Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaGeehkaal)
    Yeah, March 30th- April 2nd
    Ooo, if I can't land MS.. this may be a promising gig.

Given I even get invited to interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Ooo, if I can't land MS.. this may be a promising gig.

Given I even get invited to interviews
    BNPP are way less competitive than MS, you've done a good job to get to the interview stage so i doubt BNPP will give you a hard time

ReputationRep:
    BNPP are way less competitive than MS, you've done a good job to get to the interview stage so i doubt BNPP will give you a hard time
    It's all a huge numbers game. Probability theory.

ReputationRep:
    It's all a huge numbers game. Probability theory.
    elaborate please haha

ReputationRep:
    elaborate please haha
    X number of candidates apply. X*75% are probably candidates with a good profile (meet the requirements/go to decent university).

Suppose X is on the lower end 5000-6000, those with a decent shot 3750 (per bank~). Now assume each bank takes 60 people that's a 1:62.5 ratio. Even if the figures aren't correct, it gives a decent analogy of what I'm trying to connote.

You can have a solid profile but regardless the numbers are swayed heavily against you.

I mean there's obviously the outstanding candidate who will get 3-4+ Spring Week offers but in its entirety it's pretty difficult to seperate first year students with little to no prior banking experience and who all have A*s/As in A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking seems like a very good job. Is it boring?

ReputationRep:
    X number of candidates apply. X*75% are probably candidates with a good profile (meet the requirements/go to decent university).

Suppose X is on the lower end 5000-6000, those with a decent shot 3750 (per bank~). Now assume each bank takes 60 people that's a 1:62.5 ratio. Even if the figures aren't correct, it gives a decent analogy of what I'm trying to connote.

You can have a solid profile but regardless the numbers are swayed heavily against you.

I mean there's obviously the outstanding candidate who will get 3-4+ Spring Week offers but in its entirety it's pretty difficult to seperate first year students with little to no prior banking experience and who all have A*s/As in A levels.
    this. The number of applicants would have to be significantly less to actually make a difference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chromesilver7)
    Investment banking seems like a very good job. Is it boring?
    This isn't really the thread to be asking these types of questions. Apply for the spring insight programmes and take a look for yourself.

The answers you would get would be purely subjective and no real help to you. Do you like number crunching and formulating excel models? Do you like pricing financial products?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProjectNr2)
    this. The number of applicants would have to be significantly less to actually make a difference...
    I can tell you, last year BNPP received substantially less applicants than say CS by a good margin. Think BNPP only had around 800 in total or something, it wasn't many relative to other big banks. But they only take about 25 people so roughly a 3.125% acceptance rate. Places like MS the acceptance rate is more like 1.2% for IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    I can tell you, last year BNPP received substantially less applicants than say CS by a good margin. Think BNPP only had around 800 in total or something, it wasn't many relative to other big banks. But they only take about 25 people so roughly a 3.125% acceptance rate. Places like MS the acceptance rate is more like 1.2%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    damn thank you. Extremly interesting those numbers. Do you have something like a source where there are more of those or is that just what you calculated yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProjectNr2)
    damn thank you. Extremly interesting those numbers. Do you have something like a source where there are more of those or is that just what you calculated yourself?
    BNPP is from HR, CS I know had a fair bit into the thousands (a friend said) and the MS figures are based on a news report from Google (Search: 'Morgan Stanley Rejects 90,000 Applications') < imagine it is similar for SWs. Obviously it varies year on year a fair bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sort of yes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chromesilver7)
    Sort of yes...
    When responding, quote the user you respond to.

What's your educational profile?

What year of study?/University?/Degree?

ReputationRep:
    guys do you think we'll hear from banks in for the next 15 days or so ? (do they close for like christmas/new year periods)

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmwl)
    Just motivation and competency with some commercial awareness
    Hi man! Congrats on that, but I don't quite understand: Did you have a first round telephone interview with MS for their Spring and now you are going to have the final round interview already? And if so, how was the first round interview like?

Would greatly appreciate your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atty)
    yeah, all of them
    Would you be so kind as to list all the 22 spring weeks you have applied to? I am so disappointed of myself right now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hody421)
    If i may, which uni?
    It's not a target university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ^forthedream^)
    would you be so kind as to list all the 22 spring weeks you have applied to? I am so disappointed of myself right now...
    barclays
    rbs
    goldman sachs
    nomura
    bank of america
    rothschild
    bnp paribas
    rbc capital markets insight day
    bp (ist insight)
    ey (insight into)
    pwc
    kpmg
    deloitte
    hsbc
    shell
    ubs
    credit suisse
    citigroup
    deutsche bank
    j.p. Morgan
    morgan stanley
    oliver wyman
    mckinsey&co
    blackrock
    icap
    lazard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Done all tests for RBS and Citi. Offer from BAML. Waiting to hear from Nomura, CS, MS, GS, Rothschild and Lazard. Sending Barclays off this weekend too. Not sure if I've left any out..
    Guessing you forgot JPM?
    Congrats on your offer from BAML!
    May I ask for which division?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Illusionist)
    Guessing you forgot JPM?
    Congrats on your offer from BAML!
    May I ask for which division?
    I actually missed JPM's deadline, even though it was extended haha.

It was for Global Markets.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.