The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Anti-Hero
Which societies are top of people's "To Join" list?

I'm thinking LGBT, trampolining, some sort of martial art and a vegetarian/vegan group (if there is one?)
Reply 2981
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm thinking LGBT, trampolining, some sort of martial art and a vegetarian/vegan group (if there is one?)

See you at the LGBTSoc though. :awesome:
Reply 2982
Original post by dbmag9

I have a crazy conservative friend who's a member, he's promised to bring me along to a Port and Policy evening. They have too much trouble not being racist/sexist a lot of the time, though.

On that point..would your friend agree that "Life is Better Under a Conservative"? :wink:
Reply 2983
Original post by Mellete
On that point..would your friend agree that "Life is Better Under a Conservative"? :wink:

My friend is an arch-tory catholic who plans to become prime minister and believes in the divine right of kings. So yeah. :p:
Reply 2984
Original post by dbmag9
My friend is an arch-tory catholic who plans to become prime minister and believes in the divine right of kings. So yeah. :p:

You'll have seen the poster, of course?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xbFrx50EjMc/SNFGLMdr17I/AAAAAAAAAqw/7Es2i7iQaUU/s1600-h/Female+poster+%28small%29.PNG
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off :frown:

I'm a bit like this - I keep delaying buying subfusc. But that's probably more because of being lazy than anything else!
Reply 2986

I hadn't seen the poster, although I guessed the slogan was intended as a double entendre. I'm not really the demographic that poster's meant to influence, though. :p:
Reply 2987
Original post by dbmag9
I hadn't seen the poster, although I guessed the slogan was intended as a double entendre. I'm not really the demographic that poster's meant to influence, though. :p:

We're all-inclusive in the Big Society :p:

http://www.lgbtory.co.uk/sites/default/files/images/26384_412297560188_514255188_5564740_4089652_n_0.preview.jpg
LGBTory *blech*

I'll just stick to regular LGBT societies, ta.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Completely. The second team is entirely made up for novices, i.e. those who have been shooting for less than a year, and all competitions have a seperate category for them, so you're never shooting aginst people more experienced than you in your first year. I only started last October so I'm only just leaving novicehood myself, so I can tell you that you're well cared for and trained :smile: In fact, our novice team beat Cambridge's novices last Varsity by a sizable margin, so you can get pretty good in a short time! Even if you don't want to do competitions, there are plenty of things for novices to do, badges and awards to work for, that sort of thing.

It's awesome that people are interested :biggrin:

That sounds very similar to fencing, which has a novice Varsity Match that I'm very interested in.

You've sold it to me, so you can consider me a future member :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2990

Now if they put that up at the freshers' fair I might almost be tempted. :biggrin:
Fencing society is very tempting, haven't fenced since I was eleven, but it was bloody marvellous. I'm going to pop along to the OUCA, certainly, just to see if it isn't too weird, I'll sign up straight away if it's as offensive and booze-sodden as they say. Can't wait to play cricket at Magdalen either, even though it's months away I want to play Magdalene, Cambridge and KILL THEM ALL.
Original post by The Anti-Hero
That sounds very similar to fencing, which has a novice Varsity Match that I'm very interested.

You've sold it to me, so you can consider me a future member :biggrin:

:thumbsup:
Reply 2993
Does LGBTory mean the Conservatives refuse to recognize trans people? :curious:
Reply 2994
Original post by BJack
Does LGBTory mean the Conservatives refuse to recognize trans people? :curious:

Nah, it's like this shirt. That said, I'm still dubious of a party with factions like the Cornerstone Group.
Original post by deFossard
Fencing society is very tempting, haven't fenced since I was eleven, but it was bloody marvellous. I'm going to pop along to the OUCA, certainly, just to see if it isn't too weird, I'll sign up straight away if it's as offensive and booze-sodden as they say. Can't wait to play cricket at Magdalen either, even though it's months away I want to play Magdalene, Cambridge and KILL THEM ALL.

If you join the UOTC they'll give you a gun and you quite possibly could...
Reply 2996
Original post by micky022

Just don't let them hear you call it a gun. :ninja:

Join the Oxford University Company of Archers and you get kitted out with an offensive weapon capable of punching through plate armour at 100 yards. I worry about us sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9
Just don't let them hear you call it a gun. :ninja:

I worried if I called it the L85A2/L86A2 DeFos (Can I call you DeFos?) wouldn't know what I was on about :tongue:

Besides, everyone knows its true name is 'shooty stick'...
Haha, must it only be called a weapon or a rifle?

I think challenging a Cantabrigiensis (Oh I HAVE been reading the glossary in my Fresher's booklet) to a duel would be a brilliant way to kill one. Dressed in white, prancing back and forth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending