Oxford graduate students 2008/2009 Watch

dubistokay
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by GraveMentor)
I would certainly be curious as to why you are loath to joining Wolfson?
The college's "modern" architecture and the perceived distance from town seem to be the most common reasons I keep hearing. I can't see why these reasons alone would drive you away.
I spent the past two years at universities in "remote locations". They made up for it by providing excellent accommodation and a bus stop within walking distance that would take me to London. This is apparently not the case with Wolfson. I'm sure the college is fun and not that bad, though But it definitely seems less convenient.
dubistokay
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Universeman)
Dubistokay, whom did you call to tell that you didn't want Wolfson?
I called the person who wrote/sent me the university admission letter. I think she's purely reponsible for administration, though, and I have no idea on how to contact the actual admissions office
dubistokay
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
Also, specific colleges may have particular scholarships or awards attached to them (eg, even though Lincoln rejected my college mother's application on the grounds they were "full", she then got a scholarship that's only tenable at Lincoln, so they're going to have to take her now anyway!)
So it is possible to find out the reason for the rejection? They didn't even notify me by email (to be fair, they never told me they would lol). I found out from Graduate Admissions on my own initiative.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dubistokay)
So it is possible to find out the reason for the rejection? They didn't even notify me by email (to be fair, they never told me they would lol). I found out from Graduate Admissions on my own initiative.
Which is how she found out. She got her initial place and funding from the department, was told her first choices were already full, and asked by the admissions department to choose two more, or they could just allocate her (I think this is pretty unusual, but as she's currently in Oxford, they knew she'd respond in the two days they asked her to re-choose in).

Graduate admissions aren't really like undergraduate, I don't think you should feel in any way offended by being turned down for your college choices. I've known friends turned down by their undergrad colleges for post-grad - like oriel_historian - because the college didn't have space, not because they didn't like them.
GraveMentor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I spent the past two years at universities in "remote locations". They made up for it by providing excellent accommodation and a bus stop within walking distance that would take me to London. This is apparently not the case with Wolfson. I'm sure the college is fun and not that bad, though But it definitely seems less convenient.
I think there is a lot of wisdom in thinking about convenience in your college choice - I just wish I could see it in your reasoning for turning down Wolfson

You may be interested to know that although my first choice college was Wolfson, it was originally Oriel. For me at least, I understand from the college admissions people that there was going to be space and a reasonable chance of getting college accommodation. Nevertheless, I asked the department to switch my college preference to Wolfson at the last minute, as I was suddenly filled with dread about spending my days living in one side of Oxford, having to commute to the other side to reach my department and then periodically having to go into the centre of town to get to college for lunch, check my mail, use the MCR, etc.
Of course, most places in Oxford are within easy cycling distance from each other, but I was used to walking to work before coming up, so I didn't want to give up the freedom of not having to rely on a bike or public transport.

The idea of living in college and using the college's facilities, while still being a short walk from my department was definitely a swing factor in my college choice. I'm quite surprised it doesn't feature more prominently in other people's choices as well.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh for God's sake, get a grip.:rolleyes: You applied first and foremost to a department and they gave you an offer - that's what matters. You should be happy, yet here you are, moping like a spoilt child who's been told his favourite flavour of ice-cream is sold out, just because you were "rejected" by your favoured colleges. It's a bit ridiculous, really.
dubistokay
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by GraveMentor)
I think there is a lot of wisdom in thinking about convenience in your college choice - I just wish I could see it in your reasoning for turning down Wolfson

You may be interested to know that although my first choice college was Wolfson, it was originally Oriel. For me at least, I understand from the college admissions people that there was going to be space and a reasonable chance of getting college accommodation. Nevertheless, I asked the department to switch my college preference to Wolfson at the last minute, as I was suddenly filled with dread about spending my days living in one side of Oxford, having to commute to the other side to reach my department and then periodically having to go into the centre of town to get to college for lunch, check my mail, use the MCR, etc.
Of course, most places in Oxford are within easy cycling distance from each other, but I was used to walking to work before coming up, so I didn't want to give up the freedom of not having to rely on a bike or public transport.

The idea of living in college and using the college's facilities, while still being a short walk from my department was definitely a swing factor in my college choice. I'm quite surprised it doesn't feature more prominently in other people's choices as well.
Thanks for the insight. I think my department will be based in St. Antony's, which is not too far away. As I mentioned earlier, my approach to choosing a college is not very academic. This is going to be my second Masters and I highly doubt I'll stay for a PhD. I will have to go to London very frequently for job interviews. And for other reasons, too. I want to be able to get off the Oxford Tube in the middle of the night and walk to my accommodation. I want to be in the city centre and experience the college life - something I hadn't been able to do during my year at Brookes on the outskirts of Oxford. I'd be willing to live in a rather remote location if I got to live in a nice apartment as a tradeoff, which is obviously not the case with Wolfson These are my shallow reasons.

