Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure. It doesnt say, all it says is that 47 will get you 80% UMS. (80% of 90 is 72 UMS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    Hmm nah I don't think that's all that likely, last came up in Jan 07 (so not that long ago) & Jan 08 was from the same subtopic, and my, erm, thorough analysis of past questions tells me that they never put the same subtopic back to back. (Apart from once but I'm going to ignore that for now as it wasn't in the relationships topic.)

Well, it better not anyway, as I haven't focused on that, I've been focusing on 3/6 bits for each unit. Bah. Ah well.
    What topics came up back to back? I've looked at past papers since 2002 and didn't notice that.. ah ignore me, you said it wasn't in the relationships topic, duuuuh lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amywalters)
    What topics came up back to back? I've looked at past papers since 2002 and didn't notice that..
    one in my topics did errrr i think it was comparative determinace of non-human animal behaviour.. question 13.. in jun 06, thye asked about social learning then in jan 07 they asked about intellegence which are the same topic..

but its pretty unlikely

ReputationRep:
    What topics came up back to back? I've looked at past papers since 2002 and didn't notice that..
    It wasn't in relationships, but in determinants for animal behaviour they once had two questions from the same subtopic (one on social learning and one on intelligence) back to back. But that was the only time I think.

But no, I've never seen the same question back to back.

Edit. Okay, beaten to it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get you.. so what is the maximum percentage or mark on the paper we need to get to get maximum UMS? Because just because 47 is an A, doesn't mean that is maximum UMS.. anyone know?
    yeh, because now everyone is gonna think that gettin an A is gonna be easy, but if the actual UMS points system doesn't come down for psychology (ie, 400 points instead of 420 points for a B overall), then you could still get your A in psychology PYWhatever, but that A may only be worth the points value of a B

ReputationRep:
    Is no-one in this thread doing social cognition? :| lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon###)
    yeh, because now everyone is gonna think that gettin an A is gonna be easy, but if the actual UMS points system doesn't come down for psychology (ie, 400 points instead of 420 points for a B overall), then you could still get your A in psychology PYWhatever, but that A may only be worth the points value of a B
    Well the points will never change, just because PYA4 is worth less than PYA5, and that would mean that everyones UMS points for all the years that exams have been running would change. They are fixed across the whole board of exams.

ReputationRep:
    Wooooah...just read a few posts on the last page (just skimmed them as I'm meant to be revising so can't really have a detailed read)...but are you lot saying that the grade boundary for an A is like 47/75???

Because I only need a C!! What's the grade boundary for a D? Not that I want a D, but I'm pretty worried about this exam, to say the least!

And what is this based on? Last years grade boundary? Is it always this low?

I don't know why I'm so suprised though - with so many topics to learn it's probably quite easy for people to fail on raw marks, and as the grade boundaries are based on the average marks they're bound to be low.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/A...CEXWPSYA12.PDFMy god.. check out the new PYA1/2 lol- takes the piss!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon###)
    Your wrong. You have to realise an A = 80% of UMS for that exam regardless. B = 70% of UMS. etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've got to the point where it's all going in one ear and out the other (even though i'm reading my notes not listening to them lol....i'm sure you get what i mean) haha!
    i guess all we can all do is hope that this total git of an exam will praise down on us questions on the things we have actually revised (i havent even done half of mine) and hope the examiners are high while they mark the papers and are kind :-)
    Saying that i intend to be up till about 1am revising and ti be in my coll by half 7 to revise before i go in!!
    Good luck all!!!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/A...CEXWPSYA12.PDFMy god.. check out the new PYA1/2 lol- takes the piss!!
    What a joke.
    Psychology's already not respected as it is, that's hardly improving the situation.

They should cut down on the masses of content, go more in-depth on a few topics and encourage more complex evaluation skills rather than just the same basic "pros/cons + research support" that we do at the moment.

It's all so wrong ;no;.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell!! They're right A Levels are getting easier!! Jesus I wonder what PYA4 is like - learn 1 topic and then we'll ask you multiple choice questions...you can circle two if you're not sure :rolleyes:

I can't believe people are going to be working at that level compared to the level we have been working at. I've done well in all my psy exams so far, but there's been so much pressure with a lot of material to learn and the ridiculous time limit...damn I wish I was a couple of years younger!

ReputationRep:
    thats terrible, my 11 year old godsister could answer that with her eyes closed - they really will be turning psychology into a mickey mouse subject (which for the time being it is definitely NOT!)

ReputationRep:
    What a joke.
    Psychology's already not respected as it is, that's hardly improving the situation.

They should cut down on the masses of content, go more in-depth on a few topics and encourage more complex evaluation skills rather than just the same basic "pros/cons + research support" that we do at the moment.

It's all so wrong ;no;.
    and just beofre i go revise myslef to death just have to comment on what i've just saw....that new examplar paper!
    Thats such a dramatic change what lucky things next years candidates are!!!
    GRRRRRRR! thats so unfair!!!
    and heres all us stressing, them lot will probably not bother revising!!!

ReputationRep:
    Psychology's not very respected at the moment because it doesn't require much skill.. we're all just learning stuff off by heart, ready to regurgitate in the exam like a maniac for 30 mins without any complex analysis of the material required.
    So to make up for that, they give us LOADS of content to learn instead.

ARGH.

SO BACKWARDS.
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i know i keep saying im going to go....and this time i am lol...but had to add....aren't they able to achieve A*s on top of these con easy papers they get to sit???

ReputationRep:
    Psychology's not very respected at the moment because it doesn't require much skill.. we're all just learning stuff off by heart, ready to regurgitate in the exam like a maniac for 30 mins without any complex analysis of the material required.
    So to make up for that, they give us LOADS of content to learn instead.

ARGH.

SO BACKWARDS.
    :mad:
    I have to agree as my speciality is the exact opposite. My understanding of psychology could surpass most peoples, I just can't remember the studies to save my life. I wish they had more applied questions like the appproaches question in PYA5. Easily get full marks on that part of the exam =).

ReputationRep:
    Endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers only exist in circadian rhythms I believe.. correct me if i'm wrong though anyone lol.
    And Infradian I hope. In Infradian, internal is Hormones (Progesterone & Oestragen) and in external it is light again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammers_Gal)
    And Infradian I hope. In Infradian, internal is Hormones (Progesterone & Oestragen) and in external it is light again?
    In my A2 dog book, just says that biological clock is a way of controlling 24 hour rhythms... so who knows lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.