The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When i was younger i was let down by the education system and then the *******s had the cheek to say i was lucky to get such good grade's (they weren't even that great).

I got told I was dyslexic by my female head teacher at primary school. She was wrong.

I really do prefer male teachers, I can identify with them much better and they tend to be firm but fair. I like teachers to be no nonsense and give actual things that they know help rather than say exactly what is written on the syllabus. I've found a few of my female teachers to be jobsworths. As boys we tend to have mutual respect for male teachers and work harder for them than we do for their female counterparts. Of course this is just from my experience.
If there is unequal pay between the genders, this needs to be worked on. If women are not taking/being offered high paying jobs, we need to find out why and change it. We need to look at why instead of saying 'that's the way it is, men are working harder the end'. There should be equal pay and opportunities.
WithFlyingColours
. As boys we tend to have mutual respect for male teachers and work harder for them than we do for their female counterparts. Of course this is just from my experience.

Congratulations you are a misogynist.
Congratulations you are a misogynist.

How does me liking the male teachers I've had more than the female teachers I've had make me a misogynist? I like ladies as much as the next man, I just don't identify with my female teachers.
WithFlyingColours
How does me liking the male teachers I've had more than the female teachers I've had make me a misogynist? I like ladies as much as the next man, I just don't identify with my female teachers.

Because you respected female teachers less because they are female, and you don't see a problem with that.
Reply 285
Bornstubborn
I think it is clear to all logical minds that men pursue education that will lead to more profitable careers.

I dont understand? you cant compare a mans salary if hes an experienced city trader to a womans salary if shes a nurse.. and say its unfair that the nurse gets paid less.. Noone thinks that.
Reply 286
WithFlyingColours
I got told I was dyslexic by my female head teacher at primary school. She was wrong.

I really do prefer male teachers, I can identify with them much better and they tend to be firm but fair. I like teachers to be no nonsense and give actual things that they know help rather than say exactly what is written on the syllabus. I've found a few of my female teachers to be jobsworths. As boys we tend to have mutual respect for male teachers and work harder for them than we do for their female counterparts. Of course this is just from my experience.

You are most definetly right, since i have become a uni student i have come top of my class. Yet as a boy i was not a good student simply because of poor teachers and a poor method of teaching which is partly due to the female bias and the amount of female teachers. The female teachers also have an inability to discipline boys, they just give up. I know if i have any sons i will either get them into private school or atleast employ some tutors.

The female teachers definetly seem biased towards the education of the girls and help them more. I think men are smarter than women and persue the scince, engineering and mathematics based subjects. Perhaps in the future the boys will be let down so bad at the beggining of their education there will be none to go on into university and become our top scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
Reply 287
brockham
I dont understand? you cant compare a mans salary if hes an experienced city trader to a womans salary if shes a nurse.. and say its unfair that the nurse gets paid less.. Noone thinks that.

Well this article http://msn.careerbuilder.co.uk/UK/Custom/MSN/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=172&lr=int_ukmsn&SiteId=int_ukmsn_a172hp&sc_extcmp=int_ukmsn_a172&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=79904ef2cf944704ac24a9ef14442f14-268747334-wj-6

has no problem comparing the salaries of all men to the salaries of all women regardless of their jobs.
Reply 288
as a civil engineering student, and the only girl on my course, i will graduate with a better degree than some of my male classmates, yet when it comes to getting a job i will be paid less than they will be. this is highly unfair as i have done the same course, same amount of work, yet just cause i'm female, i will be paid less.
yes i know it was choice to go into the engineering sector, but why should i be paid less for a job i've always wanter to do, just cause i'm female.
CareBear
as a civil engineering student, and the only girl on my course, i will graduate with a better degree than some of my male classmates, yet when it comes to getting a job i will be paid less than they will be. this is highly unfair as i have done the same course, same amount of work, yet just cause i'm female, i will be paid less.
yes i know it was choice to go into the engineering sector, but why should i be paid less for a job i've always wanter to do, just cause i'm female.

