Coca Cola (Sweet & Sticky)
    30.11%
    Pepsi (Cool & Crisp)
    36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    That's why it's actually quite difficult - either the questions are designed to trip you up or send you down a very long maths rabbit hole.

E.g. Try 16 (*without* looking at the answer). How would you tackle it?
    Q16 seems to be fairly straightforward, though I'm undoubtebly oversimplifying it.

Adding gives 4x+4y+4z=3000
    x+y+z=750, so mean =250.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :sigh:
    You got it too, don't sigh!

I'm truly honoured to be in your sig. :p:

ReputationRep:
    16. The numbers x, y and z satisfy the equations
    x + y + 2z = 850, x + 2y + z = 950, 2x + y + z = 1200.
    What is their mean?
    A 250 B C 750 D 1000 E More information is needed.

It's finding mean, so I would treat the equations like I would numbers and add them all divide by the number.

x+x+2x, y+2y+y, 2z+z+z = 4x+4y+4z = 3000. Take out the common, "4"

= 4( x + y + z ) 3000. Bring the 4 over to divide giving me 750.

x + y + z = 750 and from there tbh, I would have ticked 750 even though the answer is 250 :o: I would have forgot to divide by 3 since there are 3 equations.
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Q16 seems to be fairly straightforward, though I'm undoubtebly oversimplifying it.

Adding gives 4x+4y+4x=3000
    x+y+z=750, so mean =250.
    Well done! Both of you used the "correct" and quick method.

I did the wrong way actually when I sat this paper - I used GE on the set of equations and found x, y and z then found the mean :o: :o: :o:

Still got a gold in the end, but only just

ReputationRep:
    Well done! Both of you used the "correct" and quick method.

I did the wrong way actually when I sat this paper - I used GE on the set of equations and found x, y and z then found the mean :o: :o: :o:

Still got a gold in the end, but only just
    Normally I would do something like that, only reason I didn't is because I dislike Gaussian elimination so i looked harder for the 'trick'.

For the Junior and Intermediate challenges I only got Bronze. Shame I don't think we're doing it this year, think I could get at least silver.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I initially thought then I went :ninja: and remembered you only need GCSE/Standard Grade maths in order to sit the SMC.

Trying to trick me, damn you Maths!
    Some people in my school (who were in the AH class incidentally) *actually* did Q1 by multiplying out 2008 twice :facepalm2:

My favourite questions were 12, 13, 15 and 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    No. All SQA markers are 73 y.o. eunuchs raised inside a veiled society that refuses to acknowledge the existence of the very students whose papers they mark. Few know of them, but those who do speak of them only in hushed tones. Their presence alone is enough to make the lights dim, the air hum, and conversation lull.
    Who told you this? Have you been sneaking around the old barn out back? Dang, we'll have to move the Marking Centre again, that's the third time in 149 years. The eunuchs don't like change.

SAM

(If not all the markers are eunuchs, and not all the markers are 73yo, and none are both, and all are neither except maybe a few, what's the average sense per word of this message?)

ReputationRep:
    Some people in my school (who were in the AH class incidentally) *actually* did Q1 by multiplying out 2008 twice :facepalm2:

My favourite questions were 12, 13, 15 and 17
    Any hints for 13? I can only rule out A and E based on common sense. I suppose I could just number crunch but I don't really feel much like that.:p:

Edit: Duh, I can't rule out A.

ReputationRep:
    Any hints for 13? I can only rule out A and E based on common sense. I suppose I could just number crunch but I don't really feel much like that.:p:
    I'll just give you a little push in the right direction (how I did it anyway): :ninja:
    \\2^m+2^n=1280\\2^{m-1}+2^{n-1}=640

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a go at them.

PS. Are you allowed a calculator in the challenge? EDIT: No, you're not.
    9 was fun and so was 18. I got the right answer for 18 but I didn't think it was the easiest method.

EDIT: Had a look at the answer sheet, it wasn't :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)
    Who told you this? Have you been sneaking around the old barn out back? Dang, we'll have to move the Marking Centre again, that's the third time in 149 years. The eunuchs don't like change.

SAM

(If not all the markers are eunuchs, and not all the markers are 73yo, and none are both, and all are neither except maybe a few, what's the average sense per word of this message?)
    Sam's back! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'll just give you a little push in the right direction (how I did it anyway): :ninja:
    \\2^m+2^n=1280\\2^{m-1}+2^{n-1}=640
    Ah, ingenious!

Answer =18?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ingenious!

Answer =18?
    Yep. :p: The official answer required you to know that 1280 = 5 * 2^8, which at the heat of the moment in the exam is not exactly very reliable. I think my way's better

ReputationRep:
    Yep. :p: The official answer required you to know that 1280 = 5 * 2^8, which at the heat of the moment in the exam is not exactly very reliable. I think my way's better
    Definitley. Must admit that I'd never have worked that out.

ReputationRep:
    9 and 18?

9. What is the remainder when the 2008-digit number 222 ... 22 is divided by 9?

:facepalm2:

God, I hope questions aren't like this. :sigh:
    Lol lol lol that was one of the easiest questions I thought I got it in 2 seconds whilst my classmates were doing hideous long divisions. Although I did have an extra bit of information that helped :p:

25. What is the area of the polygon formed by all points in the plane satisfying
    the inequality ?
    (x, y)
    ||x| − 2| + ||y| − 2| ≤ 4
    A 24 B 32 C 64 D 96 E 112
    25 is the hardest question in the paper, so I'll leave you to it.

If you get almost all of the inner two pages right and 1 or 2 of the outer page then you'd get a gold - that's how I did last year.

ReputationRep:
    Please share :sad:

You need to get 75 for a gold, 25 start off with. 50 marks/4 = 12.5 questions.

I need to get 13 questions (And allow for 2 mistakes) out of 25 right to get Gold if the boundaries for marks are roughly the same this year.
    The remainder of a number divided by 9 is the same as the digital root of that number.

222..222 mod 9 = (2*2008) mod 9 = (4016) mod 9 = (4+6+1) mod 9 = 11 mod 9 = 2

Now this is a different way from the official answer but I say mine is better again, if you had the prior knowledge

EDIT: Wait, they are the same essentially.

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome. Hidden methods FTW :ninja:

Clever.

PS. Got a PM from SimonM :ninja:
    Ooooh :adore:

What's it about, if you are willing to share? :p:

ReputationRep:
    They are?

I had a look, your explanation > their explanation.
    Yes, both solutions used the same number property so it's essentially the same.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. So much respect, it's like talking to God. :awesome:

Tips for tomorrow. :p:
    I would suggest you take them onboard. Like now. Or even write them down and bring them in with you.

ReputationRep:

What crazy calculations have you seen him do to warrant such followers?
    Alas! I fear for your sanity if you glimpse at them :p:

Let's just say about a year ago (when I was actually interested somewhat in the Maths board) uni students were actually asking *him* for help.

He's just extremely well-read in maths, which is why he's just so knowledgeable. Oh and I guess being a genius does help.

Again :adore:

ReputationRep:

What crazy calculations have you seen him do to warrant such followers?
    Mind passing them on to me? :ninja:

(Just in case we are doing it, and partly because I'm interested)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.