Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    I attended a UCAS seminar last week where they explicitly stated that there is no obligation to take students after results day and that the 31st August deadline is only suggested.

Saying that, most unis will still honour the offer. Although yes as you've said this may be through a deferred offer etc

As we can see from earlier posts though, Cambridge seems to honour the 31st deadline so it's not an issue here.
    Completely unrelated to results day...but do Oxford have an extenuating circumatances form like Cambridge do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?
    (Original post by Elishaclark2)
    I did I went to the 2014 summer school for medicine, and I had the best time! I stayed at St John's and ended up applying there (and getting an offer!). I don't know if it helped, but I wrote about it in my personal statement and at the cambridge interview. The experience it gave may have helped yes, but I don't think it made me more favoured than any other applicant if that's what you mean
    Just to add to what Elisha said, I attended the 2013 law summer school (I also stayed at St John's) and recently finished my first year studying law at Caius

The week was a fantastic introduction into law, with a very busy schedule filled with seminars held by some amazing lecturers. There were some really helpful talks on how to refine our applications and lots of fun social events too. I would definitely recommend anyone considering studying at Oxbridge from a state school (especially one with little history of sending students to Oxbridge) to apply, it dispels a lot of myths about the universities and is thoroughly worthwhile.

Like Elisha, I too mentioned the summer school on my PS and discussed it at my interview. I know a lot of people who were on the 2013 law ST scheme that are now at Cambridge/Oxford. Imo, it was definitely a factor in me getting an offer. But, beyond that, it was worthwhile for helping me decide that I did want to study law at university and that I was good enough to apply to the best universities to do so.

ReputationRep:
    So definitely email with UMS and remark details rather than call in if you miss your offer then? If you are 'Unsuccessful' on Track is that the end despite possible remarks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    So definitely email with UMS and remark details rather than call in if you miss your offer then? If you are 'Unsuccessful' on Track is that the end despite possible remarks?
    Email with ums and remark details if conditional.

If you are planning on remarks, and it is a rejection, do the same.

Tbh though, I am 100% sure you're in so don't need to worry about those details
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    No, as per above, if you are successfully remarked before 31st Aug then Cambridge will honour your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No, as per above, if you are successfully remarked before 31st Aug then Cambridge will honour your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah right, pretty sure the TSR guide says that it's The End by The Doors if it comes up with unsuccessful on Track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Completely unrelated to results day...but do Oxford have an extenuating circumatances form like Cambridge do?
    Not really no, instead your referee is supposed to contact the college with the information and circumstances etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Tbh though, I am 100% sure you're in so don't need to worry about those details
    I'm not :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Ah right, pretty sure the TSR guide says that it is /The End/ by The Doors if it comes up with unsuccessful on Track.
    I put up a guide to results day for Cambridge offer holders around an hour ago - it does not say that, feel free to check it :P

ReputationRep:
    I put up a guide to results day for Cambridge offer holders around an hour ago - it does not say that, feel free to check it :P
    I was referring to the general guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    I was referring to the general guide
    If your offer has changed to unsuccessful then generally yes that means the end. But if the university is honouring the offer until the 31st and you have a re-mark that goes up then it can be reversed.

ReputationRep:
    If your offer has changed to unsuccessful then generally yes that means the end. But if the university is honouring the offer until the 31st and you have a re-mark that goes up then it can be reversed.
    Is it work asking whether they would reconsider with a remark, or is the procedure to just assume they're going to hold their end of the deal and get the remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Ah right, pretty sure the TSR guide says that it is /The End/ by The Doors if it comes up with unsuccessful on Track.
    I'm sure you will break on through (to the other side).

Strange days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Is it work asking whether they would reconsider with a remark, or is the procedure to just assume they're going to hold their end of the deal and get the remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would definitely need to tell them if you are getting a remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The 2014 guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to speak to them first - they need to be kept in the loop and may have different advice etc
    They also may give the place away through the summer pool if they don't realise you're getting a remark

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to them first - they need to be kept in the loop and may have different advice etc
    They also may give the place away through the summer pool if they don't realise you're getting a remark
    Good point, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?
    Yes I went to the Medicine one in 2014 at St John's College and I ended up getting an offer.
    I enjoyed every second of that summer school. The summer school really does allow you to experience life as a Cambridge student which reassured me on applying to Cambridge. Also the week was on results week so I asked about if my results would make a competitive application and they gave me confidence in applying to Cambridge.
    I wrote about it in my personal statement, although I didn't mention it was at Cambridge just in case the other universities I applied to think negatively of it. The summer school also helped me on deciding which college I should apply to. But I'm not too sure if it helped me in the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    I'd eat a hat if you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I'd eat a hat if you didn't.
    Don't remind me of the abysmal election

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.