Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks Watch

ReputationRep:
    Returning to the subject of the thread (rather than English culture, multiculturalism, integration, ya de ya, yawn yawn) I don't really see what the problem with the article was.

They were just being honest, for some reason we find such honesty shocking.

Also cultural relativism cuts both both ways. We are constantly told that all cultures are equal, none are superior, just different. So why should they not keep their citizens safe by describing what London is like in a non PC way appropriate to their culture?

Asking them to bend to our culture and not speak like this (because we don't like it) is cultural imperialism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)
    No. The only thing they lack is ethnicity. Which is the thing you're using as your turning point here. They have both culture and heritage. They're Japanese. You even explained why they'd have culture in the line before that quote. " and my family lives there for generations, learn the language and assimilate into Japanese life."

Not sure why you contradicted it moments later. Then even if you still don't think they have heritage, as the guy said, where's the line drawn? How many generations does it take to appease you?

And no. Being born and growing up in somalia is part of being somali. I wouldn't care about the race or religion of the person. Neither should you.

Hypothetical question, if a white, british man living in the uk for the whole of his life marries a woman with a Nigerian background (though has also lived in the UK for her whole life too) and has a baby. Are you suggesting that his child loses Britishness even if he was raised in the same circumstances as his parents?
    They don't have the heritage I'm sorry. Heritage isn't something you gain by living somewhere for a few generations. And you know exactly what I mean. I think I understand the issue here perfectly. If someone is denied being British (Britain being a white + christian majority country that's rich and has a higher standard of living compared to a lot of the world) it's so shocking, but denying someone to be Somali isn't a big deal.

Ethnicity is part of it, are we actually going to deny that?

Hypothetical reply: The child is fully British (by law) but in my eyes that child is only half British when we include British heritage etc. I'd say the same if the wife was ethnically Swedish.

ReputationRep:
    Why post threads like this when vile people are going to say toxic things that aren't true about entire races

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it, the magazine was speaking the truth, unfortunately these are the more dangerous areas in London. It would've been classier to simply name the areas, but the Chinese have different social etiquette rules than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Almost any company will issue an apology if enough people complain about something. It's a hollow formality these days and often means nothing.

Using this to validate accusations made against them is rather silly. In fact, the whole idea of a public apology is rather silly, as most of them are forced and meaningless.
    so I take it that u agree with what the airline said?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Air China are 100% right well done them eveb Nigel Farage agrees so there on ti something.

http://www.citysharks.co.uk/2016/09/...farage-argees/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently blatant racism and offending half of the world is considered okay as long as it's interpreted as anti-PC "honesty". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why was my comment removed about most paedophiles and rapists being white but people saying blacks are more likely to cause crime is accepted on this thread and spread lol

Thus the Chinese should be worry at all parts of London, I love tsr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Apparently blatant racism and offending half of the world is considered okay as long as it's interpreted as anti-PC "honesty". :rolleyes:
    god, I question why I still go on tsr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See post #270

Areas of London with large minority populations tend to have higher crime rates and are generally less tourist-friendly. The same can be said for a lot of Western cities.

While the airline could have worded their recommendations in a more politically correct manner, they weren't strictly saying "avoid black and brown people," but the areas where a lot of them reside (due to the high crime rates, etc.). While rather blunt and insensitive, I admit, it serves as an understandable approximation for Chinese tourists unfamiliar with London's geography and neighbourhoods.

(Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    Why post threads like this when vile people are going to say toxic things that aren't true about entire races
    Meh, at least the mods won't be bored for a few days

Apparently blatant racism and offending half of the world is considered okay
    Offending that half of the world is probably not going to have any significant effects

Whereas, offending China would have potentially serious repercussions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Offending that half of the world is probably not going to have any significant effects

Thought they banned you

(Original post by Vividly clear)
    Thought they banned you
    Well, I will be banned again if I discuss this on the forum. PM me if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

Giving that the UK is preparing for trade deals with India post-brexit, I wouldn't be so sure about that

The Chinese airline magazine has apologised however, which I'm sure you'll condemn as cowardly appeasement. I had totally forgotten that decency is considered too "PC" these days.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    While the airline could have worded their recommendations in a more politically correct manner, they weren't strictly saying "avoid black and brown people," but the areas where a lot of them reside (due to the high crime rates, etc.). While rather blunt and insensitive, I admit, it serves as an understandable approximation for Chinese tourists unfamiliar with London's geography and neighbourhoods.
    Yes, they were.

No, it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    So white neighbourhoods are safer? The problem with the advice is that it deems dark skinned people to be more dangerous which isn't the case. There are other factors.

ReputationRep:
    See post #270

Areas of London with large minority populations tend to have higher crime rates and are generally less tourist-friendly. The same can be said for a lot of Western cities.

i understand they were trying to warn the Chinese tourists about dangerous areas but yes they definitely should have worded it better, because it's seems like they're suggesting that Indian, Pakistani and black people are dangerous to be around which is a big generalisation to make

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giving that the UK is preparing for trade deals with India post-brexit, I wouldn't be so sure about that

The Chinese airline magazine has apologised however, which I'm sure you'll condemn as cowardly appeasement. I had totally forgotten that decency is considered too "PC" these days.
    Yeah, I don't understand why they included Indians in the warning.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.