The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Those of you who get UCL replies in the last couple of days, did your portico update before hand or was it on application received until you got the reply?
Really confused with what uni to firm!Bristol or Nottingham(If I don't get an offer from Warwick)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JPD96
Those of you who get UCL replies in the last couple of days, did your portico update before hand or was it on application received until you got the reply?

Still on application received mate
Original post by Skill Twix
Really confused with what uni to firm!Bristol or Nottingham(If I don't get an offer from Warwick)

Bristol:biggrin:
Original post by Aso816
Bristol:biggrin:
Well I've applied for Economics and finance at Bristol.On results day,(if I chose Bristol),I might switch for the straight Economics course using UCAS adjustment.Nottingham's ranking though!I might go for the open days!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JPD96

Portico hasn't changed , neither has ucas track. They contact you via email :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3006
Original post by pat.bateman
I hope so too :tongue:
What are your stats btw?

8 A*s, 3 As GCSE, AAAB at AS (maths, economics, biology, chemistry), plus A in EPQ. Predicted A*A*A.

Got an offer from Warwick, they've been so weird as people with better stats than me got rejected :confused::confused:
Not complaining though!

What about you?
Reply 3007
Well I've applied for Economics and finance at Bristol.On results day,(if I chose Bristol),I might switch for the straight Economics course using UCAS adjustment.Nottingham's ranking though!I might go for the open days!

One of my friends is an investment banker and before I applied I asked him which was better between Bristol and Nottingham. He said Nottingham was 100% better. Obviously this only applies if that's the kind of career path you want to follow
Seeing as though this is about 2015 Econ applications - could anyone help with my Econ-course related question?: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53757995&highlight=

Original post by HBS_34
8 A*s, 3 As GCSE, AAAB at AS (maths, economics, biology, chemistry), plus A in EPQ. Predicted A*A*A.

Got an offer from Warwick, they've been so weird as people with better stats than me got rejected :confused::confused:
Not complaining though!

What about you?

GCSE: 5a* 7a
AS: 4As
A2 Predicted: 3A*

Warwick have been insanely popular this year. 10:1 offer rate?!
I think Warwick/UCL have started giving out loads more offers lately since most Oxbridge guys have rejected them already.
UCL vs LSE?

I'm exactly in the same situation. :confused:
Original post by oreoenthusiast
UCL vs LSE?

LSE, without a doubt.
Original post by oreoenthusiast
UCL vs LSE?

I think the thing is that both are really good however their biggest negative (positive for some) is that they are in london so since they both share the negative LSE is clearly a no brainier since it is the better Uni overall for Econ. Of course if you want to do a year abroad UCL has an advantage so you must take that into account as well.

Overall I would say LSE since for the average Joe they get it when you say you studied Econ at the London School of Econ, giving it an advantage but it is not all about reputation.

To be honest with offers from both LSE and UCL you can't really go wrong as they are both so good you are really comparing diamonds. Of course if you go to one and you hate it you can always transfer (which is very easy to do these days) so it isn't a 'be all end all decision'.

Good luck and just try and think about the place you will be the most happy in!!
Original post by Aquaxo
Seeing as though this is about 2015 Econ applications - could anyone help with my Econ-course related question?: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53757995&highlight=

Interesting question I think it depends on the university, some courses like at LSE are very mathematical whilst others are less so like Birmingham. You really need to look at the individual universities and also go to open days, most directly address your query. I would say however that if you can get an A/A* in maths you should be good enough to to Economics at most places.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Puffin Boffin
I think the thing is that both are really good however their biggest negative (positive for some) is that they are in london so since they both share the negative LSE is clearly a no brainier since it is the better Uni overall for Econ. Of course if you want to do a year abroad UCL has an advantage so you must take that into account as well.

Overall I would say LSE since for the average Joe they get it when you say you studied Econ at the London School of Econ, giving it an advantage but it is not all about reputation.

To be honest with offers from both LSE and UCL you can't really go wrong as they are both so good you are really comparing diamonds. Of course if you go to one and you hate it you can always transfer (which is very easy to do these days) so it isn't a 'be all end all decision'.

Good luck and just try and think about the place you will be the most happy in!!

i would say LSE And Oxbridge are at the same level. UCL, Warwick and Durham are probably one level below but there aren't much difference in terms of academic wise. I would like to have a LSE offer although it seems to be impossible (got a UCL open day invitation tho) given it is 1 out of 20 for applicants per places
Original post by Aso816
i would say LSE And Oxbridge are at the same level. UCL, Warwick and Durham are probably one level below but there aren't much difference in terms of academic wise. I would like to have a LSE offer although it seems to be impossible (got a UCL open day invitation tho) given it is 1 out of 20 for applicants per places

Agreed although the study abrod is the thing that ucl has over lse/oxbridge
Original post by Puffin Boffin

I don't mind that they're in London but I know that LSE has a reputation of not really being as relaxed or like, social as other universities whereas UCL has a lot more of a social life, parties clubbing etc. Do you have an LSE offer/ have you firmed LSE?
Original post by MrBowcat
LSE, without a doubt.

Is it your firm? Where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending