Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    But as Mackay touched on in the match thread, Derby have been regarded as promotion front runners for a few seasons now, and seemed to be in pole position to go up comfortably. They have arguably the best squad in the league (perhaps only bested by Norwich?) And for them to miss out on playoffs altogether, particularly as they've been up there pretty much all season, would be a pretty big failure it has to be said.
    It probably doesn't help that they've dominated for so long. Especially in the play-off final last season, when they were by far the better team against a lacklustre 10-men QPR side, only for the R's to win via a late smash-and-grab.

There's something psychologically wrong it seems. The same thing happened to Cardiff back in the day. They'd lead the Championship for months and months until around March or April, when they'd implode and lose all momentum before being knocked out at various stages of the play-offs, or missing out on the top six entirely.

Derby's squad is the best in the league, though. No doubt in my mind. For them not to go up - especially with an experienced head like McClaren in charge - would be so disappointing for the fans, the board, the players and the manager.

If Sunderland come down, I can see McClaren moving back up to Teeside/Wearside and trying to shepherd them back into the PL.

ReputationRep:
    I expect the 3 newly promoted teams to be bounced straight back down to the Championship. Shame really, but I'd love to see QPR financially implode & tumble down the leagues.

Bournemouth vs Middlesbrough kicks off in under an hour, and whilst I really want Bournemouth to win and be promoted, I have 'Boro in an acca (along with Leeds, Wednesday & Brentford). Surprised that 'Boro were 23/10 to win, they have the most clean sheets in the league.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not sure what on earth some of you are talking about, because they were always a midtable side under Clough. They've only been competing at the top end since Schteve came in which was at the start of last season. Not remotely comparable to Cardiff bottling the play offs every year.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT A WIN! And what an atmosphere at the Mol last night too, I can feel we are gonna be in the top 6 I really can.

fair to say we got a lucky referee decision, but tbf that makes up for the Bournemouth, Brighton & Watford ones at the very least. Hoping for a Watford win today, and maybe a Forest-Norwich draw.

Oh oh and Richard Stearman has had the greatest transformation that any footballer has ever had, unrecognisable from 3 seasons ago!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    Not sure what on earth some of you are talking about, because they were always a midtable side under Clough. They've only been competing at the top end since Schteve came in which was at the start of last season. Not remotely comparable to Cardiff bottling the play offs every year.
    What I'm saying is they should have had the ability within that squad to be champions of the league this season. But, the psychological hangover of bottling the play-offs last year means that they are probably failing to reach their potential now they reach the end of the season following dominating for so long.

They should have gone up last season but bottled it. They should have gone up this season but bottled it. Will they turn it around next season? I can see the same thing happening. McClaren may yet turn out to be Sunderland's answer to their 'head coach' problem, and they'll struggle getting somebody of his calibre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Absolutely, and personally I'd rather see managers be giving time instead of the relentless sacking culture that seems to be growing these days.

But as Mackay touched on in the match thread, Derby have been regarded as promotion front runners for a few seasons now, and seemed to be in pole position to go up comfortably. They have arguably the best squad in the league (perhaps only bested by Norwich?) And for them to miss out on playoffs altogether, particularly as they've been up there pretty much all season, would be a pretty big failure it has to be said.
    Half of their defence consists of former Cov players, this bottling doesn't surprise me. Still I would say 'be careful what you wish for' with things like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    It probably doesn't help that they've dominated for so long. Especially in the play-off final last season, when they were by far the better team against a lacklustre 10-men QPR side, only for the R's to win via a late smash-and-grab.

There's something psychologically wrong it seems. The same thing happened to Cardiff back in the day. They'd lead the Championship for months and months until around March or April, when they'd implode and lose all momentum before being knocked out at various stages of the play-offs, or missing out on the top six entirely.

Derby's squad is the best in the league, though. No doubt in my mind. For them not to go up - especially with an experienced head like McClaren in charge - would be so disappointing for the fans, the board, the players and the manager.

If Sunderland come down, I can see McClaren moving back up to Teeside/Wearside and trying to shepherd them back into the PL.
    Cardiff spent obscene sums they didn't have every year until they got away with it, their failure was karma. With Derby I sense things are a bit more pragmatic, hopefully they won't make any rash decisions in the summer if it doesn't work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth leading 'Boro 1-0 at HT. Wilson has been phenomenal, must've drawn half a dozen fouls on himself and won the penalty. Middlesbrough struggling to deal with them.

Blackpool stone dead bottom of the table, form table & leaked the most goals this season & Clarke has told his players "they're already down". If we don't win, and don't win convincingly, I'll be very disappointed

ReputationRep:
    In two games' time Blackpool gonna be relegated

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth lead 2-0 and what an absolute screamer it was too!

ReputationRep:
    Wilson is bossing this game. Boro fans would probably have taken 6 points from this week though..?

ReputationRep:
    Very annoyed to not keep a clean sheet and drop points against the whipping boys. The consistency needs work

ReputationRep:
    But for 90th minute goals us, Brentford & Mad Mick would all be stuck on 65.

Still the clawing back continues. 8 points, 7 points, 6 points, 4 points, 3 points and now just 2!

ReputationRep:
    Crap at football, rugby and cricket. England and specifically Coventry is not the place to be born for sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a performance from Bournemouth. The penalty, of course, wasn't one. In fact, Howe seemed embarrassed even having to analyse it in his post-match interview. What a second goal, though. Arter's a hell of a player. Great result for them and they keep on romping towards promotion. I'd love to see them in the PL - purely for the intimate surroundings of the Goldsands, among other things. Callum Wilson has been a great player for them all season after his move to Coventry, and he's definitely earning his place in the U21s setup.

ReputationRep:
    7 goals scored after 90 minutes, 11 goals scored after 80 minutes, incredible.

Rotherham were leading Wednesday 1-0 up to the 86th minute & that game finished 2-3! Wigan, Brentford & Ipswich also snatched points at the death.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez Mk II: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32005492

ReputationRep:
    Another 90th min goal conceded. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    Not the first time... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26548426

ReputationRep:
    We won 2-7, this season has been mental! Twice this season we've scored 7 goals, once this season we've conceded 7 goals and both times we conceded more than once winning 7-4 and 2-7 respectively.

Football man :lol:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.