The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by Lyam
Bought my macbook pro. Bought my suit. Got lots of books.
You jelly?

ooo 13" or 15" or 17"? (for the macbook pro I mean... don't get any ideas :tongue:) i5 or i7?

I just ordered mine. 13" so I can lug it around.
So all the money I've been saving for the past 6 months, GONE. But hopefully it'll be worth it because everyone I know that has a macbook loves it.

Now to find a cover.... :ninja:
Reply 3001
Original post by l4ith
Anyone else done prep work? Or am I being extra keen? :moon:

I don't want to know.
DON'T TELL ME THIS.
Original post by Hermione17
Yep, I have done mine :wink: (the preparatory problems for engineers includes 30 pure maths questions, 15 mechanics questions and 12 electricity questions!)

I've done half of them :frown: but I am working full time (last day today).

I'm really disappointed that there is no geek week for engineers particularly as my sister and I have only one big suitcase between us and I was going to have it first, empty it straightaway and give it back to my sister so she can use it.

Now she starts Downing on 1st so she has to have it first and she doesn't do anything in a hurry! I'm arriving on the 2nd.
Reply 3003
Original post by kpatb

I just ordered mine. 13" so I can lug it around.
So all the money I've been saving for the past 6 months, GONE. But hopefully it'll be worth it because everyone I know that has a macbook loves it.

Hmm, I wouldn't say I love it...
Reply 3004
Original post by l4ith
Anyone else done prep work? Or am I being extra keen? :moon:

The mathmo's get a booklet of questions; I have almost finished that :smile: It has 28 questions (I think) but for example 26 has parts i) through x). I amn't bothering with anything else though :smile:
Original post by Got the tshirt
I've done half of them :frown: but I am working full time (last day today).

I'm really disappointed that there is no geek week for engineers particularly as my sister and I have only one big suitcase between us and I was going to have it first, empty it straightaway and give it back to my sister so she can use it.

Now she starts Downing on 1st so she has to have it first and she doesn't do anything in a hurry! I'm arriving on the 2nd.

Don't worry, I know some people who have just started doing them! :wink: Plus, I believe some internationals even haven't received the booklet, and probably won't be bothered to ask for them :rolleyes:. I haven't received it myself, emailed my college about 2 weeks ago and they gave me the password to access it on the web. Oh, how much I hate the postal service here! I think all my letters are lost, coz even the confirmation letter which was supposed to be posted to us on results day hasn't reached me :mad:. But anyway, the admission secretary at Trinity is lovely, she told me what I should have received, so I haven't missed any information so far :biggrin:

A geek week? Sounds cool, but even if there was a geek week, I probably won't be able to attend it coz I booked my flight months ago (to get cheaper fare :colondollar:)

Ah, sharing the suitcase like that is a bit inconvenient. My big suitcase used to be my sister's :wink:

I am arriving a bit earlier than you, coz I will have a loooong journey (about 15 hours on plane, 6 hours transit time (yes, there is no direct flight to UK), and nearly 3 hours on coach :eek:)
Don't worry, I know some people who have just started doing them! :wink: Plus, I believe some internationals even haven't received the booklet, and probably won't be bothered to ask for them :rolleyes:. I haven't received it myself, emailed my college about 2 weeks ago and they gave me the password to access it on the web. Oh, how much I hate the postal service here! I think all my letters are lost, coz even the confirmation letter which was supposed to be posted to us on results day hasn't reached me :mad:. But anyway, the admission secretary at Trinity is lovely, she told me what I should have received, so I haven't missed any information so far :biggrin:

A geek week? Sounds cool, but even if there was a geek week, I probably won't be able to attend it coz I booked my flight months ago (to get cheaper fare :colondollar:)

Ah, sharing the suitcase like that is a bit inconvenient. My big suitcase used to be my sister's :wink:

I am arriving a bit earlier than you, coz I will have a loooong journey (about 15 hours on plane, 6 hours transit time (yes, there is no direct flight to UK), and nearly 3 hours on coach :eek:)

That sounds like a long trek :eek:

I live half an hour away by car (much longer by public transport :frown:).

