Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    What a **** match. So many errors. Nowhere near the quality of their previous two AO encounters. And what the hell happened to Stan in the final set? He just imploded. What was the point of winning the 4th set if he was gonna imploded like that in the final set? If this match was so bad, I'm dreading how bad the final is gonna be. Djokovic-Murray is probably the worst match up in tennis. Most of their matches are just plain boring. I'll probably skip it.
    Its boring because the playing style is pretty much the same. Wierd that Nadal's is not given they all went to the same place for a long period.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, can't wait for the final! It's gonna be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I never usually rag on the top players in any context, but I have to echo what others have said about the match up. Djokovic and Murray are phenomenal players in their own right, but they're so similar in their patterns of play and abilities that the matches do tend to become a bit monotonous, even with the variety they possess. Typically as both players have stronger backhands they end up trading endlessly to that wing till one of them is brave enough to pull the trigger down the line or with the forehand. They also spend a long time testing each other out in the first set out of nerves (which is understandable) but still, you rarely see one or the other exercising all out aggression in order to force the play.

If Djokovic was as flaky as he was for much of his match against Raonic, Murray's got a good chance. Djokovic is obviously the favourite as he's incredibly at winning matches where he's playing poorly, but I've got a good feels for Murray this year. I'm going with him to win.

ReputationRep:
    i reaaally hope murray wins!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a **** match. So many errors. Nowhere near the quality of their previous two AO encounters. And what the hell happened to Stan in the final set? He just imploded. What was the point of winning the 4th set if he was gonna imploded like that in the final set? If this match was so bad, I'm dreading how bad the final is gonna be. Djokovic-Murray is probably the worst match up in tennis. Most of their matches are just plain boring. I'll probably skip it.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Serena wins another slam. :yawn: I have to give credit where credit is due though. She is too good. Sharapova played brilliantly, possibly the best she could have played but Serena at her best is unbeatable. What a serving performance by Williams. Her serve is better than some of the men players such as Ferrer. Good final.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Really good final. Shame it didn't go to a third set.

ReputationRep:
    Serena Williams is just amazing. GS #19. But Maria really made her earn it today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Amazing final, so much drama and both women played at a high level just a shame for Sharapova that her best isn't enough against Serena. Hopefully the men's final tomorrow will be even better!

ReputationRep:
    amazing final, just pure excitement. Sharapova gave everything she had, but unfortunately you can't have two winners. She gave a great speech as she was forcing back the tears. Well done Serena, I may not be her biggest fan, but this woman is just talented on so many levels.

ReputationRep:
    Really was an incredible final. Wanted Sharapova but Serena was too good. Her serve though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done to the GOAT that is Serena Williams. Even while sufferin from bronchitis she still managed to get it done. Props to Maria though, that 2nd set was probably the best of the tournament from the women's side. Good to watch

ReputationRep:
    Somehow, I doubt the men's final is going to match this one quality-wise unless Murray is super aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't imagine Murray losing in yet another AO final. He's got to win it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Somehow, I doubt the men's final is going to match this one quality-wise unless Murray is super aggressive.
    Hopefully it won't be as steep a drop in quality as the one between the women's and men's finals at RG last year...

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stat about Murray in grand slam finals. All of his finals have come against Federer and Djokovic. 3 against Roger and 5 against Djokovic. He has won 2 major finals against Djokovic and none against Federer. What does that tell us?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stat about Murray in grand slam finals. All of his finals have come against Federer and Djokovic. 3 against Roger and 5 against Djokovic. He has won 2 major finals against Djokovic and none against Federer. What does that tell us?
    His been unfortunate to be in such a great era , by the way murray in 5 2maro !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    His been unfortunate to be in such a great era , by the way murray in 5 2maro !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not the answer I had in mind.

If Djokovic plays like he did against Stan then maybe but if he is at his best, then Novak in 4.

ReputationRep:
    However he has won against Federer in the Olympic final, the only one Federer would have desperately wanted (as he doesn't already have it).

ReputationRep:
    Murray and Nadal have never met in a Slam final, maybe the best chance of seeing this would be at the US Open.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.