Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why we're interested in Williams, I mean he's a solid player no questioning that, but with 3 people who are already natural CBs and Sagna who probably had his best game of the season filling in at CB - it's hardly a position we need to worry about.

Djourou is also going to be back from loan, don't know where his future lies but that's plenty of CBs. If we're getting a defender I'd rather it was a versatile one who could play at 2 or more positions.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of Vermalean playing in the DM position. Long shot but I do believe that he has certain qualities that could help us in that position- similar to what David Luiz is doing at Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    What do you guys think of Vermalean playing in the DM position. Long shot but I do believe that he has certain qualities that could help us in that position- similar to what David Luiz is doing at Chelsea
    I think its a good idea since verm won't be happy sitting on the bench any longer and he would give a much needed physical presence to our pretty much lightweight midfield. No need to break up the merty kosc partnership. Only worry is verm's lack of discipline, he does like to bomb forward so maybe isnt wot we need in the middle of the park.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

He doesn't have enough positional awareness and isn't a good enough passer so I don't think he'd be great there

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea bruv. He isn't a good passer, and always gets caught out of position. Lets invest in Pogba!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't personally see why we should feel the need to placate TV5? I'd love him to stay as I think he is a quality defender in a patch of poor form. If he doesn't like being benched, he needs to up his game - Wenger is quite clear and fair on this and if you show you've got what it takes, you'll get your position in the first team. And if TV5 can't secure a regular first team spot in the Arsenal squad, why are we worried he'll be pinched by another club? And having 3 CBs is definitely not enough. It only takes an injury and a suspension and we're done for. We need 3 capable CBs in Kosc, Merts, and Verm who could all comfortably play in our defence should they be needed. I wouldn't say no to Williams joining that group if Djourou decides to leave - again, I don't feel the need to try and placate a mid-table defender just to ensure he signs for us - if he's good enough, he can fight for his place. Otherwise, he doesn't deserve to wear to the Arsenal badge and should continue to be content with being first choice at mid-table Swansea.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should sign a young defender to be our fourth choice as i cant see djourou staying

maybe nkoulou, matip etc

If vermaelen does leave we need to replace him though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I think we should sign a young defender to be our fourth choice as i cant see djourou staying

maybe nkoulou, matip etc

If vermaelen does leave we need to replace him though
    Wouldnt mind Kurt Zouma that plays for St Ettiene. People have tipped him and Varane at Madrid to be top top defenders in the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    Wouldnt mind Kurt Zouma that plays for St Ettiene. People have tipped him and Varane at Madrid to be top top defenders in the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think papadopaulus is great too!

ReputationRep:
    I think papadopaulus is great too!
    Couldn't take him without getting Matip as well, they're both great and really cannot pick one out of the two really!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, it could work as he is good in the tackle, would add physicality to our midfield and it would allow him to utilise that cannon of shot he has a bit more . But at the same time, I have the same reservations that others have already mentioned - his passing probably isn't refined enough to play that position and his positioning isn't brilliant (although it is a bit less important as a DM than when playing CB).

Hopefully Arsene experiments with it in preseason so that we can gauge whether Tommy playing in midfield is a viable option or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    Couldn't take him without getting Matip as well, they're both great and really cannot pick one out of the two really!
    How about marquinhos?!

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be a decent option, but it will result in a place lost by natural midfielders such as Arteta or Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    How about marquinhos?!
    At Roma ? Not seen too much of him but my friend raves about him a lot and certainly makes him sound promising. A lot of the big teams are in for him from a quick google search so competition would be stiff.

On Roma, would kill to have Lamela at Arsenal. What a player he is! Top top quality in fact, to quote a well known man from these parts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is wilshere going to fit into our team next season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    At Roma ? Not seen too much of him but my friend raves about him a lot and certainly makes him sound promising. A lot of the big teams are in for him from a quick google search so competition would be stiff.

On Roma, would kill to have Lamela at Arsenal. What a player he is! Top top quality in fact, to quote a well known man from these parts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said a couple of pages back that i would love for lamela to come to arsenal :moon:

I think he would fit our team well because rosicky can't last the whole season so he can play there or on the right if walcott is in a bad bit of form too!

ReputationRep:
    How is wilshere going to fit into our team next season?
    IMO, in the majority of his games he should be played alongside a defensive midfielder (with the Wilshere-DM partnership rotated with Ramsey-Arteta) and some games playing as the AM.

ReputationRep:
    I said a couple of pages back that i would love for lamela to come to arsenal :moon:

I think he would fit our team well because rosicky can't last the whole season so he can play there or on the right if walcott is in a bad bit of form too!
    Would love Lamela at the Arsenal! He's exceptional in the Rosicky role, and can play well on the right just as well, cutting in on his left foot. Right now you could raid a top young team from the Serie A! Pogba, Lamela, El Shaarawy, Marquinhos, Insigne and Jovetic to name a few!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    IMO, in the majority of his games he should be played alongside a defensive midfielder (with the Wilshere-DM partnership rotated with Ramsey-Arteta) and some games playing as the AM.
    Yeah thats what i was thinking with the rotation but i dont want us to break the ramsey arteta partnership

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal Women's! :woo:

FA Cup Final against Bristol Academy

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.