Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    zomgoodness, looks like Mourinho's 2nd career home defeat is coming up.

ReputationRep:
    lolobayor

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic goal-line defending.

Mourinho slain in his castle.

ReputationRep:
    No wtf!? Also, goal.com is a piece of ****, what a fail change to the homepage. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    the ball just wouldnt go into the net in that game.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho finally lost at home :eek4: Why is this not bigger news?

It deserves thread of its own tbph.

ReputationRep:
    Do we discuss the Milan game here?

ReputationRep:
    I think it gets discussed in the ultimate match thread on the discussion sub-forum

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a minute, a Jose Mourinho team loses at HOME?! That sentence is not supposed to be typed. I was watching the cricket but flicked briefly to see them losing 1-0 but assumed the game had just started and switched back over to the cricket. Wow, what happened? Normally, they tend to nick a goal from somewhere. Still a brilliant record, wasn't it since 2002 that he'd never lost?

ReputationRep:
    Love it

ReputationRep:
    First time that all 3 big leagues have been decided on the same day? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Serie A has not been decided.

ReputationRep:
    Preciado is the man whose team broke Jose's over a decade long record, one of the sweetest moment in football. Enjoy it Manolo League is pretty much done and dusted. Barca will probably rest and put all effort on the CL and Copa. What a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Serie A has not been decided.
    It's okay, Sandeep. :console:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    From Mourinho's post match conference speaking about the Tottenham game:

"If Ronaldo does play, it is because he and I are taking a risk. Our doctor says that he will only be ready to face Athletic Bilbao next weekend, the same with Benzema. Marcelo is out for two weeks.

"Tomorrow, I'll talk to the injured players and only then will I decide whether we take the risk."
    It's all getting a bit desperate :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Real are out of the title race now. Barca are way better. No contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Welll.. hopefully we'll get a draw at the very worst.

And I think Porto have had the easiest draw. Spartak should be an easy opponent for Porto. Obviously Villareal (they'll probably get through) will be a tougher test, but again possible to beat them too.
    Better luck next season! Ah, it's nice to have the league confirmed with seeing as it's been obvious for a while but it just feels extra special that it was all confirmed at the Luz!

I’ll start with the game, I like Roberto and then part of me thinks he is absolutely pants! He can pull off some fantastic saves but he really is so inconsistent and makes some silly mistakes like for the first goal yesterday. I think the ref was a bit picky with things but all in all it was a decent game. I actually thought right at the end you had it but the post saved us, it was all very scrappy.

And also, the whole turn off the lights and turn the sprinklers on…that was low but haha, I quite enjoyed the flashing photography effect and some of the photos look great from it including all the ones of a topless Joao! Haha!

I can’t see us coming back from 2-0 down in the Taca though, purely because it’s at your ground and you’ll be up for this more than anything now so I can’t see Benfica letting off at all as you have one foot in that final! But we'll see what happens

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona youth B team incident during this weekend.

Two points lost, but a valuable lesson learnt

Sergi’s young players came into the 28th week eight points ahead of Espanyol at the top of their league and were looking for a win on Saturday at Castelldefels to take them a little closer to the title. With the game coming to an end and still goalless, Barça’s , Carlos Julio Martínez fired home without realising that the hosts’ keeper was lying injured on the ground. The goal was given as valid, but under instructions from their coach the Youth B team allowed Castelldefels through to score a goal themselves to make up for it.

That was a gesture that lost the team two points and with Espanyol winning allowed their rivals to close in on them, but the bigger lesson learned by the youngsters was once again that fair play is more important that just winning for its own sake.
    :adore:

Villa's response: It was a very nice gesture and something that should be heeded and repeated in many sporting areas”. “Even in a Barça-Madrid game? “ he was asked, “Yes, why not?”

:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Mohammed ‘Polo’ Ahmed, who is known as the ‘Dribbling Magician’ and is often regarded as the most technically gifted Ghanaian footballer ever, doesn’t buy the hype and says that at his prime he was better than Messi.
    “Me for instance, I was such a good player on the ball [better] than even Lionel Messi,” ‘Polo’ is quoted as saying by Ghanasoccernet.com. “I could do many things with the ball that he cannot do now.
    "I watch him play regularly and hear people saying he is the best footballer of all time but I disagree and hope most people who watched me will also do same.”
    He added: “We tend to hype footballers too much nowadays and I can tell you if we had got this kind of hype during our time then Messi would have been nowhere near me.”

‘Polo’ was part of the Ghana national football team that won the 1978 African Nations Cup on home soil.
    Can't find any videos of him.....

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: Clearly he wasn't the egotistical old fool.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.