Btw, could you fill me in if there's a gym at Wolfson?
dubistokay
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Oh for God's sake, get a grip.:rolleyes: You applied first and foremost to a department and they gave you an offer - that's what matters. You should be happy, yet here you are, moping like a spoilt child who's been told his favourite flavour of ice-cream is sold out, just because you were "rejected" by your favoured colleges. It's a bit ridiculous, really.
Don't hate, appreciate. Everybody has different preferences and priorities. There are quite a few people in Oxford who only applied just to be *at Oxford*. It's their choice. If Oxford thinks they are good material and enthusiastic enough about their subject, why not? Same with people like me who want to make their stay as convenient as possible. I'm not moping because of the "rejections" but rather seeking a way to turn things around and get the college I want because the system seems flexible enough. I can't help but feel that if I knew someone at admissions personally, a call would be enough.
GraveMentor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Btw, could you fill me in if there's a gym at Wolfson?
There is
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't hate, appreciate. Everybody has different preferences and priorities. There are quite a few people in Oxford who only applied just to be *at Oxford*. It's their choice. If Oxford thinks they are good material and enthusiastic enough about their subject, why not? Same with people like me who want to make their stay as convenient as possible. I'm not moping because of the "rejections" but rather seeking a way to turn things around and get the college I want because the system seems flexible enough. I can't help but feel that if I knew someone at admissions personally, a call would be enough.
I don't hate you, you just annoy the hell out of me. Nothing personal.
Universeman
Report 11 years ago
Look, I understand the point of view that states yes, you've gotten into Oxford, be happy with whatever comes next, regardless of where you happen to stay. However, on the other side, I would like to point out that since I'm paying many thousands of dollars, and I have to live there for at least three years, I'd like to be placed somewhere that appeals to me. With all due respect, one of the added draws in applying to Oxford is, besides the future opportunities for research, is the history and architecture of the place. Wolfson, to me, looks just the same as the majority of buildings around here, and frankly, does not appeal. If this makes me sound spoiled, well, then there isn't much I can do about that.
GraveMentor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Look, I understand the point of view that states yes, you've gotten into Oxford, be happy with whatever comes next, regardless of where you happen to stay. However, on the other side, I would like to point out that since I'm paying many thousands of dollars, and I have to live there for at least three years, I'd like to be placed somewhere that appeals to me. With all due respect, one of the added draws in applying to Oxford is, besides the future opportunities for research, is the history and architecture of the place. Wolfson, to me, looks just the same as the majority of buildings around here, and frankly, does not appeal. If this makes me sound spoiled, well, then there isn't much I can do about that.
College biases aside, you *will* be happy irrespective of where you end up. If the college you are assigned to is not to your aesthetic tastes, flashing your Bod card will gain you entrance to any other college, thereby allowing you to get your fix of "historic architecture". I suspect that after visiting your first few colleges and enduring the tourist scrum that is the centre of Oxford, the novelty will wear off soon enough.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is a simple solution: make friends at other colleges. Get them to take you to their Hall, their bar, their bops, their MCR/GCR. I take my postdoc friend at Wolfson to Wadham things, I have a friend who takes me to Jesus GCR, we do formal swaps every term - you can get the good bits of the old/traditional colleges without paying their rent/putting up with a floor the slopes and woodlice in the showers.
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm in for a DPhil in History, at (hopefully) either Balliol or Trinity, but I haven't heard from either yet. I'm also international, coming from Canada to the UK.
did you know that Margaret MacMillan is at Oxford..? she would be an amazing Prof to have as a supervisor for a DPhil...she's at St Anthony's college.
Also, there's tons of Queen's students at Wolfson...
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey, to be fair I'm still pissed off about being at St Cross, although to be fair I like StX more than Wolfson so meh. I applied to Univ; in retrospect I should have applied to one of the middling sized ones, eg Jesus! But still, I have a great room/house in Norham Gardens and StX does excellent lunches (best college lunch in Oxford I'm told), so it's not all bad.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My other college mother just got a funded DPhil place
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by edders)
Bet she's an Oxbridge grad :rolleyes:
Well, how else could she be her college mother?
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My other college mother just got a funded DPhil place
Woo, good for her!! What subject's she going for?
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Woo, good for her!! What subject's she going for?

It's something to do with looking at Y chromosome frequencies to track 'Out of Africa' ancient population movements. I think. I'm quite jealous, it's something I'd like to study.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

It's something to do with looking at Y chromosome frequencies to track 'Out of Africa' ancient population movements. I think. I'm quite jealous, it's something I'd like to study.
That is really interesting. I'm not a biologist but even I can see that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads