Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You too, 'Jeremy'.

And I'm glad to see that Gehenna's amused by this new foe of mine's masterful wit.

ReputationRep:
    You talk complete **** and then come on here and suck up to everyone. People have been nice to you and you just throw it back in their face. Now you aren't even going to Kent! It doesn't matter how many years you defer your entry because you are determined to hate the place and the people here.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I try to be nice, and am usually very genial, however I have a tendency to lose my temper from time to time. It is this that people vilify me for, and continually dwell on. All the people who accept my little faults I am unfailingly nice to - people like jermaindefoe, cinnamon and saruken. It is those who insist I am a thoughtless 'troll' who exacerbate my frustration with things. I love Canterbury, by the way, and I don't think I could have picked a more elegant, beautiful city to study in; so too I love its people, especially those on this board, but after my disaster at the hairdressers (when my hair went from sexy emo to foul pudding basin) I feel too bad about myself to carry on, but have fallen in love with the city, region and uni experience at Kent, so am keen to return there in just under a year's time. Now stop being mean, sexjuice. I love you too.

ReputationRep:
    Well this just puts the icing on the cake.

:mad:

I'll just forget I ever existed...

:rolleyes:

So you're not going to uni because some hairdresser messed up your hair?

wtf..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [TuckingFypo])

wtf..
    Just leave it sometimes it takes something like that to really push you over the edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [TuckingFypo])

wtf..
    The word is 'deferring'.

Every time I tell people about my plans part of me inwardly utters that 'wtf' you just did, while another part of me feels I've done exactly the right thing, as when my hair's layered, gelled and streaked properly I look positively ravishing, and I know I'll love university when I get the attention for this. :yep: At the moment, however, with a limp, unbalanced, insipid, wavy cut (which is even worse after I hacked at it in an attempt to undo the damage done this butcher of a hairdresser I visited), I have no self-pride, feel insecure and am not confident about mixing with people. I don't look horrible, but I look lovely when my hair's perfect, and I want people to see this, not the bland me at this present time. It is a bit silly, though I'm not really a 'macho' boy who doesn't care about things like this.

Thanks for your support, Kitty. I'm guessing you've had your confidence shattered after a similar experience? And sorry if my rant about southerners offended you - you're obviously not the 'pretentious' type I decried, though I still insist that by and large southerners are less down to earth and shallow than northerners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    Thanks for your support, Kitty. I'm guessing you've had your confidence shattered after a similar experience? And sorry if my rant about southerners offended you - you're obviously not the 'pretentious' type I decried, though I still insist that by and large southerners are less down to earth and shallow than northerners.
    My confidence is shattered every day simply by walking outside of the door. *smiles* I have an astute fear of going outside and being seen by people, so you can imagine how difficult it is for me to do so.

Hence, everyone, why I seem drunk whenever we go out. It makes things a lot easier and means that I'm not shaking the entire time and stumbling over my words. You have no idea how hard I work to seem relatively normal to you all! :rolleyes: And that doesn't always work!

So Will, I understand that things can shake confidence easily. And that you'd rather come back when your confidence has been restored and you can truly go out feeling like you can tackle the world.

Perhaps you're right about the Southerners vs Northerners idea, but I've of course lived here all my life (though have family in Yorkshire and often visit them) so I'm quite used to "our ways".

Anyway. I hope when you come next year you'll be far happier.

ReputationRep:
    hahahah :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    My confidence is shattered every day simply by walking outside of the door. *smiles* I have an astute fear of going outside and being seen by people, so you can imagine how difficult it is for me to do so.

Hence, everyone, why I seem drunk whenever we go out. It makes things a lot easier and means that I'm not shaking the entire time and stumbling over my words. You have no idea how hard I work to seem relatively normal to you all! :rolleyes: And that doesn't always work!

So Will, I understand that things can shake confidence easily. And that you'd rather come back when your confidence has been restored and you can truly go out feeling like you can tackle the world.

Perhaps you're right about the Southerners vs Northerners idea, but I've of course lived here all my life (though have family in Yorkshire and often visit them) so I'm quite used to "our ways".

Anyway. I hope when you come next year you'll be far happier.
    I really agree and sympathise with all that you say. About feeling nervous about just going outside, at the moment that's how I feel. When out in public I get the impression that everyone's looking at me, meaning that I'm eager to be anonymous, to fade into the background. I know how horrible this feeling of unease when around people can be. It's a shame you can only avoid it by drinking. I'd do the same, though it's my appearance I want to change, not my perception of it.

Regards your third paragraph, you're exactly correct. :yep: It's not that I dislike the concept or customs of university, but rather that I'll only be able to enjoy these fully once my self-confidence is as high as it can be. For me to make the most of all that comes with the university experience, I need to happy about myself. It is my appearance that either gives or takes this happiness away.

About the south and the north, I think my assertions are generally correct, though I admit there are exceptions. Also, by 'south', I refer to places like Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire more than Kent, which I think is nowhere near as stuck up as the aforesaid places. I think it's that cockney spirit of a fair number of Kent residents that makes them more endearing than their counterparts in other counties. Are you actually from Canterbury, by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_maK)
    hahahah :rofl:
    At what?!

ReputationRep:
    This is what us Kent Uni TSR's get for having such a lively forum.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?! Me and my posts/threads?!

ReputationRep:
    How can someone from Oxfordshire claim to be from the North?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    How can someone from Oxfordshire claim to be from the North?
    I thought he just preferred the north rather than claiming her was northern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypermicrospace)
    I thought he just preferred the north rather than claiming her was northern
    Oh. Well, no wonder he's so self-loathing then.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't waded into TSR's chat for a while and this doesn't seem the best post to make a reappearance (especially seeing as the thread died a little while back...) but I've got a 10 minute wait for my housemate to get out the shower and I don't have anything else to do.

In giving a neutral response to Will (overlooking the large ****ging contest that has been thrown around across this thread) I would like to say that my second cousin also started at UKC last year doing his first year of a Philosophy course, but he got really homesick and couldn't stick it out past the first week so he went home for a year out and worked in it and is back this year starting now in the same year as me! (he's a year older than me) - Now he seems to be getting on a lot better so arguably it worked for him and can work for you too. I don't know if the real issue is wholly on your hair issue or whether you're hiding deeper confidence issues in a new environment but consider this year's attempt a taster and come back next year more prepared because my second cousin seems a lot better for it.

Just goes to show that things don't always work out in 100% of cases and maybe you'll have better luck next time.

In other news my housemate is now out of the shower so I wish you good luck in your year out and next years attempt while I wish myself good luck that there'll still be a decent baguette available down Essentials after I've had my shower...

ReputationRep:
    I wonder which hairdressers it was... ?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't revive this thread. :|

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.