Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes email your insurance too.

Have you found any other options for clearing that appeal. Even if BU is your favourite then having a couple of backups will help calm your nerves
    Thanks I'll do that tomorrow 😊

I've looked at Chester and Sheffield Hallam for Advertising, I'm also going to look at Marketing Communications courses. BU have said that if they don't think I'm right for the Advertising course they'll try and offer me an alternative but it's the course I've fallen in love with... I'm just terrified 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    They are in Clearing, of course they will want you if you have the grades.
    Pessimism plus anxiety 😂 I always fear the worst.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking there will be more courses added to the existing clearing list on/after the 18th?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Thanks I'll do that tomorrow 😊

I've looked at Chester and Sheffield Hallam for Advertising, I'm also going to look at Marketing Communications courses. BU have said that if they don't think I'm right for the Advertising course they'll try and offer me an alternative but it's the course I've fallen in love with... I'm just terrified 😂
    Personally I'd advise against Chester, for one you definitely won't get accommodation IIRC and if you do all their accommodation you wouldn't want to live it anyway. It's very, very grotty. Then the city is extortionate to live in.

The university itself is actually okay looking and has some good facilities. But it is one I would tell people to avoid if they can.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Aberdeen is good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Personally I'd advise against Chester, for one you definitely won't get accommodation IIRC and if you do all their accommodation you wouldn't want to live it anyway. It's very, very grotty. Then the city is extortionate to live in.

The university itself is actually okay looking and has some good facilities. But it is one I would tell people to avoid if they can.
    Ah, thanks is it just the accommodation that's an issue? I'd be staying with an external company similar to what it'd be like at BU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakfastbar333)
    Maybe I'm remembering it worse than it actually was
    There was a petition on it lol - but i honestly didnt think it was as bad as people made out to be. I thought it was a standard paper and i actually thought aqa chem u5 was harder but nooone will agree with me on this lol

ReputationRep:
    Chester is a lovely city
    Ah, thanks is it just the accommodation that's an issue? I'd be staying with an external company similar to what it'd be like at BU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Which exam board? I can recommend to my employer that we direct applicants their way if we're able to get gcse results directly this long in advance- we have to wait for applicants to email scans of their results slips on gcse results day to make decisions for gcse resit applicants.

Do they know your university has disclosed your grade to you? A university doing that with A level grades would be in breach of contract with the exam board.
    I haven't been told what grade I got, I just know it was sufficient to meet the conditions of my course.

ReputationRep:
    funny thing is, when doing UCAS I really really wanted to go to the Univesity of Manchester. my heart was completely set on it but the course I applied to had a two part entrance test. the first half was answering questions like "why do you want to study here?" "what do you like about Manchester?" (which is stupid imo) and the second half was relevant to my course, analyse a small sample text and write a short essay on it. on receiving feedback, I was told I did very well on my analysis but my answers were "superficial". okay but honestly, how am I meant to answer "why do I want to study at Manchester?" without sounding superficial! I applied, that should be proof enough!

but I digress, I was heartbroken when I didn't receive an offer. now however, the whole department is basically in clearing and idk how I feel about that. in a way I'm happy so I have a back up I've done adequate research on but on the other hand, I just want to put my middle fingers up to the whole institution and turn my back on it!

I'm happy with my firm and I would love to go there so I really do not want to end up in clearing but the nerves are settling in.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When I looked the accommodation was the biggest issue. The campus was okay but the city was very expensive. You wouldn't have thought it was up north.
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Chester is a lovely city
    Expensive though, I do agree the city is nice I just wouldn't recommend the uni.
    (Original post by MessyEffy)
    funny thing is, when doing UCAS I really really wanted to go to the Univesity of Manchester. my heart was completely set on it but the course I applied to had a two part entrance test. the first half was answering questions like "why do you want to study here?" "what do you like about Manchester?" (which is stupid imo) and the second half was relevant to my course, analyse a small sample text and write a short essay on it. on receiving feedback, I was told I did very well on my analysis but my answers were "superficial". okay but honestly, how am I meant to answer "why do I want to study at Manchester?" without sounding superficial! I applied, that should be proof enough!

but I digress, I was heartbroken when I didn't receive an offer. now however, the whole department is basically in clearing and idk how I feel about that. in a way I'm happy so I have a back up I've done adequate research on but on the other hand, I just want to put my middle fingers up to the whole institution and turn my back on it!

I'm happy with my firm and I would love to go there so I really do not want to end up in clearing but the nerves are settling in.
    TBF if you end up in clearing they won't know and it won't affect them. The ultimate 'middle finger' would be getting in and them needing you.

ReputationRep:
    Up north - I like that but it's south to me lol! It may be expensive because of all the tourists it attracts, Probably a good place to be a student and find a part time job though with all the cafes etc. It can sometimes get a bit hectic at night at the weekends - famous spot for nights out for the north wales set etc,
    (Original post by Aph)
    When I looked the accommodation was the biggest issue. The campus was okay but the city was very expensive. You wouldn't have thought it was up north.

Expensive though, I do agree the city is nice I just wouldn't recommend the uni.

TBF if you end up in clearing they won't know and it won't affect them. The ultimate 'middle finger' would be getting in and them needing you.

ReputationRep:
    I am living by the motto that whatever happens happens for a reason and even if I do badly it could be a blessing in disgiuse as it will motivate me harder to be sucessful. That has kept me calm for now - but that wont hold lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Up north - I like that but it's south to me lol! It may be expensive because of all the tourists it attracts, Probably a good place to be a student and find a part time job though with all the cafes etc. It can sometimes get a bit hectic at night at the weekends - famous spot for nights out for the north wales set etc,
    Yeah, I also didn't like it's party student feel which you aluded to there. But my main issue was the prices. It was basically as expensive as south coast living but was rather grotty (in terms of accommodation and the campus) you could definitely tell you were in the middle of a city.

ReputationRep:
    I study in Manchester so Chester didn't feel like a big city to me - though have to say I don't do that "student lifestyle" that most people seem to crave/enjoy. Where you hoping to head off to?
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yeah, I also didn't like it's party student feel which you aluded to there. But my main issue was the prices. It was basically as expensive as south coast living but was rather grotty (in terms of accommodation and the campus) you could definitely tell you were in the middle of a city.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I study in Manchester so Chester didn't feel like a big city to me - though have to say I don't do that "student lifestyle" that most people seem to crave/enjoy. Where you hoping to head off to?
    I'm hoping for York which dispite being in the city (albeit the suburbs) feels very much like its out in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't want to go to either, both are too big a city for me and are too close to the city center.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by UnknownAnon)
    Anyone know if Aberdeen is good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good in what way? It's a beautiful city, having lived there for 12 years

ReputationRep:
    Didn't have a lot of choices where to study my course - my only options up north (and therefore not too far from home) were Manchester Leeds and Sheffield. My preferred uni style would have been campus and semi rural rather than a city but what can you do if they don't offer the course you want? Good luck for York.
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm hoping for York which dispite being in the city (albeit the suburbs) feels very much like its out in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't want to go to either, both are too big a city for me and are too close to the city center.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    can somebody just pls leak all of the mark schemes like rn
    The Edexcel ones are already here on the first post. Just scroll down a bit to where it says 'Exam Papers & Mark Schemes' in the subtitle.

ReputationRep:
    Considering results day is next week and I'm so excited to buy new stationary!!

Any ideas for essential stationary for university? How do I buy it cheaper? Thanks!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.