The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
there is absolutely no reason for such a choice, but probably football. Anyone can pick up swimming, you parents when you're about five just take you to the swimming pool and it just happens. But football has to be perfected over years and years. And you have to learn that **** if you're a male and not affluent, just the same as upper class males have to learn how to navigate the social circles of their class; ie read books and stuff.
wow wow wow!!! Are you trying to say that all men have to know how to play football? How utterly ridiculous of you. And if anyone can learn how to swim how come drowning is the third largest killer?

THose sports aren't that similar to football...yes, they have goals. That's pretty much where the similarity ends.
are you not reading what you are saying? The strategy is exactly the same.

also sport should never be about winning, that discourages people who aren't good from taking part and it is part of the cause of our obesity epidemic.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
I've wondered that too because I've blocked an idiot a few weeks ago and I don't want to read his uneducated crap and yet his quotes keep coming up. The mods need to fix this.
I think… we've blocked the same person. :holmes:
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
wow wow wow!!! Are you trying to say that all men have to know how to play football? How utterly ridiculous of you. And if anyone can learn how to swim how come drowning is the third largest killer?

also sport should never be about winning, that discourages people who aren't good from taking part and it is part of the cause of our obesity epidemic.
No. I'm saying that Dad's should get their kids into football if they're from a working class background. Otherwise you're basically giving your son fewer opportunities for friends, fewer things to talk about, fewer ways to achieve social acceptance, and an increased chance of being unhealthy.

swimming kills becuase people who can swim put themselves in dangerous positions. Being able to swim might not save you. DO you know what the sea is?

No, the strategy is not the same. Given you know nothing about football, what makes you think you're in a position to say that? The fact you think rugby has the same strategy as football is laughable.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I think… we've blocked the same person. :holmes:
Great minds think alike, my dear sir.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. I'm saying that Dad's should get their kids into football if they're from a working class background. Otherwise you're basically giving your son fewer opportunities for friends, fewer things to talk about, fewer ways to achieve social acceptance, and an increased chance of being unhealthy.
ok, still really sexist... People shouldn't be forced to do something just to be accepted, football also just extenuated the LAD culture which is a vile thing.

swimming kills becuase people who can swim put themselves in dangerous positions. Being able to swim might not save you. DO you know what the sea is?
drowning kills because people don't know how to swim properly.

No, the strategy is not the same. Given you know nothing about football, what makes you think you're in a position to say that? The fact you think rugby has the same strategy as football is laughable.
oh, I guess you're right, the only strategy in football is knowing how to cry correctly. Unless you have played all those sports I know suggest you know as little as you think I do.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
ok, still really sexist... People shouldn't be forced to do something just to be accepted, football also just extenuated the LAD culture which is a vile thing.

oh, I guess you're right, the only strategy in football is knowing how to cry correctly. Unless you have played all those sports I know suggest you know as little as you think I do.
oh shut up you absolute classist bigot.

almost everybody knows how to swim; clearly not being able to swim is not the only factor.

now we know, if it wasn't already patently obvious, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Diving = tactics, not strategy.

I've played handball, water polo and rugby. They're all completely different. Polo again is completely different; i've watched that but obviously you can hardly just play polo during sport and rec. I have no idea what lacrosse even is but considering you actually think rugby and football are similar except for the shape of ball i don't trust that example demonstrates your point.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting that in 6 of the last 9 elections the party with a polling lead the year before the election lost.

That being said i think the Tories sealed their fate in 2010 when they failed to really improve their fortunes in the North East, Scotland and Wales.

Have to say that as the election approaches the most exciting thing is the thought that 3 of the 4 current leaders could be gone. While i'd like Cleggers to stick around i think the best thing for the country and the parties is for Miliband, Cameron and Farage to get out of the way. Neither Miliband nor Cameron really know how to deal with the EU or union issue and Farage i don't like ever since he declared he wants to bring the EU down rather than just the UK out.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh shut up you absolute classist bigot.

almost everybody knows how to swim; clearly not being able to swim is not the only factor.

now we know, if it wasn't already patently obvious, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Diving = tactics, not strategy.

I've played handball, water polo and rugby. They're all completely different. Polo again is completely different; i've watched that but obviously you can hardly just play polo during sport and rec. I have no idea what lacrosse even is but considering you actually think rugby and football are similar except for the shape of ball i don't trust that example demonstrates your point.
classist? How? All I am saying is that a culture which encourages you to see women as positions, swear all the time, do badly in school, binge drink and act like a jerk to everyone who isn't your 'mate' is horrific. It is one of the most right-wing authoritarian sects in society and is responsible for most of the a lot of anti-social behaviour.

that is not true at all. Only 44% of people know how to swim in the UK and it is not an innate instinct.

Tactics and strategy are the same...

they maybe different in the rules but the basic theories are the same, trying to force the opposing team to make errors.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aaand it clashes with the United match to. Seriously, who in the BBC plans this crap?
Be grateful the BBC still have some sport at all.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can confirm that i never learnt how to swim properly.. it bothered me right up to the point that i realised at 6'4, it was unlikely to ever bother me.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
classist? How? All I am saying is that a culture which encourages you to see women as positions, swear all the time, do badly in school, binge drink and act like a jerk to everyone who isn't your 'mate' is horrific. It is one of the most right-wing authoritarian sects in society and is responsible for most of the a lot of anti-social behaviour.

that is not true at all. Only 44% of people know how to swim in the UK and it is not an innate instinct.

Tactics and strategy are the same...

they maybe different in the rules but the basic theories are the same, trying to force the opposing team to make errors.
It's a culture whereby non educated people do what they enjoy and have banter. Everything else apart from that is using the behavior of some to demonise a huge demographic of people. Namely working class males. Despite the fact that women engage in such behaviours too.

and people who know that if they go into water they will sink do not try swimming out to see like many competent swimmers do. Anyway this debate is pointless; why do you think there is a choice between people swimming and being allowed to play football.

Tactics and strategy are the same. Tactics refers to micro decisions, strategy refers to the game plan. Ie, it is strategy to take a scorched earth policy and retreat to a more favourable place to do battle. It's tactics to see that an enemy position is not covered by cavalry or ordinance and have not formed squares, so you send in a cavalry charge and slaughter them, for example.

"forcing them to make errors" is vague. You can apply that to literally anything.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

There's no reason you can't play more than one sport. If someone like Israel Folau can play elite rugby league, rugby union and Aussie-rules football then I'm sure someone can learn how to swim as well as kick a ball.

And let's distinguish between sport (competitive physical activity) and exercise (physical activity in general done for physical fitness and health reasons).
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a culture whereby non educated people do what they enjoy and have banter. Everything else apart from that is using the behavior of some to demonise a huge demographic of people. Namely working class males. Despite the fact that women engage in such behaviours too.
no, having grown up with 'LAD culture' I can tell you that it is not the minority, you might not see it from the inside but it is the vast majority if not all 'LAD's' who behave like that.

and people who know that if they go into water they will sink do not try swimming out to see like many competent swimmers do. Anyway this debate is pointless; why do you think there is a choice between people swimming and being allowed to play football.

Tactics and strategy are the same. Tactics refers to micro decisions, strategy refers to the game plan. Ie, it is strategy to take a scorched earth policy and retreat to a more favourable place to do battle. It's tactics to see that an enemy position is not covered by cavalry or ordinance and have not formed squares, so you send in a cavalry charge and slaughter them, for example.

"forcing them to make errors" is vague. You can apply that to literally anything.
It was a hypothetical...

And i I just said that.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
There's no reason you can't play more than one sport. If someone like Israel Folau can play elite rugby league, rugby union and Aussie-rules football then I'm sure someone can learn how to swim as well as kick a ball.

And let's distinguish between sport (competitive physical activity) and exercise (physical activity in general done for physical fitness and health reasons).
I know, but you can't have a perfect balance and its you have to focus on one it should be swimming.

what about blood sport? And racecar driving? Neither are that physical.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
no, having grown up with 'LAD culture' I can tell you that it is not the minority, you might not see it from the inside but it is the vast majority if not all 'LAD's' who behave like that.

It was a hypothetical...

And i I just said that.
I've grown up with the absolute worst of what people now, for some reason, refer to as "lad culture" ie, dunking the fat kids clothes in the toilette water and making them wear it. And yeah, it's just groups of men misbehaving together, not the evil culture bent on treating women as "objects" that people think. The primary victims are other men. Women don't even come into the equation. What you're suggesting is removing the civil liberties of men of a certain class because some of them misbehave.

What?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've grown up with the absolute worst of what people now, for some reason, refer to as "lad culture" ie, dunking the fat kids clothes in the toilette water and making them wear it. And yeah, it's just groups of men misbehaving together, not the evil culture bent on treating women as "objects" that people think. The primary victims are other men. Women don't even come into the equation. What you're suggesting is removing the civil liberties of men of a certain class because some of them misbehave.

What?
when you hear you friendly neighbourhood LAD walking past bragging about how many times he's had sex and referring to women in very derogatory terms I'd get carded for you change your opinion. Plus you make it sould like that behaviour is fine!!!
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
when you hear you friendly neighbourhood LAD walking past bragging about how many times he's had sex and referring to women in very derogatory terms I'd get carded for you change your opinion. Plus you make it sould like that behaviour is fine!!!
I've heard all of that. People who are not a part of that culture of boisterous young men do not understand the language/meaning divide. What you will never hear, though, is someone seriously arguing "all women are inferior", without the context of a joke. And when you have a group of men all competing to say more extreme things than the other to make themselves look the biggest (that's the game, I've played it many times) then that is the test.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've heard all of that. People who are not a part of that culture of boisterous young men do not understand the language/meaning divide. What you will never hear, though, is someone seriously arguing "all women are inferior", without the context of a joke. And when you have a group of men all competing to say more extreme things than the other to make themselves look the biggest (that's the game, I've played it many times) then that is the test.
All I will say is that if you say something enough times you begin to believe in it...
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
a culture which encourages you to see women as positions, swear all the time, do badly in school, binge drink and act like a jerk to everyone who isn't your 'mate' is horrific. It is one of the most right-wing authoritarian sects in society and is responsible for most of the a lot of anti-social behaviour.

(Original post by Aph)
football also just extenuated the LAD culture which is a vile thing.

Please, please I am begging you. Engage brain before opening gob.
EVERYTHING you have written or inferred (drowning bit) there is incorrect in just so many ways.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I know, but you can't have a perfect balance and its you have to focus on one it should be swimming.
Why? So long as you are a fairly competent swimmer you're fine. You don't need to be Rebecca Adlington, you can then focus on something else.

what about blood sport? And racecar driving? Neither are that physical.
I have my doubts as to whether they're really sports though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
10.53%
They might tell the bully (3)
15.79%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
15.79%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
31.58%
There's nothing they could do (5)
26.32%

Watched Threads