Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    David Tennant's lines in his first episode are the cringiest, most embarrassing part of all the new Doctor Who. He grew into the role and was great, but if anyone thinks the transition to him was effortless they are deluded.
    I'm not saying it was effortless - I'm sure it took plenty of effort! But I actually think Tennant's first few lines showed me exactly the Doctor he turned out to be. If they were cringey, then I didn't mind.

I'd appreciate not being called deluded for difference of opinion.

The kidney joke is the writing...you can't really blame Capaldi.
    It could have been funny. It was Capaldi's lacklustre delivery of it that I didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    With the Time of the Doctor I will admit it wasn't my favorite episode. Though not for any canon issues or all that, I just found it quiet sad that in Matt's last episode around 15 minutes of it was taken up by the damn speech bits from that woman. I will admit Matt isn't my fav doctor. But I have always seen him as the Doctor plagued by bad writing. So rarely did he have a episode that was written in a way that allowed him to show his acting ability. To me Matt is the master of those one on one moments with characters and just showing passion in his characters. Evidence why I love his Rings of Akhaten speech which was just beautiful.

I just wish he could have been given a better send of. The episode was grand in scale yes and very showy off in nature. But I have always thought a much better send off would have just been a really well written episode where he got to show off the very nature of Matt's Doctor.

Oh well though it will be sad to see him go but I am looking forward to Peter

Though in other news I just ordered a sonic screwdriver universal remote :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I'm not saying it was effortless - I'm sure it took plenty of effort! But I actually think Tennant's first few lines showed me exactly the Doctor he turned out to be. If they were cringey, then I didn't mind.

I'd appreciate not being called deluded for difference of opinion.

It could have been funny. It was Capaldi's lacklustre delivery of it that I didn't like.
    So this is basically Tennant's first scene:

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

The kidney joke could not have been funny, it was a badly written joke,

I didn't know the kidney thing was supposed to be a joke ...

ReputationRep:

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

Tbh I still think it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be... remember he just regenerated so he really may of not known what kind of man he is and what kind of man he would become. Remember in the Waters of Mars we saw a similar side to the Doctor and how his more violent forceful side ''Timelord Victorious'' led to Adelaide's death

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)
    With the Time of the Doctor I will admit it wasn't my favorite episode. Though not for any canon issues or all that, I just found it quiet sad that in Matt's last episode around 15 minutes of it was taken up by the damn speech bits from that woman. I will admit Matt isn't my fav doctor. But I have always seen him as the Doctor plagued by bad writing. So rarely did he have a episode that was written in a way that allowed him to show his acting ability. To me Matt is the master of those one on one moments with characters and just showing passion in his characters. Evidence why I love his Rings of Akhaten speech which was just beautiful.

I just wish he could have been given a better send of. The episode was grand in scale yes and very showy off in nature. But I have always thought a much better send off would have just been a really well written episode where he got to show off the very nature of Matt's Doctor.

Oh well though it will be sad to see him go but I am looking forward to Peter

Though in other news I just ordered a sonic screwdriver universal remote :woo:
    I agree with these points, it somehow didn't seem to quite get to the heart of what Matt could offer the part and it didn't really review his achievements properly as a Doctor. To be honest, it felt rushed a lot of the time. I really feel that they should take a long, hard look at how they script the show now and stop trying to fill every episode to the brim with (often confusing or downright wrong) plot details and instead focus on character and a more gentle, interesting story development.

Peter's walk-on was amusing but not, I have to say, all that attention-grabbing other than on the level of "oh, he's arrived at last!" - he has a long way to go yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit. I just hope he can get out from under Moffat's confusions frankly.

ReputationRep:

I think that as bad as the "fighting hand" part is, you see the main part of Tennant's Doctor. When someone gives him their word, he expects them to stick by it, hence the "no second chances". He gives people his word and sticks by it, but doesn't take well to those who backtrack on their word. That's why he was merciless when it came to killing him with no regret, although I think that was just to show the extremity of what would happen if you did go up against him. Which is why you don't see much of it throughout his time.

The kidney joke was really bad. His facial expression reminded me of Tennant and I wasn't really that impressed. But then again, I felt the same with Smith with the fish fingers and custard (which isn't that bad) and how it was over the top, and was probably why it look me his entire time as the Doctor to actually like him. I didn't feel the pain of his regeneration until Amy came and said those three words, whereas with Tennant, I was bawling my eyes out. I still do, I can't watch his regeneration without crying.

