Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I suppose many are going to vote for her and McCain because she goes in line with many of the old American traditions. (Except for her kids' names. Ugh.)

Personally, I couldnt see how anyone could vote for her, her policies sicken me.

ReputationRep:
    I like the way there is only 9. What a stupid number, cant people think of 10?

She also named one of her kids after the family aeroplane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuseValheru)
    I like the way there is only 9. What a stupid number, cant people think of 10?
    What superiority does 10 have as a number to 9 or 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_with_horns)
    Yes, yes she is. Because when they ask her about the conflict between Israel and Palestine, she is going to say "All I know is them Jews killed Jesus." and cross herself.
    You obviously don't the first thing about the republican party or US politics. The republican party and the Christian right are overwhelmingly in support of Israel in the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what outsourcing is or what it has meant under the Bush adminastration you're even less educated on the issues than I thought
    If I'm 'not educated', pray do tell, what outsourcing did Bush's admin do that privatised government, and how is this relevant to any future President, be they GoP or Democrat?

No, it means in the future he will act as he would have in the past and not destabalise the world by invasion-first policy
    Some a preemptive bombing campaign of Pakistan counts as debate does it?

He plans to pay for it using government funds :/ if you're about to agonise about debt maybe you should take a look at the figures for just how much Bush increased the national debt, mostly by spending it on Iraq.
    Why do you keep referring to Bush? Any President is judged on the policies they introduce. You do know that the USA has a massive budget deficit and you're arguing that Obama is going to use government funds, coupled with MASSIVE tax breaks to plough money in to the public sector? That is really, really crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    What superiority does 10 have as a number to 9 or 11?
    Well usually its a "Top 10" not the "Top 9".

Who wants to break into the "Top 9" pop singles released this week, its always " A Top 10 hit".

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to break into Sarah Palin's top ten. :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    6. Sarah Palin believes creationism should be taught in schools.
    :mad: oh for the love of GOD! ( irony)

ReputationRep:
    I laughed at number 8 because there's nothing wrong with liking oil, it's about the most important natural resource on the planet at the moment and as for nuclear power you're talking about clean, safe (with correct regulation) energy in plenty over the middle term. It looks like they looked at what Palin believes in and opposed it merely because she supports it. For all it's rhetoric that article isn't a particularly strong criticism of her once you strip away the bile.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Palin fan by any stretch of the imagination and I lament the fact that in the biggest nation with arguably the best universities in the world a creationist can reach high office but that article is a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    He is going to lower taxes for 95% of Americans, and hike up the taxes on corporations. Seems fair enough to me.
    fair enough to you...
    He wants to break the American Dream... that anyone has a chance (with hard work and luck) to become really wealthy... insane taxes to corporation take away the drive to work hard, because the government will just take the money...

ReputationRep:
    I really don't give a **** what any American politicion believes and it pisses me off how it's always being shoved down our throats. Every British news station you turn to is constantly reporting every detail of the American election. Do British people really care that much? Have we suddently been given right to vote in their election? Because it seems that way.

To be perfectly honest, the more I hear about the issues being raised in the election to more it makes me think America really is a socially backward nation. Female presidents and politicions are old news in a lot of countries, India has a female president, Argentina does, plenty of supossedly poor and traditional nations have female presidents, and plenty of politicions, yet America go on like it's a world first.

And I can't stand how Obama and co go struting around the world like it's a World Election or something, the arrogant, pompous twit.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, that all seemed to be slamming her with little backing. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Palin but it's hardly unbiased.

The creationism one for example implies she believes everyone should believe it when all she says is that children should be provided with different theories so they can make their choice. I think creationism is ridiculous but I'm glad I was taught it so that I could come to that conclusion rather than being taught only evolution. We need to be open minded and taught every popular belief so you can understand that not everyone believes in the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    To be fair, that all seemed to be slamming her with little backing. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Palin but it's hardly unbiased.

The creationism one for example implies she believes everyone should believe it when all she says is that children should be provided with different theories so they can make their choice. I think creationism is ridiculous but I'm glad I was taught it so that I could come to that conclusion rather than being taught only evolution. We need to be open minded and taught every popular belief so you can understand that not everyone believes in the same thing.

... even when it is a steaming pile of horse poo.

i once made a girl cry (IN SIXTH FORM!) because i shouted at her for thinking that dinosaurs are a conspiracy by a corrupt government which is a test from god. haahahaa i wasn't even sorry

ReputationRep:

I agree with most of what you say, but Palin advocates teaching evolution as a theory on the same level as creationism, which is incorrect as creationism may be theory, but evolution is fact.
    I would want my child to be taught about creationism. As long as they understood that creationism is a religious theory and evolution is scientific fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipkinlove)
    I agree with most of what you say, but Palin advocates teaching evolution as a theory on the same level as creationism, which is incorrect as creationism may be theory, but evolution is fact.
    I would want my child to be taught about creationism. As long as they understood that creationism is a religious theory and evolution is scientific fact.
    It's not even a theory, Evolution is a theory, creationism is pure fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    i suppose im just sore because i went to a catholic school and WAS taught creationism...

in RE lessons AND in science lessons.

hello? what are religious education lessons for? TO LEARN ABOUT 'OTHER' THEORIES. not science. teach it, but teach it with the same stories like 'the world is on the back of a tortoise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipkinlove)
    Well I think scientists would be reluctant to use the word "Fact". I agree that evolution should be taught but it is really just a theory (with a startling amount of support).

I do agree with you, just think using words like 'fact' to children will not give them a choice, it'll tell them what to believe when in reality no theory is 100% proven.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it, and I don't even agree with most of them:

1. Despite problems at home, Sarah Palin does not believe in giving teenagers information about sex.

Translation: Palin supports the teaching of abstinence instead of subsidising condoms.

So do billions of catholics, many of them in this country. This is a partisan issue, not objectively 'disturbing'.

2. Sarah Palin believes the U.S. Army is on a mission from God.

Translation: "In June, Palin gave a speech at the Wasilla Assembly of God, her former church, in which she exhorted ministry students to pray for American soldiers in Iraq. "Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she told them. "

Wouldn't many Christians who believe the Iraq War is a good idea believe that it is godly? This is one of the more bizarre criticisms of the republicans in general - do you get a shiver down your spine when you read King George VI's WWII speeches citing providence being with Britain against the Nazis? Presumably not. Similarly, the anti-slavery campaigners believed they were on a mission from god. All you're saying is you don't personally believe the Iraq War is moral and shouldn't be associated with christianity as other causes have been. Again, that's a deeply partisan position, not something objectively 'disturbing'.

"3. Sarah Palin believes in punishing rape victims."

Translation: Palin doesnt support abortions for rape victims.

If you accept that the fetus has a right to life, this follows logically. Again, all you're saying is you don't agree with this partisan view, that many Britons also hold and is hardly objectively disproved.

4. Who's really not in favor of clean water? Sarah Palin.

Translation: Palin voted against a proposition (as a private citizen, she couldn't veto it) that would have closed down mines and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work.

Yet again, that's only 'distrubing' if you value higher water standards (ie. higher than the existing standards, which don't seem to have killed everyone off) over peoples' livelihoods. Again, not exactly a clear-cut issue.

5. Sarah Palin calls herself a reformer, but on earmarks and the "Bridge to Nowhere," she is a hypocrite.

This is actually a valid criticism, but 'distrubing'? Every other politician does this. Furthermore, Palin at least is telling people that she opposes it in principle, and as VP would not require pork barrel spending to ensure her position is secure with local voters.

6. Sarah Palin believes creationism should be taught in schools.

This is the only position she takes I would say comes anywhere near being 'disturbing', and even then all she said was:

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

Not an unreasonable position for someone who doesn't have a background in biology and lives in a country where respected people take ID seriously.

7. Sarah Palin supports offshore drilling everywhere, even if it doesn't solve our energy problems.

Translation: She supports ANWR drilling, but this wont reduce oil prices(?). I really have no idea what this is supposed to mean. It's as close to a 'law' as economics comes to say that increasing the supply of something (ie. oil) will decrease its price.

As such, all this article is saying is that the author believes that the ANWR nature reserve, which gets fewer than 2,000 visitors per year, is more important than reducing oil prices. That's a view of sorts, but hardly an uncontraverisal one.

8. Sarah Palin loves oil and nuclear power.

Translation: As above, but she also said she supported nuclear (and "clean coal, solar, wind, geothermal and other alternative sources" accofrding to the quote presented by the article, but it ignores those).

Again, supporting nuclear power, like opposing abortion Etc. is not some insane, far-right view. A very large number of people in Britain support nuclear power, including the government.

9. Sarah Palin doesn't think much of community activism; she'd much rather play insider political games.

Translation: Palin was mean to Obama by saying that small town Mayors were more important and responsible than community organisers.

This is scraping the barrel. Not even an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think scientists would be reluctant to use the word "Fact". I agree that evolution should be taught but it is really just a theory (with a startling amount of support).

I do agree with you, just think using words like 'fact' to children will not give them a choice, it'll tell them what to believe when in reality no theory is 100% proven.
    No the evidence is so unbelievably overwhelming that the majority of scientists who study and research evolution will call it fact. It also isn't a case of choosing what to believe, a fact is a fact. The same way I wouldn't say 'well I'm reluctant to tell this child that Hitler existed for a fact because it pushes them into a belief'. You can't tamper with fact.

I still understand what you're saying about tact and such though. People will take time to come around to it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.