The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
EducatingBrogan
Unless there are American kids crying out to learn Welsh, there's very little I can do that an American couldn't, employment wise :dry: so.... urgh. My dream is slowly being tortured and killed.

Not to stomp further, but the likelihood of anyone getting one even if they did have that skill would be unlikely anyway since the employment visas are oversubscribed and come down to a lottery, which the employer has to pay $5000+ to enter you in the first place.

Maybe a special someone in the future will be American someday, you'll never know. :o:
EducatingBrogan
My dream is slowly being tortured and killed.

That's your dream? You're a psychopath! :biggrin:

:o:
You're not the only one who really wants to live in America. I really wish I lived in New York. Hopefully, I can in the future.
Reply 283
jcb914
Yeah, 'cos Britain's doing so well itself! :rolleyes:

Well, in regards to what it used to be.
I have wanted to live in America for about 6 years but then again I've never been so I could be sooooooo wrong. Preferably New York. However I hate that there is no free healthcare and the long plane journeys I'd have to be rich just to be able to back and forth between here and the US and I have no relatives there :C
I think that everyone should spend some time abroad in a different country and culture. It gives you a whole new respect and appreciation for not only your country but also the rest of the world. If you really want to come to the States don't give up. You never know what opportunities or chances might come up. If you're a girl I'd marry you(I've always wanted to move to the UK). Also, don't get all caught up in California. It's not the richest state. Actually, mine(Maryland) is. There are other great areas of the country and some that I think you would prefer if you looked hard enough. Finally, I don't know how old you are but if you are university age, why not come here and study? Just a thought.

Oh, just remembered. Not everyone in America is a Bible-thumping, God-fearing, gun-totin' hick. I happen to be an atheist(yes we do exist in America). As long as you stay away from the South and rural areas, you should be able to avoid these types of people. Don't worry, they scare the s h i t out of me, too!
Reply 286
Pros:
- most things are cheaper than in the UK
- americans are usually very friendly (accept anyone from any race, age, background etc as part of themselves)
- the weather's good in some parts
- and i really can't think of any more to be honest...

Cons:
- the public transportation sucks or doesn't even exist (so you have to drive EVERYWHERE)
- in most towns, there are no pavements (or so i've been told) so you can't really walk much (thus, you get fat, etc etc)
- guns (very unsafe)
- the educational system is very poor compared to the UK (apart from great unis like Harvard and Stanford, of course!)

so yeahh, i personally wouldn't ever wanna move to America. i actually had the choice to go there last year, but didn't go.
i've got quite a lot of American friends who all basically hate life in america compared to life in Europe. (and they've all experienced life both in american and europe so they know...)
Sam4God
Pros:
- most things are cheaper than in the UK
- americans are usually very friendly (accept anyone from any race, age, background etc as part of themselves)
- the weather's good in some parts
- and i really can't think of any more to be honest...

Cons:
- the public transportation sucks or doesn't even exist (so you have to drive EVERYWHERE)
- in most towns, there are no pavements (or so i've been told) so you can't really walk much (thus, you get fat, etc etc)
- guns (very unsafe)
- the educational system is very poor compared to the UK (apart from great unis like Harvard and Stanford, of course!)

We definitely have pavement. In every town. Don't know who told you that. :p:

And what's the big deal with guns? The likelihood of you ever getting shot is extremely tiny. It happens, but the odds of you being murdered in America is probably not much greater than being murdered in Britain (doesn't matter if you're shot or otherwise). Plus, the odds of you being murdered decrease even further as long as you stay out of sketchy areas.

And where'd you get the idea that we have a poor education system? :eyeball:

i've got quite a lot of American friends who all basically hate life in america compared to life in Europe. (and they've all experienced life both in american and europe so they know...)

Everyone likes living in foreign countries more than their own. :p:

Also, there's no way your friends can speak for the entire country in terms of quality of life. You'd have to have lived in like 500 different places to make an accurate sample of that.
Reply 288
George Dubya doesn't prescribe the whole picture of the U.S. education system:o:
Also, even if our pre-university education is crap(which it isn't), the USA still has the best collection of univerisities in the world. There is no arguing this point. It is fact.
Reply 290
I'm not going to be thinking of moving out there until I've finished Uni anyway, so the education system won't matter to be so much unless I do set up home there and eventually end up having kids (good grief)

I never realised how difficult it would be to get the legal permission to live there though! :unsure:
You need to watch Borat.
StotheL
Well, in regards to what it used to be.

I assume you just said that without looking at statistics or having any understanding of economics.
Just found this thread from quite a while ago. I also want to live in America when i'm older :yes:

Pros:

Nfl
Mountain Dew. :yes:
The houses in some places are awesome.

Those are 3 important ones for me... :wink:
Looking at your pros, I think you're being a "bit" naive.
Reply 295
Some people here seem to be picking on the american's as people... surely the reason to move to America is to be in America? :s Why are people so judgemental!

If i was going to america, i'd go for the scenery and the weather! You've got a range, from busy cities, New York for example to utter wilderness, such as Alaska! Go because you want to and dont make decisions based on other peoples judgemental views...

Hope you come to the right decision for you,
I think you should also study abroad first to see if you like the country and during your time here, travel to different states in the US. You don't need to avoid the South - it's quite safe and I would actually implore you to visit the South:

South Atlantic Division:
Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

East South Central Division:
Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi

West South Central Division:
Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas

And, remember if you visit McDonald's everyday, only you are to blame

Latest

Trending

Trending