Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    can somebody just pls leak all of the mark schemes like rn
    The Edexcel ones are already here on the first post. Just scroll down a bit to where it says 'Exam Papers & Mark Schemes' in the subtitle.

ReputationRep:
    Considering results day is next week and I'm so excited to buy new stationary!!

Any ideas for essential stationary for university? How do I buy it cheaper? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    The new remark system is not fair for subjects like English Lit, it is so heavily subjective... Is a remark even worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    The new remark system is not fair for subjects like English Lit, it is so heavily subjective... Is a remark even worth it?
    What's new /how's it harsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashbosh123)

Any ideas for essential stationary for university? How do I buy it cheaper? Thanks!!
    OMG I literally bought my favourite pens from Tesco today! lmao they're colour papermate pens and I cannot revise or make nice notes without them haha. Staples sell them for nearly £10 but there's a huge sale on Tesco and I got it for £2.50!!

Imagine I don't even get into Uni...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOL

KMN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyEffy)
    OMG I literally bought my favourite pens from Tesco today! lmao they're colour papermate pens and I cannot revise or make nice notes without them haha. Staples sell them for nearly £10 but there's a huge sale on Tesco and I got it for £2.50!!

Imagine I don't even get into Uni...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOL

KMN
    Which pens are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zazzzy57)
    Which pens are they?
    Papermate Inkjoy, they write beautifully ahh I'm in love😍

I recommend them to everyone and anyone!

ReputationRep:
    Are you AS or A2? AS
    What subjects are you taking? Government & Politics, History, Spanish & German
    To which university are you hoping to go? UCL (fingers crossed massively)
    To study which subject? IR/German/Spanish would be the dream......
    What grades are required for your desired degree? A*AA
    How did your exams go? Meh I don't really know tbh, really need 3 As at AS which I think I might have just managed but we'll have to see...
    How are you feeling about results day? Nervous but I'm not constantly thinking about it, probs a bit more nervous than at GCSE because more rides on it and it's less results/exams so you obsess over it more - but I'm just trying not to think about it. Being here doesn't really help haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Yeah I wonder as well like I said here.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by MoonVirgo)
    Does anyone know how humanities exams would be marked under the new remark system? I really can’t figure out how the change is going to work out for essay-based subjects. If their point is to remove subjectivity because reviewers have been lenient and been ‘finding marks to give’ (in their definition, ‘the exercise of academic judgement’), then I see a massive ‘bug’ here. I don’t see how it’s possible for essay-based subjects like Geography to be marked without ‘the exercise of academic judgement’. The rewarding of a mark is always somebody’s judgement. This is because the mark schemes are only ‘indicative content’ and ‘descriptors’ of levels; and then within each level there is a range of marks that can be given. Things as small as whether to give a 10-marker 6 or 7/10 is a subjective judgement or ‘feel’ on its own already: both marks are Level 2, then what differentiates the two? Does it depend on how many of the bullet-points in the ‘indicative content’ they have hit? Or does it depend on how many of the descriptors they have met? Don’t the descriptors themselves have a ranking of importance (e.g. ‘cogent argument’ weighs more than ‘carefully structured’)? Does this mean that if an answer is not ‘cogent’ but is ‘carefully structured’, then it’d be 6/10; and if it’s ‘cogent’ but less structured, then it’d get 7/10? Now then who defines ‘cogent’ or ‘carefully’? If there are discrepancies between the marker and the reviewer, even if the reviewer has found evidence in the answer for it to get 7/10 instead of the initial 6, then will this be dismissed as ‘subjective judgement’ under the new system? (That 1-mark difference between a 6 and a 7 is worth 2-3 UMS in a 120 UMS paper, and that can mean an increase of a grade if it's at the boundary.) Here’s where it doesn’t make sense to me: the entire marking, be it the initial one or the remark, can’t possibly be done without someone’s qualitative ‘judgement’. This has already gone to show that there is no way to quantify anything at all; even for more knowledge-based humanities exams, under all of the 4 or 5-markers there is a small line saying ‘accept any reasonable ideas’. No one can stick to the mark scheme 100% and at the same time mark a humanities paper FAIRLY. So doesn’t this new system make things even more unfair, as it implies in their definition that a ‘marking error’ is when the ‘criteria against which a Learner’s performance is differentiated’ is not applied, i.e. the mark scheme is not applied? The ‘application’ of the mark scheme for a humanities exam includes applying that line ‘accept any reasonable ideas’ as well. If a reviewer sees a ‘reasonable’ point (in his ‘own judgement’, again) in an answer and gives that candidate extra credit, then who is to judge whether that is a correction of a ‘marking error’ (by their very own definition) or ‘leniency’? Would really appreciate it if someone can explain. :please:
    I hope Ofqual can clarify so that we can decide on our course of action. If we go for a remark, they can only correct 'marking errors', meaning that the initial marking must have deviated from the mark scheme in order to be considered an 'error'. But for English, the mark scheme is just criteria/descriptors and it's marked by 'levels', so in our case a 'marking error' would be that we did meet a criterion with our answers but the initial marker didn't see it and so didn't credit us. I imagine when we send for a remark, if the reviewer sees (now, he mustn't deliberately go 'find' it cos it'd then be considered 'leniency' or 'finding marks to give', which is what the new system tries to prevent) 'evidence' in our answers that we have met that criterion, which the original marker missed out, then the 'marking error' will be corrected and we will be awarded.

