there's so much emphasis on the bibliography)

Good luck with your physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely pay more attention on my bibliography and I think i know now what too write. Thanks sooo much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vin57xd)
    Im doing OCR B triple aswell, starting chemistry coursework as soon as we get back to school how much have you revised over the summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heyyy . I have done most of my chem coursework just before school ended and i'm finishing it when school starts again. Right now i am starting my bio coursework and i finished my phy coursework last yr. This summer i kinda went over all the content for the modules but i've been kinda lazy and have been just relaxing. I have also done some maths work as i know that on the first day back from school my whole year will be given a "surprise" maths mock (lol my maths teacher told us on the last day). I still have a lot of work to do for next year but i am trying to not think about it lol . What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR b triple as well! I did both my Biology and Physics coursework at the end of last year, and find out my grades this September. Starting Chemistry coursework as soon as I get back 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimball)
    I'm doing OCR b triple as well! I did both my Biology and Physics coursework at the end of last year, and find out my grades this September. Starting Chemistry coursework as soon as I get back 😁
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Aliya, my hobbies include baking, debating and reading

I'm doing 10 GCSE's which are:
    1. English Lit and Lang- AQA ( I'm doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and An inspector calls)
    2. Maths - AQA
    3. Triple Science - AQA ( I done core science, not allowed to find out grades until I start back in September )
    4. History - WJEC ( Haven't seen anyone doing this?? )
    5. Geography - WJEC ( Ditto )
    6. French - AQA
    7. Religous Studies - Edexcel

I'm not ready for year 11 but I don't expect anyone to be, I feel as if everyone expects a lot of me and I'm scared to disappoint.

For A-Levels I would love to do history, french, maths and politics and government/economics

I really want to be a lawyer but my dream is to do PPE at a really good uni so maybe a law conversion

new on tsr but feel free to chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Welcome to the Current year 11 thread!
    You certainly seem like an enthusiastic pupil. I can't believe I've found another person with WJEC for English . How are you finding the specification? I'm personally finding it quite demanding especially as I find English quite challenging (although I enjoy the challenge!).

Be sure to drop me a PM if you ever need to discuss English or any other subject for that matter!
    Hey, thanks The specification is a nightmare! The poetry is waaayy too much, on top of 3 books/plays. 18 is overkill, we are only writing about 2 in the exam, so why 18 instead of like 8 or 10?

ReputationRep:
    Is the GCSE past paper section on TSR not working for everyone, or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaanii12)

1. English Lit and Lang- AQA ( I'm doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and An inspector calls)
    2. Maths - AQA
    3. Triple Science - AQA ( I done core science, not allowed to find out grades until I start back in September )
    6. French - AQA

I'm not ready for year 11 but I don't expect anyone to be, I feel as if everyone expects a lot of me and I'm scared to disappoint.

For A-Levels I would love to do history, french, maths and politics and government/economics

I really want to be a lawyer but my dream is to do PPE at a really good uni so maybe a law conversion

I'm not in year 11, but I'm sitting geography in year 10 with wjec, how're you finding it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaanii12)

2. Maths - AQA
    6. French - AQA

I'm doing geography with wjec a year earlier so I'm at the same stage as you, how are you finding it learning 18 case studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sardonic Zarah)
    I'm doing geography with wjec a year earlier so I'm at the same stage as you, how are you finding it learning 18 case studies
    lol you joined the year 11 thread in year 10? very weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Is the GCSE past paper section on TSR not working for everyone, or is it just me?
    Yeah, it's not loading for me. I'd just use the links within the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahree_Ah)
    Hey, thanks The specification is a nightmare! The poetry is waaayy too much, on top of 3 books/plays. 18 is overkill, we are only writing about 2 in the exam, so why 18 instead of like 8 or 10?
    The specification is truly one of the worst, if not the worst, compared to other exam boards!
    Many students are only studying 15 poems so 3 more probably isn't that much of a change. (The exam board either needs to reduce the total number of poems we have to learn to to increase the number of poems that we will analyse during the exam.)
    It's ridiculous, on top of 18 poems, to essentially memorise 3 prose/plays as well. Yet, I suppose if you put the hours in you'll eventually be apt enough to perform well. It looks like i'll be spending a lot of hours revising for English!

umar39

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.