Can't wait for term to start though I'm going to miss my 3 year old sister.

At least my sister is in a house this year so I'll be able to store some stuff there during holidays and not in our very small house. With two sets of uni stuff and a full size skeleton our house is like an obstacle course.
Original post by Got the tshirt
That sounds like a long trek :eek:

I live half an hour away by car (much longer by public transport :frown:).

Can't wait for term to start though I'm going to miss my 3 year old sister.

At least my sister is in a house this year so I'll be able to store some stuff there during holidays and not in our very small house. With two sets of uni stuff and a full size skeleton our house is like an obstacle course.

Yup. Oh I also forgot to add 1 hour by car from my place to the airport.

I can't wait, too, still excited :biggrin:.

My college has storage room for internationals so I don't have to worry about that :tongue:
Reply 3008

Wow, I am not complaining about my distance from Cambridge anymore :biggrin:

7 hours on flight for me then 2 hours drive :smile:
Reply 3009
Don't worry, I know some people who have just started doing them! :wink: Plus, I believe some internationals even haven't received the booklet, and probably won't be bothered to ask for them :rolleyes:. I haven't received it myself, emailed my college about 2 weeks ago and they gave me the password to access it on the web. Oh, how much I hate the postal service here! I think all my letters are lost, coz even the confirmation letter which was supposed to be posted to :wink:

where r u from? Ur plane time is quite similar to the one from china.
Original post by Amy Luo
where r u from? Ur plane time is quite similar to the one from china.

Hmm good. Looks like the Great Firewall does not filter TSR.

:hello: from a fellow Chinese Cantabrigian
Reply 3011
Original post by ukdragon37
Hmm good. Looks like the Great Firewall does not filter TSR.

:hello: from a fellow Chinese Cantabrigian

Hmmm I'm in uk now. Which part r u?
Original post by Amy Luo
Hmmm I'm in uk now. Which part r u?

I came to the UK 12 years ago. I was from Hubei :smile:
Original post by ukdragon37
I came to the UK 12 years ago. I was from Hubei :smile:

Xiiiiaaaaannnnng, recommend me adecent laptop that isn't too expensive, please!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Xiiiiaaaaannnnng, recommend me adecent laptop that isn't expensive, please!

The skype group should be renamed "Xiang Laptop Advice Corner" :wink:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Xiiiiaaaaannnnng, recommend me adecent laptop that isn't too expensive, please!

Stuck in birmingham right now. Come on late tonight
How do you think I should formulate an e-mail to my Director of Studies concerning my desire to change subject from Linguistics to Modern Languages? Should I give her a carefully composed list of reasons as though I were writing a para-PS for the new subject or do you think I should simply formulate a succinct question about the possibility of making such a change?
Original post by ZuzaMagda
How do you think I should formulate an e-mail to my Director of Studies concerning my desire to change subject from Linguistics to Modern Languages? Should I give her a carefully composed list of reasons as though I were writing a para-PS for the new subject or do you think I should simply formulate a succinct question about the possibility of making such a change?

I think the standard practice is to ask upon immediate arrival in Cambridge. However, I am sure that there would be no harm in simply asking about the procedure. I wouldn't personally write a 'para-PS' because I am sure that your DoS would rather speak to you about the reasons in person.
Original post by ZuzaMagda

It's probably better to discuss it with your DoS when you arrive. You can send an e-mail asking about it but this is something which is better discussed face-to-face. Bear in mind you may not be allowed to switch as well: it depends on the MML DoS.
Original post by Cast.Iron
I think the standard practice is to ask upon immediate arrival in Cambridge. However, I am sure that there would be no harm in simply asking about the procedure. I wouldn't personally write a 'para-PS' because I am sure that your DoS would rather speak to you about the reasons in person.

Which option would you say is better? Writing to her now or speaking to her during our scheduled meeting on the 3rd of October?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending