Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Its so hard incorporating them into this piece. Issues are fine, debates and approaches not so much

They probably will. Have you figured out how you'll go about note taking?
    If I can I'll print out the lecture slides beforehand add any additional notes to them in the lecture then add further notes after :yep:

haven't quite figured out labs yet though and I have 3 a week

ReputationRep:
    ohmyjesus done with that 3 day long D1 homework, chapter 1 on super boring algorithms is now complete, srsly why could I not opt in for M5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    ohmyjesus done with that 3 day long D1 homework, chapter 1 on super boring algorithms is now complete, srsly why could I not opt in for M5
    In my school only 3 of the 10 maths teachers can actually teach M5... The rest don't understand it well enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    Can't remember exactly but I think I've got 13 or so this year. Should be fun.

Fair enough, geog was soooo dull for me last year though. :sigh: I did well enough haha, got 4As, 1A* . No worries.

Lol, I'm probably not the best person to ask about this so you're probably better off starting a thread about it and taking my advice within a pinch of salt but here're my two cents from what I've learned from snooping around various threads on TSR. I was under the impression that once you've got a master's, PhD, etc, the university you did your undergrad in starts to matter less and less, especially if you got a 1st for your undergrad. I'd assume doing a master's at somewhere like Durham would only be a good thing and improve your chances. I see, that sounds really interesting, I so wanted to become an archaeologist when I was younger, ever seen Jackie Chan? Ouch, if they're a fair bit lower then that depends I guess - how much more do you love the course at Liverpool? I mean are the choices at Durham really quite restricted to just that or would you get more freedom to choose which modules you want to do in 2nd/ 3rd year. I definitely think though that if you can get a 1st from Liverpool and then do a master's/ PhD, that would help you a lot to go into the research field you want to. :yep: Bit of dilemma you're in tbh, you're probably better off starting a thread and talking to more experienced people.

We're in quite a similar situation tbh. :lol: Ideally, I'd love to go into research too (my field being maths though) but the pay that research mathematicians/ scientists get is somewhat deterring me. I really have no idea what I want to do in life. :lol: Oh, and dw about the essays haha.
    Oh wow! You'll be absolutely fine, though I feel like I'm cheating by only having 5, it seems like so much less than people on here! Though a lot do maths so that's probably why

Yeah, I can imagine it being a bit dull. Ah congratulations, absolutely amazing I feel ashamed to be pleased with my results now

Ah I see, that makes me feel a lot better. Heck, if I somehow produced amazing results in my undergraduate and managed to create an impressive application, I'd aim for somewhere like Oxford! They do an amazing postgraduate in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology :love: It does look great, not a common degree but I've always had a weird fascination with evolution/fossils etc Aww how cute! And I actually haven't At the moment, I love it a lot more, but I could probably look into the Durham course a bit more and then maybe my opinion will change. After all, we get plenty of time to decide on our firm and insurance, right? Oh I really hope so, thank you for the encouragement I'll consider starting a thread :yep:

Oooh wow! I wish I was good at maths That'd be an extremely interesting job! But yeah the pay isn't great which is a shame, it should be Well you've plenty of time to decide, I'm sure you'll go far in whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    D1 bin packing kill me now

D1 is so bad that its prevented me from doing other maths for about 2days

(Original post by adi19956)
    Once it's done it's done, keep powering through!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Mine from the last time was awesome, right?

(Original post by usycool1)
    I didn't get to read yours actually! I was away during mod recruitment last time, so I didn't really play any role in deciding the mods :sad: I'm sure it was awesome though :awesome:
    D1 sounds worse than s1 and when I learned s1 I was trying not to sleep through it!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see, that's never good. :lol: Does it make you like human any more though?

Sounds like a good plan. :cool:

I see. :lol: I don't know if you read my reply to your dilemma but I did say go where you think you'd be happiest! I know what you mean, you can always have a chat with people but in my experience, 'cliques' as we call it form pretty viciously in boarding/ private schools and it can be hard to get into friendship groups that have already existed for so long. New sixth formers usually end up making friends with other new 6th formers though, are there many new people?

No worries! Let me know how you get on and if you start feeling like you're easing more into it. :yy:
    Human is still boring :lol: just bearable...

