Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate England Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wanted Akinfeev so badly at Arsenal. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Heard Bentley got booed on saturday when he came on? ****ing pathetic if true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Yup, because of all that bumf with the under-21s..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Well he cried off playing for the U21s

ReputationRep:
    What were his reasons for that again?

ReputationRep:
    He was too tired apparently.

Fair enough its his choice.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ he was knackered

McClaren is a joke cant wait to get rid of him, even the boro fans didnt rate him.

I hope he has the bottle to keep a winning team, we need to realise the 11 best individuals dont always make the best team. Heskey might not be a good finisher but he works the flanks and seems to bring the best out of other players. Gerrard is ten times the player Lampard is and needs to be given the freedom to dictate the play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well he cried off playing for the U21s
    Good lad

ReputationRep:
    He didnt play because his season started very early with Blackburn in the intototo or what ever its called, and if he went with the U21's then he would of had like 2 weeks off and he wanted a holiday

ReputationRep:
    Blackburn had another early Intertoto start to the season. I bet he doesn't reject a Euro 2008 call up due to fatigue :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    theres a big difference IMO between U21s that no one cares about and Euro 2008 on an International stage... i'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    He should have said he was too tired before the squad was announced. It was understandable that he was tired and didn't want to participate, but he went about it all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Would've been funny if he scored on Saturday

Would be funny if he scores against Russia

ReputationRep:
    The fickle and idiot fans would be loving him if he scored an impirtant goal like a last min winner.

I say if you are gonna hate someone then you hate them for as long as possible regardless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Good lad
    And you call people who boo him ****ing pathetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    theres a big difference IMO between U21s that no one cares about and Euro 2008 on an International stage... i'd do it.
    Oh what so you can pick and choose now. There is actually quite decent support and fanbase for our U21s. You're still representing your country, even if it's only the U21s, the biggest honour in the game

ReputationRep:
    Oh what so you can pick and choose now.
    Bentley did - so yea, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    And you call people who boo him ****ing pathetic?
    He chose his club over country, if one of the Liverpool players did that I'd be over the moon. So I'm not gonna be hypocritical and criticise Bentley for doing the same. Obviously not everyone is going to be the same so I guess I'm in no position to criticise people that booed him. But I wonder how many of those that booed him were the same ones that gave Crouch so much stick and maybe even Beckham after Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Bentley did - so yea, pretty much.
    Doesnt make it acceptable or right

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt make it acceptable or right
    There is no right or wrong answer Economist. Although many feel that the biggest honour a footballer can have is the chance to play for his country, first and foremost a player is owned by his club, therefore should remain loyal to his club. Not saying that he shouldn't stay loyal to country, but if he regards club football > U21 championships then that's his choice and he shouldn't be villified for it.

Bentley knew what an honour it would be to represent his country (even if it was at U21 level) but if he chose to opt out then a big fuss should not be made of it in any case. It's all down to choice, and the players should not be expected to be puppets; they should have a say in the matter.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.