Will you really be paid less? For definite?
meh its simple economics isnt it? women could get preggers so they get paid less, its unfair, but at the end of the day they do have wombs. look at the girly off the apprentice, shes on 100k a year maternity leave. bet alan sugar feels stoopid now :biggrin:.

they should have equal oppotunities, but at the same time preganacy is an issue. If they decide they dont want to have kids they should get a no preganacy claus in their contract or something. that way they could earn equal money :biggrin:.

thing about teaching though, im not sure how much effect having female teachers rather than men has upon lads, though funnily enough my favourite teachers were also blokes :s-smilie: funny i had never noticed that before...
Reply 291
Well carebear looking at engineering it appears that like for like women actually earn more than men. So don't worry in this case prejudice favours you, as it perhaps will for most jobs in the future.

Because you respected female teachers less because they are female, and you don't see a problem with that.

I said mutual respect. I also mentioned that I've had a female language teacher who I respected highly. So no, not because they are female, but because I can't identify with them generally. I dont go into a lesson and think "Oh god shes a Mrs, I don't like her".
Reply 293
I think you have failed to realise that it is common for women to get paid less for doing exactly the same job.
I'd also like to point out that it is perfectly possible for a women do not have to choose between children and a career. My mum took only a few weeks maternity leave, as my dad was the one who did most of the childcare and housework. I think the problem is that it is socially acceptable now for women to do traditionally 'male' jobs, but not for men to fulfil traditionally 'female' roles. (OP: You do not need nine months maternity leave. It is perfectly possible to go into work while pregnant. Most women do.)
ffrann
I think you have failed to realise that it is common for women to get paid less for doing exactly the same job.
I'd also like to point out that it is perfectly possible for a women do not have to choose between children and a career. My mum took only a few weeks maternity leave, as my dad was the one who did most of the childcare and housework. I think the problem is that it is socially acceptable now for women to do traditionally 'male' jobs, but not for men to fulfil traditionally 'female' roles. (OP: You do not need nine months maternity leave. It is perfectly possible to go into work while pregnant. Most women do.)

true but at the same time they spend more time off after the preganacy and there is the lowered level of productivity attached to thinking about the child, taking them to the doctors etc.

as much as in a perfect world it would be good for men and women to care for the kid equally i think in practice i can pretty much accept women are better at it than blokes (which is also reflected in divorce courts). :biggrin:
I have to admit, SOME female teachers can be weak. The ones who get upset and cry.

However, some of the best teachers in my school were females - for males too. They could be hard enough on punishment. And one was in control of everyone, but never gave out punishment - it was weird, everyone just behaved for her, and she's only in her 20s.

But, I've had some pretty ****e male teachers.

Bornstubborn
I think men are smarter than women and persue the scince, engineering and mathematics based subjects.

But men are not necessarily smarter than women! That's just stupid and pretty bloody sexist. Men MAY be better at, or may prefer doing science-based subjects in general, but that doesn't make them smarter.

I wouldn't worry, you won't get paid less unless you actually get a worse paid job than your male counterparts. Simple as that! You can't say that because you're a female you'll get paid less than all the males on your course. That's the sort of attitude that the pay gap fallacy has produced. If, for example, you get onto a graduate scheme at somewhere like BAE systems, you will get paid the same if you're male or female. I can't think of anywhere where there are different pay scales for males and females. These things have just come up because of the differences in MOST womens' jobs and MOST mens' jobs. Seeing as you're not in the majority being a female engineer, you are not likely to conform to the average pay.
WithFlyingColours
I said mutual respect. I also mentioned that I've had a female language teacher who I respected highly. So no, not because they are female, but because I can't identify with them generally. I dont go into a lesson and think "Oh god shes a Mrs, I don't like her".

Okay. That's not the way it sounded in your previous comment.
curiouslyorange1989
at the end of the day they do have wombs.

The whole idea is that women should not be disadvantaged because they have wombs.
pay should reflect quality of work and work done etc - if women do as much as men - fair enough

in the public sector - pay is the same across the board and does not account for better quality of work

however in private sector - pay reflects quality of work so often men get paid more (generally) - yet there are some women who get paid more than men

Latest

Trending

Trending