:woo:

All the new people already knew each other because they came from the same private schools :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel.iced<3)
    Thank you so much, this was so helpful! I know you said you did one for chemistry but like you said they're probably very similar, what revision methods if any would you say are most helpful for gaining good marks in the ISA? When you did yours did your teacher/teachers do mock ISA's with you? And did you know what the experiment you had to carry out before you went in to do it? Sorry for all the questions
    In all honesty, I'm probably not the best person to ask about revision methods since I got a D in it but really, I'd say you can't really revise it since you actually would never know what they will ask, saying that though, going through past ISA papers/questions could kind of give you an indication about what they are actually looking for. I did do a mock ISA around Christmas time last year and got a B in that one, so its not easy to actually stay consistent if you don't have a natural aptitude for investigations. You should be told a week before the actual experiment the name of the experiment, so something like 'investigating the mass of copper in a 5p coin' or something like that, so you can actually go off and do a bit of reading on this topic.
    (Original post by lilGem)
    If I can I'll print out the lecture slides beforehand add any additional notes to them in the lecture then add further notes after :yep:

haven't quite figured out labs yet though and I have 3 a week

That sounds like a lot of paper will be wasted (well not wasted, but yeah). I think you'll probably get into it once you've got a feel for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'M IN TO AS FURTHER MATHS!!! :woo: if I can pass a test on Monday.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a lot of paper will be wasted (well not wasted, but yeah). I think you'll probably get into it once you've got a feel for it.
    I'll get into a rhythm of notes once I start :yep:

first texbook arrived yesterday, 670 pages of chemistry for the biosciences :eek:

ReputationRep:
    ugh why am i not surprised

I go up to discuss remarking S1 I get a **** ton of bull**** reasons for not such as
    - It could go down, yeah because it going down by 2 marks would devastate me
    - It costs money - well I offered to pay and they still denied, surely this is against freedom of education or something
    - What if you miss out on the A* by 3 marks? But I won't because 3 marks from S1 in fact ive secured more than enough to secure the 80% overall

Then I get bullied by the teacher despite being told to meet him at a specific time my other teacher is like GET BACK IN LESSON NOW... but surely the head of maths seeing me would've warranted my absence - nope it was a scape goat, I never can have a rational conversation with my Maths department

argh I ****ing hate this school

ReputationRep:
    ugh why am i not surprised

I go up to discuss remarking S1 I get a **** ton of bull**** reasons for not such as
    - It could go down, yeah because it going down by 2 marks would devastate me
    - It costs money - well I offered to pay and they still denied, surely this is against freedom of education or something
    - What if you miss out on the A* by 3 marks? But I won't because 3 marks from S1 in fact ive secured more than enough to secure the 80% overall

Then I get bullied by the teacher despite being told to meet him at a specific time my other teacher is like GET BACK IN LESSON NOW... but surely the head of maths seeing me would've warranted my absence - nope it was a scape goat, I never can have a rational conversation with my Maths department

argh I ****ing hate this school
    I don't know but talk with the teachers above the maths department?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leafy9)
    I don't know but talk with the teachers above the maths department?
    They won't even help

ReputationRep:

first texbook arrived yesterday, 670 pages of chemistry for the biosciences :eek:
    Lol, all your posts about uni are making me really nervous and really excited for it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, all your posts about uni are making me really nervous and really excited for it. :lol:
    :lol: sorry

another one just arrived

I'm slightly scared now given it's a single figure countdown now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    D1 sounds worse than s1 and when I learned s1 I was trying not to sleep through it!
    S1's not that bad

ReputationRep:

Wow, that is a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    The personal statement is stressing me out! I'm having a lot of difficulties reducing the amount of words...

Anyways, does anyone know any good AAA unis for Maths? So far I have down Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Bristol and I wanted to put down Bath aswell but my school thinks it's too risky and wants me to put down an 'insurance' choice just to be safe. Would not having an 'insurance' choice matter much? I haven't had the chance to go to many open days, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_P)
    The personal statement is stressing me out! I'm having a lot of difficulties reducing the amount of words...

Anyways, does anyone know any good AAA unis for Maths? So far I have down Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Bristol and I wanted to put down Bath aswell but my school thinks it's too risky and wants me to put down an 'insurance' choice just to be safe. Would not having an 'insurance' choice matter much? I haven't had the chance to go to many open days, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    just pick what you want honestly, my oxbridge advisor recommended a safer AAA or AAB uni but I chose bath as my lowest (for maths as well ).

My potential offers are basically something like this
    Cambridge - A*AA 1 in STEP II & III
    Warwick - A*A*A + distinction in AEA or A*AA + 1 in STEP ( I think?)
    Durham - A*AA
    Bristol - A*AA
    Bath - A*AB with 2 in any STEP paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_P)
    Same here, it's such a pain. I've got to the point where I'm pretty happy content-wise, but it's such a nuisance trying to cut it down below the 47 line limit especially.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that is a lot!!
    slightly less than my comparative vetebrate anatomy, function and evolution book though :moon: which looks sooo much nicer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.