But yes this entire thing for humanities subjects is a bug, cos the marking of essay-based subject is always someone's subjective judgement i.e. the marker and the reviewer's own idea of what counts as having met that criterion in question.

But personally I'd still send for a remark if I desperately needed it in the hope that they have finally realised the new system can't be properly implemented into essay-based subjects and so they'd go remark it the same way as before lol.

(Original post by qosin)
    What's new /how's it harsh?
    The official document is here:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [/QUOTE]
    Here's my analysis/interpretation of it:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by MoonVirgo)
    Here’s the official definition for ‘marking errors’ in an exam. (See Postcount 2380 for the original document) This definition itself is one long 112-word sentence. I’m trying to break it down, and my interpretations are bold in brackets in corresponding colours with their referent sections of the original text. Hopefully it's not too messy to read and hopefully I get it right but if anything at all please do correct me.

Marking and Moderation Errors:
    The awarding of a mark or the arrival at an outcome of Moderation(the marking) which could not reasonably have been given or arrived at given the evidence generated by the Learner (our answers) (and for Moderation, the centre’s marking of that evidence), the criteria against which Learner’s performance is differentiated (the mark schemes, or similar) and any procedures of the awarding organisation in relation to Moderation or marking, including in particular where the awarding of a mark or outcome of moderation is based on (clerical errors made by markers): an Administrative Error, a failure to apply such criteria and procedures (when the mark scheme says yes but the marker didn’t tick it, or vice versa) to the evidence generated by the Learner (our matching answers that deserve more marks according to the mark schemes than originally given, or the other way around) where that failure did not involve the exercise of academic judgment (‘benefit of the doubt’ + subjective judgement + ‘the answer uses a different wording to that on the mark scheme but it implies the same thing so I’ll give it that’), or an unreasonable exercise of academic judgment (awarding marks to answers that ‘make sense’ but didn’t appear on or match with the mark schemes).

Basically the central idea is that all marking must be done following the mark schemes to the letter, or else it’ll be considered a ‘marking error’ and a remark will correct it. However I seriously have no clue how it would work out with humanities subjects because it’s usually just ‘indicative content’ on their mark schemes and often they say ‘accept any reasonable ideas’ at the bottom.

Also, for essay subjects, there are ‘levels’ against which the answers are marked, and then as if it isn’t complicated enough already, within each level there is a range of marks to be awarded. Answers are matched with the descriptors/criteria that define each level, and afterwards a judgement is made on which mark within that range of marks is given. All of these must require the marker’s own judgement/‘feel’ on the answers to decide on a definite mark to give. The process is inevitably and already opinionated whether this reform of the remark system happened or not, because it just is the way that essay/humanities subjects are marked.

In fact, a ‘definite mark’ never existed because it’s always just someone’s impression. What’s the difference between a Geography essay answer that got 6/10 and another that got 7/10? They’re both ‘level 3’, so they should both have met those criteria for a level-3 answer, but how come one got a mark lower than the other, and who decides? Who says how and if they are different at all, especially only with those simplistic 4-lines long descriptors, and with the ‘indicative content’ that can be extended indefinitely? And who defines ‘relevant’ or ‘reasonable’ in the line ‘accept any relevant or reasonable ideas’? And then in a remark, who are to dig in and find the ‘evidence generated by the Learner’ that supports the answer should actually be level 4 instead? And again, the answer might not have met that criterion in level 4 in the original marker’s eyes, but it might well have in the remarker’s mind; if those criteria are the ‘mark schemes’ for essay-based subjects, then which of the two markers are ‘failing to apply such criteria or procedures’ or not?

Nothing can ever be clear-cut, so the idea of this change failed even before it was put out. I've read the original official document illustrating the changes to remarks, and I am not convinced at all. It will work for science subjects and maths, but I think this new system is trying to achieve the impossible for humanities and essay subjects.
    It's just a very raw and flawed system. It'd be fine with science and maths, but it doesn't make sense to me at all for humanities/essay-based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    So we'd find out on track before getting our actual results?

Might have track open on my phone, then just refresh the page after I've looked at my grades tbh

ReputationRep:
    1 week

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I just realised I got my country code wrong in the telephone number section of UCAS and I was wondering if it's necessary to have it corrected. Is it important to my firm and insurance or will everything come in through my email? I have also opted for the Direct Contact Service which I believe allows other universities other than my firm and insurance to contact me with available courses if I somehow miss my original offers.

Advise me on this please!! If you think it's necessary to have it updated, how do I do it?

(Original post by MessyEffy)
    Papermate Inkjoy, they write beautifully ahh I'm in love😍

I recommend them to everyone and anyone!
    Haha you seem very passionate about your pens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC1996)
    I haven't been told what grade I got, I just know it was sufficient to meet the conditions of my course.
    According to their website that is a C in maths GCSE. So the grade you already have before a retake.
    http://www.keele.ac.uk/studyatkeele/...yrequirements/

(Also you posted in April that your offers were all unconditional - so how could your Track update yesterday to unconditional?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtlyCanter)
    Hey guys I just realised I got my country code wrong in the telephone number section of UCAS and I was wondering if it's necessary to have it corrected. Is it important to my firm and insurance or will everything come in through my email? I have also opted for the Direct Contact Service which I believe allows other universities other than my firm and insurance to contact me with available courses if I somehow miss my original offers.

Advise me on this please!! If you think it's necessary to have it updated, how do I do it?

Haha you seem very passionate about your pens
    Ring ucas today and correct it.

I'm sure most universities would spot it as an error and manually ring the right number but there's no harm in correcting it.

Where I used to work out phone system could only allow 50 incoming calls but unlimited outgoing (a BT restriction) so there was a policy to ring as many applicants as possible to keep the incoming lines free.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got an email this morning from student room saying 'university of Herts has saved you a seat' and talking about clearing. Is this just a generic email everyone gets, or does this mean they have accepted me and given me a space at there university via clearing? And are they kind of indirectly telling me I didn't make the grades for my firm and insurance choices?
    I'm pretty sure it's just a generic email, but can anyone shed any light on this? thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone nervous about exam results

ReputationRep:
    *delete

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling today?😊

ReputationRep:
    Is it true whichever uni we get into will email us at midnight on wednesday? So we know where we've got into before track tells us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashbosh123)

Ya! Stationery shopping is what i live for, i love that crap so much :')
    And maybe check eBay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.