Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm muslim and the first thing i thought was : what utter BS

DON'T YOU GET IT - you do not live in a muslim country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    That would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it would be terrible

it would further polarize an already tense situation : remember, the UK is not divided into "Muslim areas" and "non-Muslim areas"

we should not further stoke communities one against the other : and the call to prayer is, in many ways, a claim for ownership of a territory , by "ruling the sound waves"

best

ReputationRep:
    Nah we're alright.

Why don't you start allowing churches in Saudi Arabia instead? #willneverhappen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's almost as if the OP wants the terrorists to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    I agree - it shows we are a tolerant country which welcomes multiculturalism and promotes freedom of religion.
    No, it would show that we are having multiculturalism forced upon us against our will. Because incase you haven't noticed, the overwhelming majority of people in this thread are strongly opposed to the petition's demands and it's highly likely the majority of the wider British public would also be opposed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    it would be terrible

it would further polarize an already tense situation : remember, the UK is not divided into "Muslim areas" and "non-Muslim areas"

we should not further stoke communities one against the other : and the call to prayer is, in many ways, a claim for ownership of a territory , by "ruling the sound waves"

best
    It would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    while this may have some appeal for you, I think that you are misjudging the situation of Muslims in the UK

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minjinoor)
    DON'T YOU GET IT - you do not live in a muslim country!
    For how long?

ReputationRep:
    over my bloody dead body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    over my bloody dead body
    lets hope it doesn't come to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    lets hope it doesn't come to that
    aye, but i'd make sure i'd drag few of these bearded *******s down to hell with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    No? Why are you putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.

I just showed you a country other than Saudi Arabia where being Christian is difficult. There are many articles even describing a slow exodus of Christians from the Middle East.
    You said those who criticise ISIS are sent to prison so I thought you meant the government supported them.
    Anyway, my point is, Egypt, while very effin far from perfect, is a better representative of the Muslim populace than Saudi Arabia. Yea Christians have a harder life, but not as in Saudi Arabia where they're essentially second class citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    You said those who criticise ISIS are sent to prison so I thought you meant the government supported them.
    Anyway, my point is, Egypt, while very effin far from perfect, is a better representative of the Muslim populace than Saudi Arabia. Yea Christians have a harder life, but not as in Saudi Arabia where they're essentially second class citizens.
    I merely stated what that article said. But tell me, what do you think about teenagers going to prison for mocking ISIS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It's almost as if the OP wants the terrorists to win.
    its a shame you can't recognise your fellow Islamophobes on sight, the OP is fully against the proposal and wanted to start another Islam-bashing thread

ReputationRep:
    It's only for a couple of minutes.
    You're more likely to wake up from a police siren or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There wouldn't be police sirens at dawn every single day.

I'm genuinely surprised you haven't moved to Pakistan or some other Muslim country because your kind of arrogance about your religion would get you far in those places. Are you planning to move after you graduate from uni?

ReputationRep:
    No thanks, it's not the British way.
    The church-bell argument isn't really valid, since it's rare to hear them (at least where I live) whereas call to prayer is a multiple times a day affair.
    Britain is big on keeping the peace where possible, whereas a call to prayer daily out over a nominally secular country = imposing one's faith on others.

In Britain you're free to pursue your faith (whatever it is) as long as you aren't harming others and imposing it on them.

On another point, Islam has a bit of an image problem, so perhaps tackling radicalism and the hyper-conservatism first would be helpful.

Priorities, ya know?

Fortunately the world is big enough to cater to many interpretations of Islam, so if no loud-speaker call to prayer is important, always somewhere else that meets those requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    its a shame you can't recognise your fellow Islamophobes on sight
    as I said many times : "Islamophobia" is just a hammer being used for hitting on the head (metaphorically) those who oppose Islam

and, once again : opposing Islam, its role and influence in our societies, is perfectly OK (whether we consider it to be an "Islamophobic" attitude or not)

discriminating against individual Muslims is not

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Islam has a bit of an image problem, so perhaps tackling radicalism and the hyper-conservatism first would be helpful..
    true

even contemplating such a possibility means having not the slightest clue about the state of UK public opinion

it means playing into the hands of those who would like to expel Muslims from the land, or at least to have them all registered at police stations

it would reinforce the arguments of those who claim that Islam is trying to take over the UK (which is not necessarily true, at least in the short term)

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    as I said many times : "Islamophobia" is just a hammer being used for hitting on the head (metaphorically) those who oppose Islam

and, once again : opposing Islam, its role and influence in our societies, is perfectly OK (whether we consider it to be an "Islamophobic" attitude or not)

discriminating against individual Muslims is not

best
    The criticism of the word 'islamophobia' is a way of Islamophobes dodging the point.

Islamophobia simply means hate/fear of Islam or Muslims. No one says it means hate/fear of both at the same time. Neither does it mean 'opposing' or 'being critical'. For example, Richard Dawkins isn't an Islamophobe for being critical of Islam.

I believe I already explained this twice to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safaa7)
    Even if you get 1 million signatures the government wouldn't allow it and as a Muslim I'm not going to sign it because the UK is not a Muslim country and we have to respect that.
    I look forward to that 'Trending' but won't hold my breath

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.