UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
couldn't you always rearrange it if you don't feel comfortable taking it at this time?
The thought has crossed my mind on many occasions this past week but I'm already behind with my personal statement so really it's just a matter of getting things out of the way as soon as possible. To be honest, I'd rather wait and sit it after results day because results day is an obstacle itself but that would leave me barely three weeks to get my personal statement sorted before I go back to school. I've had to start my personal statement three times already and I'm back to the start again. I'm just not happy with anything I write.

What will be will be. There's only so much practice and preparation I can do and I'm really going to solely focus on it in the last few days before the sitting.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
when u doin urs?
(was 10th aug originally but was then rearranged) 27th aug.
jjkkll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
(was 10th aug originally but was then rearranged) 27th aug.

your worrying nice and early, what are you using to prepare?

mine wa on the 28th but i rearanged it to the 7th
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just making use of the TSR ukcat list...gonna order the ukcat book as people say its useful...and maybe look into my library for any IQ test books (which are apparently a little bit useful). leaving the ukcat official website questions for the last 2 days.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to ask this, but I was wondering if someone could share the best free online UCKAT resources with me, as I cannot seem to find it myself in TSR.

Thank you!
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
You have to scroll down on some, about 50% I would say. It's rather annoying.
Thanks for letting me know.

All finished now!! Phew!
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
The thought has crossed my mind on many occasions this past week but I'm already behind with my personal statement so really it's just a matter of getting things out of the way as soon as possible. To be honest, I'd rather wait and sit it after results day because results day is an obstacle itself but that would leave me barely three weeks to get my personal statement sorted before I go back to school. I've had to start my personal statement three times already and I'm back to the start again. I'm just not happy with anything I write.

What will be will be. There's only so much practice and preparation I can do and I'm really going to solely focus on it in the last few days before the sitting.
you guys are being so intesnse about it all. starting to worry me

na, but seriously guys, i know getting into med school is a big deal and to be taken seriously but revisin and worryin this much about a test that supoosedly you can't even prepare for is pointless. And with regards to the personal statement, yes it is good to perfect it, but 3 weeks solidly doing it is o.t.t. enjoy summer guys! enjoy it b4 all the pressure and stuff actually starts next year.....

sorry...that all sounded a bit teacher like and such, but i just read an article in the paper about the intenseness of doctors and their personality type leading them to stress/alcohol/suicide etc... plus i know a doctor who attempted to take his life recently...
it is worrying that the intenseness and high stress levels are already showin... chill guys!
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by * Dain Bramaged *)
you guys are being so intesnse about it all. starting to worry me

na, but seriously guys, i know getting into med school is a big deal and to be taken seriously but revisin and worryin this much about a test that supoosedly you can't even prepare for is pointless. And with regards to the personal statement, yes it is good to perfect it, but 3 weeks solidly doing it is o.t.t. enjoy summer guys! enjoy it b4 all the pressure and stuff actually starts next year.....

sorry...that all sounded a bit teacher like and such, but i just read an article in the paper about the intenseness of doctors and their personality type leading them to stress/alcohol/suicide etc... plus i know a doctor who attempted to take his life recently...
it is worrying that the intenseness and high stress levels are already showin... chill guys!

Oh i dnt plan to kill myelf anytime soon

but the personal statment is one of the most important parts of the medical application, im gonna spend a lot of time on it untill its almost perfect, not three weeks solid but 3/4 weeks over a few months seems about right for me!!
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ye, how much ya done so far? i can't really tell wat makes a good one and whats a bad one as i havn't read others so i don#'t know where to correct it. once ya put everything ya do/have done in its real hard to make it better for me mine is rather poor lol
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ye, how much ya done so far? i can't really tell wat makes a good one and whats a bad one as i havn't read others so i don#'t know where to correct it. once ya put everything ya do/have done in its real hard to make it better for me mine is rather poor lol

the most important part is how you opend and how close!!

what is your opening sentance?
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents are away on holiday for a week and I'm hosting a do this weekend. I actually feel guilty for planning something fun and it's the holidays. By the time my parents get back I'll have six days left to get pysched for the UKCAT and eight days left to results day. Scary stuff haha!

With regards to the personal statement, I'm finding it incredible hard to keep in first person and not write prose as if it was a piece of GCSE English Lit. coursework.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ha ye i knoww what ya mean with the first person thing...

erm my first sentence is something like...whilst i acknowledge the cliche, medicine is something i have wanted to do ever since i was very young....

not that exactly but tht theme...

i don't like it at all ha....
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ha ye i knoww what ya mean with the first person thing...

erm my first sentence is something like...whilst i acknowledge the cliche, medicine is something i have wanted to do ever since i was very young....

not that exactly but tht theme...

i don't like it at all ha....

mine starts like

"To achive insight and understaning into....."
mary16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Princess*)
July 11th
Im seriously considering postponing it though but im on holiday from july 22nd until results day so eeek
wat ukcat score did u gt
-42-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, the first sentance of the PS is always the hardest! I also feel as if I can't write anything else until I've done the first paragraph either!

UKCAT wise, don't worry about having too long to prepare for it guys, you can prepare for the BMAT a little more but the UKCAT is by far and away a true aptitude test (not saying it's a very good one mind!), a day or two familiarising yourself with the questions and the format should be fine.

I've got mine booked two weeks tomorrow, I just wish I could keep my score from last year though, I think it's pretty harsh that BMAT and UKCAT have to be re-taken. I mean, you only have one chance at A-levels (well in the eyes of most med schools, they don't like re-sits) so why should you have to take aptitude tests again! Oh well, I'll just get my head down and do it I guess!

Cheers,

--Dave
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What score did you get Dave? Also, where do you think you went wrong in your application - or was it just bad luck? (Hope you don't mind me asking!)

11 days left till I do it. It's August already - is it me or is time going by so quickly these days?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
What score did you get Dave? Also, where do you think you went wrong in your application - or was it just bad luck? (Hope you don't mind me asking!)

11 days left till I do it. It's August already - is it me or is time going by so quickly these days?

no time is going incredibly slow these days!!!!!!(and considering two weeks have passed me and i didnt notice i'd say its going fast aswell)

6 Days till UKCAT & 13 Days Till AS Results!! its killing me, i just want my ukcat results and as results right now.

and i really cant be asked to do the UKCAT, cant they just scan our brains???

sooooooooooo much simpler and that would be a true aptitude test
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no time is going incredibly slow these days!!!!!!(and considering two weeks have passed me and i didnt notice i'd say its going fast aswell)

6 Days till UKCAT & 13 Days Till AS Results!! its killing me, i just want my ukcat results and as results right now.

and i really cant be asked to do the UKCAT, cant they just scan our brains???

sooooooooooo much simpler and that would be a true aptitude test
hahahah i wonder what's in my brain :unsure:
rather do the aptitue test :P

18days until i start school... :O it's been 2 months already!
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hyeree)
hahahah i wonder what's in my brain :unsure:
rather do the aptitue test :P

18days until i start school... :O it's been 2 months already!

y do you start school soooooooo early? and when did you finish??
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
y do you start school soooooooo early? and when did you finish??
june 11th .. but we didnt have class from the 4th
it's like 11 weeks i think, it's a lot of time.. but seems like so little..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads