Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. watch

ReputationRep:
    Going to spend an hour on a history essay, and then do a Latin translation.

ReputationRep:
    I've done a C4 paper today, tomorrow I'll finish all my psychology notes

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any good study motivation apps ?

I have a samsung phone which has a default pedometer and fitness tracking app and I've become much more committed to my health since getting my phone. The "well done" notifications when I reach my daily goal and the way I can track my improvement over time is really cool.

If there were only something like that for uni! I have an app called "Attendance Manager" which helps motivate me to attend all my lectures (I'm a law student and none of the lectures are compulsory but it's a really good idea to go) but there are no notifications and I can't track my reading or revision on it. I think something like a countdown timer to exams and essay deadline dates would also be so helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Well, good evening! It's the 26th April and that means some of us only have ONE WEEK until our exams start. Eek. >.< As a result, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide you all with some advice that may (or at least, I hope) be a little helpful to a few of you:

Studying + Motivation.

Getting tired from revision is only natural and happens to almost all of us. When you're lacking in motivation, sometimes the best thing to do is take a few days off. This may sound ridiculous bc time is running out but your brain needs a break too! During your time off, you shouldn't think about any form of revision whatsoever. Just do things you enjoy and spend it with friends and family and you will feel much more motivated to start up again afterwards. It's a whole lot better than trying to force yourself to do something which will only result in inefficiency.

Additionally, if you're struggling to focus then you might want to ask a family member to keep hold of what's distracting you until you complete a certain task. If it means that you are working as a result then just do it. :woohoo:

There are many motivation/revision apps that are incredibly helpful and if you have a smartphone/tablet/whatever then I would strongly urge that you make the most of them!

The three that I like the most are:
    • "Focus." (What's more satisfying than building your own mini forest.. :moon: ) I've got it downloaded on my phone and laptop and you can sync the sessions you complete on each device to one another and it's simply brilliant! It's such a cute app. :'3
    • "Cold turkey". I have it on all my devices. I find it seriously, seriously helpful on my phone. I can't even access my home screen when I've got it on which means there's nothing else I can do but revise!
    • "Gleeo time tracker" I think I've already mentioned the time tracker in the past but it's quite honestly my favourite revision app bc I am able to see exactly where I need to spend more time and it also makes me feel guilty when I realise how little hours I may have done on a particular week which motivates me to try harder the next week and it's just greatttt.

Sleep.

I'm sure we all realise that sleep is a v important aspect, if not the most important part of our revision and in order for you to be at your best you must go to sleep at reasonable hours. Of course, there are times when you might feel like staying up will enable you to complete more work but it's going to do more damage than good. I would personally recommend going to bed at 12:00am at the latest then getting up at 7:00am everyday (including weekends :ninjagirl: ) until your exams are over. Don't do any all night-ers. It is certainly not going to benefit you in any way whatsoever. Don't go on your phone until ridiculous hours of the morning. Infact, put your phone + any other potential distracting technology stuff downstairs as soon as it gets to bedtime period. It requires willpower but I believe you can do it. Instead of scrolling through your latest twitter feed or reading TSR threads before rest, you should perhaps read through a revision guide/flashcards instead. Obviously, you don't need to start an extreme memorizing session whilst half asleep in bed, but simply reading through with ease then going to sleep will be beneficial in the long run!

Food.

Food is fab! :cookie: ... but I see so many people consuming excess amounts of unhealthy snacks/ energy drinks to keep themselves going during exam season which is awful. That is simply not the way forward. I would say that fruits/bread (ohmyg, i'm currently living off bread sticks. Brioche is also v good) /eggs/wraps are better alternatives. Also, make sure you're always hydrated. This means drinking water throughout your revision. Lots of water. Water is great! It is incredibly important to keep your brain fuelled with goodness bc the better food your brain gets, the better you will study.

Study leave.

This is probably my favourite part of exam season simply bc I can study how I want + when I want without having any commitments that I find to be wasteful hours of time. You should make the most of this period by getting up early! The earlier you get up, the more time you will have in your day. I know how tempting it is to want a few extra hours of sleep but if, for example, you wake up at 6/7/8am and study until 12:00am taking 10 minute breaks after every hour, you'd have already done at least 4 hours of revision and the day hasn't even properly began. Imagine how great you'll feel afterwards.

The night before the exam.

Nervous, Scared, Exhausted, GOD-DAMN FED UP. Many emotions may be running through your mind at this point but try and retain a peace of mind. Set an alarm for the following day. Prepare your necessary exam equipment in advance. Check where you're going to be sitting on your school website to prevent inducing levels of exam-stress to run through you. You want to be making the process as easy as possible for yourself and this means being organized. So if you're one of those people that are constantly doing things at the last minute then now is the time to change that. This is also the last chance you'll get to refresh your mind of any formulae and vital content so I, personally am going to be filling my day with intense cramming sessions.

The morning of the exam.

Breathe, breathe and breathe. You've done all you can, you've tried your absolute best and now you must face what awaits you. Get up early to avoid any rush or panic. You don't want to be adding extra stress to your day bc you couldn't do this supposedly simple thing. Make sure you get yourself a big breakfast then just.. think about rabbits.

Seriously. :bunny:

I wouldn't recommend reading over any notes or trying to cram anything else at this point. - Just relax.

The procedure of the exam.

So you've arrived at school and everyone is queuing up outside the exam hall and placing their belongings at the registration point. If you want to sit somewhere by yourself and ignore everyone else, it is okay. If you want to have a chat with your friends, it is also okay. If you want to speak to your subject teachers, then do that too. The thing you've got to remember is to do whatever makes you feel most calm. You don't want to enter the hall feeling worried bc you've been talking to people who have just discussed nucleophillic substitution reactions which are on the brink of the syllabus and now you're doubting yourself bc you're not sure whether you've revised enough and you end up questioning your entire life and have a mini-break down at your desk whilst attempting to avoid eye contact with the invigilators.

