The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
Personally I'd advise against Chester, for one you definitely won't get accommodation IIRC and if you do all their accommodation you wouldn't want to live it anyway. It's very, very grotty. Then the city is extortionate to live in.

The university itself is actually okay looking and has some good facilities. But it is one I would tell people to avoid if they can.

Ah, thanks :smile: is it just the accommodation that's an issue? I'd be staying with an external company similar to what it'd be like at BU.
Original post by breakfastbar333
Maybe I'm remembering it worse than it actually was

There was a petition on it lol - but i honestly didnt think it was as bad as people made out to be. I thought it was a standard paper and i actually thought aqa chem u5 was harder but nooone will agree with me on this lol
Chester is a lovely city
Original post by emiloujess
Ah, thanks :smile: is it just the accommodation that's an issue? I'd be staying with an external company similar to what it'd be like at BU.
Original post by PQ
Which exam board? I can recommend to my employer that we direct applicants their way if we're able to get gcse results directly this long in advance- we have to wait for applicants to email scans of their results slips on gcse results day to make decisions for gcse resit applicants.

Do they know your university has disclosed your grade to you? A university doing that with A level grades would be in breach of contract with the exam board.

I haven't been told what grade I got, I just know it was sufficient to meet the conditions of my course.
funny thing is, when doing UCAS I really really wanted to go to the Univesity of Manchester. my heart was completely set on it but the course I applied to had a two part entrance test. the first half was answering questions like "why do you want to study here?" "what do you like about Manchester?" (which is stupid imo) and the second half was relevant to my course, analyse a small sample text and write a short essay on it. on receiving feedback, I was told I did very well on my analysis but my answers were "superficial". okay but honestly, how am I meant to answer "why do I want to study at Manchester?" without sounding superficial! I applied, that should be proof enough!

but I digress, I was heartbroken when I didn't receive an offer. now however, the whole department is basically in clearing and idk how I feel about that. in a way I'm happy so I have a back up I've done adequate research on but on the other hand, I just want to put my middle fingers up to the whole institution and turn my back on it!

I'm happy with my firm and I would love to go there so I really do not want to end up in clearing but the nerves are settling in.
Reply 2985
Original post by emiloujess

When I looked the accommodation was the biggest issue. The campus was okay but the city was very expensive. You wouldn't have thought it was up north.
Original post by AmyPilot
Chester is a lovely city

Expensive though, I do agree the city is nice I just wouldn't recommend the uni.
Original post by MessyEffy
funny thing is, when doing UCAS I really really wanted to go to the Univesity of Manchester. my heart was completely set on it but the course I applied to had a two part entrance test. the first half was answering questions like "why do you want to study here?" "what do you like about Manchester?" (which is stupid imo) and the second half was relevant to my course, analyse a small sample text and write a short essay on it. on receiving feedback, I was told I did very well on my analysis but my answers were "superficial". okay but honestly, how am I meant to answer "why do I want to study at Manchester?" without sounding superficial! I applied, that should be proof enough!

but I digress, I was heartbroken when I didn't receive an offer. now however, the whole department is basically in clearing and idk how I feel about that. in a way I'm happy so I have a back up I've done adequate research on but on the other hand, I just want to put my middle fingers up to the whole institution and turn my back on it!

I'm happy with my firm and I would love to go there so I really do not want to end up in clearing but the nerves are settling in.

TBF if you end up in clearing they won't know and it won't affect them. The ultimate 'middle finger' would be getting in and them needing you.
Up north - I like that but it's south to me lol! It may be expensive because of all the tourists it attracts, Probably a good place to be a student and find a part time job though with all the cafes etc. It can sometimes get a bit hectic at night at the weekends - famous spot for nights out for the north wales set etc,
Original post by Aph
When I looked the accommodation was the biggest issue. The campus was okay but the city was very expensive. You wouldn't have thought it was up north.

Expensive though, I do agree the city is nice I just wouldn't recommend the uni.

TBF if you end up in clearing they won't know and it won't affect them. The ultimate 'middle finger' would be getting in and them needing you.
I am living by the motto that whatever happens happens for a reason and even if I do badly it could be a blessing in disgiuse as it will motivate me harder to be sucessful. That has kept me calm for now - but that wont hold lol
Reply 2988
Up north - I like that but it's south to me lol! It may be expensive because of all the tourists it attracts, Probably a good place to be a student and find a part time job though with all the cafes etc. It can sometimes get a bit hectic at night at the weekends - famous spot for nights out for the north wales set etc,

Yeah, I also didn't like it's party student feel which you aluded to there. But my main issue was the prices. It was basically as expensive as south coast living but was rather grotty (in terms of accommodation and the campus) you could definitely tell you were in the middle of a city.
I study in Manchester so Chester didn't feel like a big city to me - though have to say I don't do that "student lifestyle" that most people seem to crave/enjoy. Where you hoping to head off to?
Original post by Aph
Yeah, I also didn't like it's party student feel which you aluded to there. But my main issue was the prices. It was basically as expensive as south coast living but was rather grotty (in terms of accommodation and the campus) you could definitely tell you were in the middle of a city.
Reply 2990
I study in Manchester so Chester didn't feel like a big city to me - though have to say I don't do that "student lifestyle" that most people seem to crave/enjoy. Where you hoping to head off to?

I'm hoping for York which dispite being in the city (albeit the suburbs) feels very much like its out in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't want to go to either, both are too big a city for me and are too close to the city center.
Original post by UnknownAnon
Anyone know if Aberdeen is good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good in what way? It's a beautiful city, having lived there for 12 years
Didn't have a lot of choices where to study my course - my only options up north (and therefore not too far from home) were Manchester Leeds and Sheffield. My preferred uni style would have been campus and semi rural rather than a city but what can you do if they don't offer the course you want? Good luck for York.
Original post by Aph
I'm hoping for York which dispite being in the city (albeit the suburbs) feels very much like its out in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't want to go to either, both are too big a city for me and are too close to the city center.
Original post by antigone-
can somebody just pls leak all of the mark schemes like rn

The Edexcel ones are already here on the first post. Just scroll down a bit to where it says 'Exam Papers & Mark Schemes' in the subtitle. :smile:
Considering results day is next week and I'm so excited to buy new stationary!!

Any ideas for essential stationary for university? How do I buy it cheaper? Thanks!!
The new remark system is not fair for subjects like English Lit, it is so heavily subjective... Is a remark even worth it?
Reply 2996
Original post by Pato1
The new remark system is not fair for subjects like English Lit, it is so heavily subjective... Is a remark even worth it?

What's new /how's it harsh?
Original post by bishbashbosh123
Considering results day is next week and I'm so excited to buy new stationary!!

Any ideas for essential stationary for university? How do I buy it cheaper? Thanks!!

OMG I literally bought my favourite pens from Tesco today! lmao they're colour papermate pens and I cannot revise or make nice notes without them haha. Staples sell them for nearly £10 but there's a huge sale on Tesco and I got it for £2.50!!

Imagine I don't even get into Uni...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

KMN
Original post by MessyEffy
OMG I literally bought my favourite pens from Tesco today! lmao they're colour papermate pens and I cannot revise or make nice notes without them haha. Staples sell them for nearly £10 but there's a huge sale on Tesco and I got it for £2.50!!

Imagine I don't even get into Uni...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

KMN

Which pens are they?
Original post by Zazzzy57
Which pens are they?

Papermate Inkjoy, they write beautifully ahh I'm in love😍

I recommend them to everyone and anyone!

Quick Reply

Latest