Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    When do you expect most jobs for September will start appearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on your subject. I'm teaching English and have been attending interviews since January. The 'peak' period for jobs starts about now until about June.

ReputationRep:
    When do you expect most jobs for September will start appearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm primary in the north east and have so far applied for 3, discounted 5 and am currently sifting through about 15 more adverts deciding which ones I am interested in / suited to.

They've really picked up in the past week or two and I'm seeing far fewer April starts and more September starts now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's quite a lot of September starts. In the North West (where I'm looking) for secondary English there's currently around 80 odd jobs with the majority being September starts.

I suppose the downside to interviews now is that you could be in competition with experienced teachers still whereas from May it will just be NQTs and teachers not on permanent contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    ...whereas from May it will just be NQTs and teachers not on permanent contracts.
    Why's that? And when's that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why's that? And when's that from?
    May half-term is the deadline for teachers handing their notice in.

So if you're already in a job, you can't go to any interviews after then, because you wouldn't be able to leave your current job to start a new one in September.

So the couple of weeks before May half-term are pretty busy with interviews as schools have a more limited pool of applicants to pick from if they wait any longer. But obviously any teachers who get jobs during the May rush then hand their notice in and the post is advertised during/after the half-term so NQTs can go for those too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    May half-term is the deadline for teachers handing their notice in.

So if you're already in a job, you can't go to any interviews after then, because you wouldn't be able to leave your current job to start a new one in September.

So the couple of weeks before May half-term are pretty busy with interviews as schools have a more limited pool of applicants to pick from if they wait any longer. But obviously any teachers who get jobs during the May rush then hand their notice in and the post is advertised during/after the half-term so NQTs can go for those too.
    Okay I see, really explains it. Looks like I'll be having to wait until May. Because I don't think I'll be beating a more experienced applicant to any post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't put yourself down. A lot of the schools I'm interested in specifically want NQTs.

ReputationRep:
    Yep quite a lot of schools would prefer an NQT, especially if the teachers in the department have been there a while. NQT usually means new and refreshing ideas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention the fact that we're cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I see, really explains it. Looks like I'll be having to wait until May. Because I don't think I'll be beating a more experienced applicant to any post.
    Yeah, like other people have said, there are reasons why schools may prefer NQTs.

Financial reasons are a key one, another is that they may hope to mould you to teaching in the way they want (to an extent) rather than coming in with fixed ideas of how things were done in your last school.

It really depends on the situation the school is in. Thinking back to my interviews last year, some chose NQTs and some went for more experienced candidates - in one case it was a department full of younger, less experienced staff, so they probably wanted to balance things out a bit not add another NQT, and in the 2 others it was someone who had previously worked there/was already on supply there, so had established themselves and would be able to settle in to the school's routines quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first ever interview this morning - there were 5 candidates including myself and after we all taught they told one of them to go home so the 4 remaining had the formal interview. I felt the interview went ok but I stumbled on one or two of the questions. The head said he'd ring us all by tonight to tell us the results.

I quite liked the school, the staff were friendly (not all, but most), the pupils in the class I taught were nice, intelligent and respectful.

The downsides is that it's an all girls school and I'd probably prefer mixed (though that wouldn't stop me accepting a job), there's 9 staff in the department and they're ALL female as well (I'm a male), again this wouldn't stop me accepting but would be peculiar!

I've decided that if I get offered it later I'm going to accept. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a job, the school is in a very convenient location to where I live and the vibes I got were mostly good.

If I don't get it then I've had excellent experience, I know what the interview process is more or less about now and I have another opportunity on Wednesday at a school I'd really like to get.

Now to play the waiting game.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job! The head rang me and said I'd really impressed today. Didn't expect to get it on my first interview, I'm very happy

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations :-)

ReputationRep:
    I got the job! The head rang me and said I'd really impressed today. Didn't expect to get it on my first interview, I'm very happy
    Congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! A real achievement

ReputationRep:
    Congrats. You can put your feet up a little now. Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, congratulations! That's fantastic. It will be so nice not to have to worry about it and keep doing applications/planning interview lessons alongside your placement.

ReputationRep:
    Is this actually rewarding enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.