No.

Bad idea.

If avoiding people will ensure you are level-headed then do it. Sometimes being a little bit selfish is required and if it's going to be best for you then don't be afraid to be that way. Most importantly, enter the hall with a positive mind frame. Positivity can genuinely make all the difference to what you produce in those 60 minutes.

After the exam.

Gosh, it's all finally over! You can( temporarily) celebrate! The relief may be overwhelming but I would say that you should simply forget about what just happened in that hall and focus on your next exam. Make sure you treat yourself for all your hard work though. Self-love is an important thing. :fluffy:
    • If you feel it went badly: What you've got to remember is there's still lots more to do to make up for it. It isn't the end of the world, you have other units/modules, you tried your hardest and unfortunately it didn't go your way. Don't lose hope bc in all honesty, it most likely didn't go as bad as you thought it did. Talk to someone about it if you feel like you should. If you need to take some time out to cry over what just happened or consume excess amounts of chocolate before beginning your next revision session then do it. Just remember you have the strength to get through whatever obstacle comes your way and a blip in a paper is not going to stop you from achieving what you want.
    • On the other hand, if you feel it went well and you aced the paper then go you! All the hard work you did paid off and you can embrace the confidence you're feeling and scream from the rooftops of TSR headquarters. :nutcase: Hopefully you'll continue the streak of brilliance throughout the rest of the exams.
    Ooh, for all you Maths people- try to avoid looking at Arsey's online mark scheme after the exam. Its tempting.. BUT DON'T DO IT. O_O (Unless you're absolutely sure you got 100%, ofc.. in which case look as much as you want and boost that ego! :ahee: )

Finally, please don't worry too much. :'3 Anything is achievable provided you hold the right mindset. I believe in you all, you are all very capable students and you can do this! If anyone needs someone to prompt them with revision on a daily basis bc they're finding it difficult to keep motivated or if you require any help whatsoever regarding studying or even if you just want to have a rant about any things that are bothering you bc you need to get it off your chest in order to be able to concentrate on your A-levels/GCSEs then pls feel free to tag/quote me in this thread and I shall do my best to help when I can. It may feel like I'm not around atm, but I promise I'm still here.

Wish every single one of you the very best for these upcoming weeks. ~

<3

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to calmly make psychology notes

(Original post by Anon_98)
    Study leave.

This is probably my favourite part of exam season simply bc I can study how I want + when I want without having any commitments that I find to be wasteful hours of time. You should make the most of this period by getting up early! The earlier you get up, the more time you will have in your day. I know how tempting it is to want a few extra hours of sleep but if, for example, you wake up at 6/7/8am and study until 12:00am taking 10 minute breaks after every hour, you'd have already done at least 4 hours of revision and the day hasn't even properly began. Imagine how great you'll feel afterwards.
    I hope I get study leave this year, I hear rumours that my school won't be doing it because it "doesn't work" which is just frankly complete bs if you actually plan to REVISE :unimpressed:

Wish every single one of you the very best for these upcoming weeks. ~

<3
    :hugs:Luckily I got over a month till my first one, maths (M1) AND psychology (G543) on the 8th June! God help me in those 3.5 hours :lol: When's your first one?

ReputationRep:
    got my T.M chem test back (87%)

gonna a ms1b paper ( havent done one in a while)
    then plant cloning notes till 10 pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    I hope I get study leave this year, I hear rumours that my school won't be doing it because it "doesn't work" which is just frankly complete bs if you actually plan to REVISE :unimpressed:
    Aw no, I v much hope you get study leave too! - Rumours aren't usually always true so hopefully that won't be the case. I don't know what I'd do without study leave, entirely agree aha.

:hugs:Luckily I got over a month till my first one, maths (M1) AND psychology (G543) on the 8th June! God help me in those 3.5 hours :lol: When's your first one?
    Oh right I see, yes that is v lucky. XD But 3.5hrs sounds deadly, I thought my 2.5hr B5 exam was bad enough. I have faith that you'll manage it though! + my first one is on the 18th May.

:hugs: <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Oh right I see, yes that is v lucky. XD But 3.5hrs sounds deadly, I thought my 2.5hr B5 exam was bad enough. I have faith that you'll manage it though! + my first one is on the 18th May.

:hugs: <3
    Omg I just checked again and I have another 3.5 hour day the Tuesday after :bricks: I completely forgot about this! I really don't like the spacing out of my exams, they're too bunched up >.<

ReputationRep:
    Christ you guys are motivated. havent done anything in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone an OCR A chemistry a2er ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habzi)
    :hi:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I can't deal with OCR A2 psychology, I legit can't do anything, I'm going to bed :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habzi)
    *raises hand in shame*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna try to do more psychology notes, I'm feeling more up for it today now that I've found a good resource to help me

(Original post by habzi)
    How are you finding the course? I need NMR practice, there's always one peak that stops me from getting the compound :lol:

ReputationRep:
    NMR time! >.>

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to do a chem paper today

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to do a chem paper today
    Hey, how did you get on with NMR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTeresaLover)
    Quite well, thanks for asking Deffo need more practice on bigger molecules though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTeresaLover)
    How's your revision going?

ReputationRep:
    Quite well, thanks for asking Deffo need more practice on bigger molecules though
    Good to hear! Aah, yes practice makes it better. Our teacher gave us nine 8-20 markers on NMR where the questions get you to figure out the structure of some horrible molecules! Quite worth it though!

All the best with your revision!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.