Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'll answer the ones I can:

(Original post by marethyu)
    are there any non-college specific central bike racks to keep bikes e.g at downing site or at the uni library?
    Yes there a bike racks at the other university sites such as faculties and the UL, as well as public ones in the streets in the city centre.

are we allowed to leave cambridge overnight or just for the day on weekends during term-time to visit home?
    I haven't but you can. Absolutely there is zero problem with leaving for the day (if you live close enough) and other than having to be more organised with your work schedule there is not a problem with going overnight.

is there anything to do in freshers week if you don't drink alcohol-everything I've seen is very drink orientated?
    I would imagine the freshers' reps (or whatever they're called at the different colleges) will put together some activities for non-drinkers/people who aren't into going out to clubs. In all fairness there are people who drink alcohol but don't like going clubbing and there are people who don't mind clubbing but don't drink, but colleges should organise a variety of events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanooblol)
    I did whole of further maths this year, having already done maths. How did you find S2 and FP2? Full ums fo S2 is probs 72, what about full ums for FP2?
    Oh you're one of those people that brings up the FP1 grade boundaries, thanks xD -_-

Nah jk, and S2 was piss easy, should be 71 or 72 for full (that "monotonic" question or whatever, I'd never seen before, so I assume a lot are in the same boat) and I completely messed up FP2 (things such as just calculating the wrong area, simple arithmetic mistakes -_-) but it seemed quite tough, defo lower than last year (i hope tbh, probs only got around 59/72 LOL) I'd guess 69-70 for full UMS and each grade 4 marks down ish

ReputationRep:
    Can a college put you in the summerpool and if not fished pick you back up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Can a college put you in the summerpool and if not fished pick you back up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That happens in the Winter Pool so I don't see why not for the Summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Oh you're one of those people that brings up the FP1 grade boundaries, thanks xD -_-

Nah jk, and S2 was piss easy, should be 71 or 72 for full (that "monotonic" question or whatever, I'd never seen before, so I assume a lot are in the same boat) and I completely messed up FP2 (things such as just calculating the wrong area, simple arithmetic mistakes -_-) but it seemed quite tough, defo lower than last year (i hope tbh, probs only got around 59/72 LOL) I'd guess 69-70 for full UMS and each grade 4 marks down ish

Yeah I'm one of those people
    Those boundaries sound like what I thought as well. I calculated the wrong area as well :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanooblol)
    Yeah I'm one of those people
    Those boundaries sound like what I thought as well. I calculated the wrong area as well :/
    I made 1 super basic mistake, like clearly a mistake, in my FP1 exam and got 90 UMS, what sort of logic is that xD Grade boundaries urgh

I don't know why but FP2 was the first ever exam where I just massively messed up, way underachieved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That happens in the Winter Pool so I don't see why not for the Summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks
    I have no clue why but no I am weirdly excited for the summer pool seeing as I will most likely be in it or direct accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    I made 1 super basic mistake, like clearly a mistake, in my FP1 exam and got 90 UMS, what sort of logic is that xD Grade boundaries urgh

I don't know why but FP2 was the first ever exam where I just massively messed up, way underachieved
    Haha yeah it's brutal. Although, our FP1 paper this year was a bit harder, and I think I only lost two marks anyway so may even manage full ums on that paper.
    Well 59/72 isn't even that bad, especially when you have other modules to bring up your average ums.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I have no clue why but no I am weirdly excited for the summer pool seeing as I will most likely be in it or direct accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you like swimming?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    inb4 you get pooled to Churchill

hi :hi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    inb4 you get pooled to Churchill

hi :hi:
    No thanks. Rather go clearing. Soz.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No thanks. Rather go clearing. Soz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    bye :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a few questions I'd like to ask:
    where are all the medicine lectures/practicals held?
    The practicals are at the Downing Site and the lectures are divided between there and the Sidgwick Site (possibly moving due to renovations, you might have some at the New Museums Site)

are there any non-college specific central bike racks to keep bikes e.g at downing site or at the uni library?
    Yes, every site has plenty of bike racks

are we allowed to leave cambridge overnight or just for the day on weekends during term-time to visit home?
    You can, but you need permission from the Porters and you need to make sure you spend a certain number of weeks in college per term. In reality people don't tell them and as long as there isn't a fire alarm they won't know - but if there was you'd be in big trouble

is there anything to do in freshers week if you don't drink alcohol-everything I've seen is very drink orientated?
    You can do everything that people who drink do, just without drinking! Plenty of things in Fresher's week don't involve alcohol

...and most importantly, would this be a suitable bike lock or is it too rubbish: http://www.tesco.com/direct/bike-d-l...skuId=600-8931
    Thanks
    Looks perfect

ReputationRep:
    I am worried sick, it's like my body is 24/7 in fight-or-flight mode. Guess not gonna be able to sleep today either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    I am worried sick, it's like my body is 24/7 in fight-or-flight mode. Guess not gonna be able to sleep today either.
    oh well at least it's over in 2 days
    you got this fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I normally treat philosophical thought with suspicion but you know what, I am starting to feel quite excited.

On thursday morning we either find out we have gotten into Cambridge (obviously good), or that we haven't. Now maybe it is just because I have convinced myself that I have missed my offer, but the latter doesn't scare me. Reading the bad news would not suddenly strip us of knowledge or make us lazy or demotivated (unless we let it). These qualities matter far more (to me atleast) than going to Cambridge specifically.

PS I am sure you have all smashed your offers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    I normally treat philosophical thought with suspicion but you know what, I am starting to feel quite excited.

On thursday morning we either find out we have gotten into Cambridge (obviously good), or that we haven't. Now maybe it is just because I have convinced myself that I have missed my offer, but the latter doesn't scare me. Reading the bad news would not suddenly strip us of knowledge or make us lazy or demotivated (unless we let it). These qualities matter far more (to me atleast) than going to Cambridge specifically.

PS I am sure you have all smashed your offers anyway.
    I agree with you. I am also excited for results day, but I am also so afraid if I had failed. Whatever happens after Thursday, whether I am in Cambridge or rejected, I will continue working through IA. The only difference would be that if I do miss my offer, I would need to plan any other studies (except IA) that I would do this year when re-applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gonna try and go to sleep now. Good night to anyone still lurking this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Step is tmmrw. Wow whoah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Step is tmmrw. Wow whoah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.