Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    Serena wins another slam. :yawn: I have to give credit where credit is due though. She is too good. Sharapova played brilliantly, possibly the best she could have played but Serena at her best is unbeatable. What a serving performance by Williams. Her serve is better than some of the men players such as Ferrer. Good final.
    Its also better than Nadals I swear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Its also better than Nadals I swear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Murray and Nadal have never met in a Slam final, maybe the best chance of seeing this would be at the US Open.
    I think it's possible at the french open. Of course Andy will need a relatively easy to draw to the final. But if he can somehow avoid Novak and roger before the final, I think he has a great chance of getting to the final. He's slightly weaker on clay, but still very good, isn't he? He does have the skilll set to achieve a lot on clay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    I think it's possible at the french open. Of course Andy will need a relatively easy to draw to the final. But if he can somehow avoid Novak and roger before the final, I think he has a great chance of getting to the final. He's slightly weaker on clay, but still very good, isn't he? He does have the skilll set to achieve a lot on clay.
    Andy is good on clay and has shown glimpses of excellence on the surface, but sadly he's 1-10 lifetime against top 10 opponents on the surface. He'll need his draw to really open up if he wants to get past the semis.
    I can see Roger not making the final at this stage in his career, but probably not Novak. Also the small possibility of Rafa himself getting upset.
    Well, I think it's likeliest at the US Open - should also be the most competitive on hard courts

ReputationRep:
    Can't see Murray suddenly winning the FO this late in his career after never having reached a final.

I can see why people think Murray should do well on clay but he's never given me reason to think he'd do it.

Though it works the other way too. You'd not expect Del Potro to be good on clay but he's had some crackers at the FO and won smaller tournaments.

Nikishori should be pretty good on clay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good luck, Andy. Not holding out much hope.

ReputationRep:
    Since there's a high possibility that the roof will be closed for the final who do people think that'll be advantageous for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Since there's a high possibility that the roof will be closed for the final who do people think that'll be advantageous for?
    Novak. He hasn't lost a match indoors since 2012 I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Even if he avoids Novak and Roger at the french open, he probably still won't be making the finals. The likes of Ferrer, Berdych, Wawrinka, Tsonga, Gasquet, Nishikori, Raonic, Del Potro and Almagro are all better than him on clay and have a legitimate chance of beating him so we won't probably see Murray-Nadal final at the french open. The best chance of that happening is at the US Open.

ReputationRep:
    Even if he avoids Novak and Roger at the french open, he probably still won't be making the finals. The likes of Ferrer, Berdych, Wawrinka, Tsonga, Gasquet, Nishikori, Raonic, Del Potro and Almagro are all better than him on clay and have a legitimate chance of beating him so we won't probably see Murray-Nadal final at the french open. The best chance of that happening is at the US Open.
    I wouldn't say Raonic, Gasquet, Berdych, Almagro are better than Murray on clay - just that they have a great shot at beating him, considering its his weakest surface.But I agree the best chance of Murray-Nadal would be at the US Open.

As a sidenote, one of the things to rue about Del Potro and his chronic injuries is that to me he looked like one of the guys before Djokovic (to me at least) to break Rafa's stranglehold over the clay of Roland Garros. I wrote Delpo off a lot before his match in 2009 against Federer at the French Open, where he was unfortunate not to win, but that match convinced me he would be a future champion in Paris.He's a remarkably natural clay court player and has the physical power to hit through on the surface. It's therefore sad that he hasn't had the consistent chance year in year out to make a good run on the clay.

Thought I wouldn't, but I am actually getting excited now about the final - I'm not rooting for anyone in particular, but it's just the occasion of a men's Grand Slam final that is unequalled in sport for me.

ReputationRep:
    Novak. He hasn't lost a match indoors since 2012 I believe.
    It's phenomenal. That lone loss came in 2012 against Sam Querrey at the Paris Masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    It's phenomenal. That lone loss came in 2012 against Sam Querrey at the Paris Masters.
    His consistency is really remarkable. He has taken over from Federer in that department.

Regarding Delpo, I felt the same way. After RG 2009 I thought that if he is to win a slam, it would be at the French open but of course he would surprise us all just three months later. A real shame about his never ending wrist injury. He recently had another operation. Who knows how long will he be out for this time.

ReputationRep:
    Come on Murray!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Novak playing godly so far

ReputationRep:
    Murray started aggressive but has shrunk back. Has to put more on his second serve. Djokovic's level is pretty incredible right now though.

ReputationRep:
    Murray really just wasted 2 BPs there.

ReputationRep:
    Guys Nole tiring himself out by playing 100% ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Murray breaks thank God! I still believe Number 3 is on its way

ReputationRep:
    Murray's first serve isn't anything special. Why does he drop the pace off it when he is more than capable of serving big? He ain't gonna get away by rolling serves against the best returner in the game.

ReputationRep:
    Murray's first serve isn't anything special. Why does he drop the pace off it when he is more than capable of serving big? He ain't gonna get away by rolling serves against the best returner in the game.
    Spinning it in sometimes makes it harder, but murray is level with Nole on serve he can still win the set and match I believ3

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.