ReputationRep:

First scene?! It was about his 20th. The Barcelona scene with Rose in the Tardis was his first scene for the purposes of comparison with Capaldi's first scene.

In any event, "no second chances" was one of the key themes of Tennant's Doctor, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    First scene?! It was about his 20th. The Barcelona scene with Rose in the Tardis was his first scene for the purposes of comparison with Capaldi's first scene.

In any event, "no second chances" was one of the key themes of Tennant's Doctor, so I'm not sure what you're on about.
    :giggle:

The you mean the Barcelona scene which made everyone complain that Tennant was trying to be too much like Ecclestone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    :giggle:

The you mean the Barcelona scene which made everyone complain that Tennant was trying to be too much like Ecclestone...
    Yes, that one.

I think that was probably the writing more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Bit meh. Wondering if I'm just getting bored of DW (or at leas the current writing of DW). Felt like it was trying to squeeze too many things in at once and just urgh.
    Same. I found both the 50th and this one completely underwhelming.

Did noone else have a problem with how at the start of this last series we are expected to accept that the Doctor was 200 years older without any aging but then in this episode after 300 years there is some extreme ageing?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Same. I found both the 50th and this one completely underwhelming.

Did noone else have a problem with how at the start of this last series we are expected to accept that the Doctor was 200 years older without any aging but then in this episode after 300 years there is some extreme ageing?
    There wasn't really extreme aging for the 300 years, just a few greying streaks - I don't think it was mentioned how long it was between the return of the TARDIS with Clara hanging on, and the heavily aged Doctor at the end... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    There wasn't really extreme aging for the 300 years, just a few greying streaks - I don't think it was mentioned how long it was between the return of the TARDIS with Clara hanging on, and the heavily aged Doctor at the end... :dontknow:
    It does - he says he's stayed in Christmas for 300 years as its protector. I too was wondering why he aged so heavily but just put it down to the fact that he was on his final regeneration and therefore could age - whereas before he couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    It does - he says he's stayed in Christmas for 300 years as its protector. I too was wondering why he aged so heavily but just put it down to the fact that he was on his final regeneration and therefore could age - whereas before he couldn't.
    As did I but now that it's been pointed out it is odd why he hadn't shown physical aging in The Impossible Astronaut when 200 years had passed, since it is still essentially his last regeneration.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Why does aging have to be of a constant rate? Can it not be variable? Perhaps in Timelords, aging is a lot more gradual for a certain number of years and then becomes a little bit more rapid as the years go on? That kind of happens to humans, they can get to a certain age and then poof, sudden deterioration, it's not unrealistic for the same to happen to Timelords.

ReputationRep:
    Other gripe is that if we take his age now as 1500 more than 1/3 (c.500+ years) of his life he has been Matt Smith. That seems too extreme to be perfectly honest.

ReputationRep:
    Other gripe is that if we take his age now as 1500 more than 1/3 (c.500+ years) of his life he has been Matt Smith. That seems too extreme to be perfectly honest.
    The Doctor now must be way way older than 1500 because He had only aged a little by 300 years when Clara came back and the war started.Now lets think Matt is 31 and he looked only about early 40s after 300 years and at the end of the episode he looked about late 70s so he must have spent around 1200 years in Christmas town by my calculations so The Doctor is around 2400 years old.We know The Doctor is lying about his age though because John Hurts War Doctor also died of all age making the Doctor already 1200 years old plus all the years before John Hurt-We also have to take into account the massive aging of Sylvestor Mccoy's and Paul McGann's Doctors too.Lets just say The Doctor is probably about 10000 years old.

ReputationRep:
    It's Moffat. I'm pretty sure he's trying to make it so we definitely can't forget him when he leaves as the showrunner by having his Doctor be the one who has lived the longest, been the youngest actor, and had the worst episodes and most convoluted story archs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernid)
    It's Moffat. I'm pretty sure he's trying to make it so we definitely can't forget him when he leaves as the showrunner by having his Doctor be the one who has lived the longest, been the youngest actor, and had the worst episodes and most convoluted story archs.
    Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.

(Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)
    Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.
    What was wrong with Hide's ending?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.