Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADayInTheLife)
    There is no ball (as someone has already pointed out, that occurs in 9th week) and I've never heard of anything occuring in the Oscar Wilde room on May day either (that doesn't mean for certain that there nothing does, but either way Oscar Wilde room events are usually a bit ****e). May day is generally about people doing their own thing and getting very drunk, possibly going to a club night if they're that way inclined, and then reconvening at 6am on cloisters lawn to listen to the choir. Sleep/watching morris dancers in the the city centre usually follows. Some people get to go up the tower, but you have to be invited by choiry people I think.
    Thank you, that clears a few things up. Must have read some duff information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    Which societies are top of people's "To Join" list?
    I'm at St Hugh's and I think I'm going for:

. Choir

. Christian Union

. Dance

. Drama

. Pudding Society

. The History Society (I'm a History student so I think I pretty much have to do this one, it looks fun though)

ReputationRep:
    Which societies are top of people's "To Join" list?
    I'm thinking LGBT, trampolining, some sort of martial art and a vegetarian/vegan group (if there is one?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I'm thinking LGBT, trampolining, some sort of martial art and a vegetarian/vegan group (if there is one?)

See you at the LGBTSoc though. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    I have a crazy conservative friend who's a member, he's promised to bring me along to a Port and Policy evening. They have too much trouble not being racist/sexist a lot of the time, though.
    On that point..would your friend agree that "Life is Better Under a Conservative"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellete)
    On that point..would your friend agree that "Life is Better Under a Conservative"?
    My friend is an arch-tory catholic who plans to become prime minister and believes in the divine right of kings. So yeah. :p:

ReputationRep:
    My friend is an arch-tory catholic who plans to become prime minister and believes in the divine right of kings. So yeah. :p:
    You'll have seen the poster, of course?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xbFrx50EjM...28small%29.PNG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comet Andromeda)
    Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off
    I'm a bit like this - I keep delaying buying subfusc. But that's probably more because of being lazy than anything else!

ReputationRep:
    You'll have seen the poster, of course?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xbFrx50EjM...28small%29.PNG
    I hadn't seen the poster, although I guessed the slogan was intended as a double entendre. I'm not really the demographic that poster's meant to influence, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't seen the poster, although I guessed the slogan was intended as a double entendre. I'm not really the demographic that poster's meant to influence, though. :p:
    We're all-inclusive in the Big Society :p:

http://www.lgbtory.co.uk/sites/defau..._0.preview.jpg

ReputationRep:
    LGBTory *blech*

I'll just stick to regular LGBT societies, ta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incarnadine91)
    Completely. The second team is entirely made up for novices, i.e. those who have been shooting for less than a year, and all competitions have a seperate category for them, so you're never shooting aginst people more experienced than you in your first year. I only started last October so I'm only just leaving novicehood myself, so I can tell you that you're well cared for and trained In fact, our novice team beat Cambridge's novices last Varsity by a sizable margin, so you can get pretty good in a short time! Even if you don't want to do competitions, there are plenty of things for novices to do, badges and awards to work for, that sort of thing.

It's awesome that people are interested
    That sounds very similar to fencing, which has a novice Varsity Match that I'm very interested in.

You've sold it to me, so you can consider me a future member

ReputationRep:
    We're all-inclusive in the Big Society :p:

http://www.lgbtory.co.uk/sites/defau..._0.preview.jpg
    Now if they put that up at the freshers' fair I might almost be tempted.

ReputationRep:
    Fencing society is very tempting, haven't fenced since I was eleven, but it was bloody marvellous. I'm going to pop along to the OUCA, certainly, just to see if it isn't too weird, I'll sign up straight away if it's as offensive and booze-sodden as they say. Can't wait to play cricket at Magdalen either, even though it's months away I want to play Magdalene, Cambridge and KILL THEM ALL.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds very similar to fencing, which has a novice Varsity Match that I'm very interested.

You've sold it to me, so you can consider me a future member
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Does LGBTory mean the Conservatives refuse to recognize trans people? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Does LGBTory mean the Conservatives refuse to recognize trans people? :curious:
    Nah, it's like this shirt. That said, I'm still dubious of a party with factions like the Cornerstone Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    Fencing society is very tempting, haven't fenced since I was eleven, but it was bloody marvellous. I'm going to pop along to the OUCA, certainly, just to see if it isn't too weird, I'll sign up straight away if it's as offensive and booze-sodden as they say. Can't wait to play cricket at Magdalen either, even though it's months away I want to play Magdalene, Cambridge and KILL THEM ALL.
    If you join the UOTC they'll give you a gun and you quite possibly could...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Just don't let them hear you call it a gun. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Join the Oxford University Company of Archers and you get kitted out with an offensive weapon capable of punching through plate armour at 100 yards. I worry about us sometimes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.